Europe Trip

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:19

Re: Europe Trip

Post by MerlionInGermany » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 pm

tsh0202 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:25 pm
Hi,
Would like to find out from the experienced parents here.. is it necessary to bring kids for flu jabs if going to Europe in Dec? How many months before they travel?
Can I ask, why would it be necessary at all? Like there is more flu virus in Europe than in Singapore?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:47 pm

MerlionInGermany wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 pm
tsh0202 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:25 pm
Hi,
Would like to find out from the experienced parents here.. is it necessary to bring kids for flu jabs if going to Europe in Dec? How many months before they travel?
Can I ask, why would it be necessary at all? Like there is more flu virus in Europe than in Singapore?
More like the other way round :lol:

The effectiveness of a flu jab is very limited.

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MerlionInGermany » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Exactly. Which is why I asked why would it be necessary.

Lostsoul9
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Lostsoul9 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm

well apparently, from what i know, there are 2 types of flue vaccination, the northern and southern hemisphere influenza vaccine.. Every year, the composition of vaccines is modified separately for the northern and southern hemispheres; and it is seasonal with review every 6 months.

Based from WHO "The composition of vaccines is adjusted for the hemisphere in which the vaccine will be used. Thus, a vaccine obtainable in one hemisphere may offer only partial protection against influenza infection in the other hemisphere, although in some years the viruses in the northern and southern vaccines may be antigenically identical"

Anyway, decision to jab or not is really up to the respective individuals. I used to never believe in flu vaccine, but after my SO and little one caught H1N1 from our travels, and both were jabbed after they recovered, we do noticed that they do not get the cough cold bug as frequently as compared to me, who was not jab for this year..

tckiang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by tckiang » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 pm

The best time to go Europe is in May.

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jacsplace » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Going to Warsaw, Berlin, Amsterdam and Copenhagen later this month. Can anyone share their experiences using SIM cards? Thanks!

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by jacsplace » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi, I have a question, hope nobody thinks it's silly: did anyone wear your thermal innerwear starting from Changi Airport? Or did you go to the airport at your destination and then put them on? Just asking as I know indoors in cold countries will be at bearable temperatures, but once we venture outside, we'll be blasted by the cold. It's just that Singapore being so hot, not looking forward to wearing the thermal innerwear from here. But would be happy to find out what any of you did, if you don't mind sharing? Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm

jacsplace wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm
Hi, I have a question, hope nobody thinks it's silly: did anyone wear your thermal innerwear starting from Changi Airport? Or did you go to the airport at your destination and then put them on? Just asking as I know indoors in cold countries will be at bearable temperatures, but once we venture outside, we'll be blasted by the cold. It's just that Singapore being so hot, not looking forward to wearing the thermal innerwear from here. But would be happy to find out what any of you did, if you don't mind sharing? Thanks!
Because of the indoor/outdoor thing, I avoid wearing thermals. Where are you going? Unless you are going somewhere with extremely low temperatures and will be outdoors for extended periods, try layering with t-shirts and jackets instead. If going to a wintry place, I wear a long-sleeved T-shirt in Singapore, and already feel too hot! I carry the layers on board and put them on at the other side.

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MerlionInGermany » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm

jacsplace wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm
You can try packing the thermal and jackets in your luggage so that they are the first things you will see when you open your luggage. So in case you need them, you can easily access them upon arrival. But normally you wont need them if it is a short walk from airport to hotel shuttle/ rental car pick-up/ train station.

For us, we normally dont need anything upon arrival because we go straight to pick up the rental car. We just came back from -20 deg C yesterday. Was wearing a normal Sg t shirt, short walk from hotel to car, quickly threw luggage into car, drove to airport, returned car, short walk from car return to airport shuttle pick up, and after that, we were in the airport.

I sometimes wear slippers at Changi, and change to shoes upon arrival, so I will pack the shoes such that they will be the first thing I see when I open the luggage upon arrival.

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by jacsplace » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Simkhoo and MerlioninGermany,

We are going to Warsaw and then three other Europe cities after that. Temps in all four cities expected to be 4 to 11 degrees with rain. It's our first time experiencing such cold temps and my dd can't even stand near the freezers in Fairprice without shivering like crazy!

We'll be taking public transport from airport to Airbnb.

Found out from church friend who just came back from Copenhagen that she wore her thermal at the airport there, and based on your feedback as well, we may just do that, thanks!