Skipping school for holidays

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Skipping school for holidays

Postby burp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 pm

I would like to learn from the experience of parents who have ever taken their kids out from school to go on a holiday overseas- did the school make it difficult? Is it even impossible in some schools? I am trying to find this out for a friend who has a tendency to do this. Both parents are from overseas in the first place so their relatives and the grandparents are overseas too, and the family spends a lot of time away from Singapore. They like to extend Christmas holidays into the new school year, for example, or have longer March holidays. Though they have done this several times, the concern is becos' one child is going to a new school for Sec 1 next year, and it may become harder to continue!

burp
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Skipping school for holidays

Postby jacsplace » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 am

We did this for the first time this year. We went on a week-long holiday during the last week of term 2.

I informed the schools. My son's teacher was okay with it, but I think it's because he's in P1. My daughter's teachers were unhappy. They told me she will miss going through all the SA2 papers. Her maths teacher was good enough to let me know what holiday homework needed to be done, but the other subject teachers didn't bother and then complained about why she didn't do the work when she returned to school in term 3!

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Skipping school for holidays

Postby burp » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 pm

jacsplace wrote:We did this for the first time this year. We went on a week-long holiday during the last week of term 2.

I informed the schools. My son's teacher was okay with it, but I think it's because he's in P1. My daughter's teachers were unhappy. They told me she will miss going through all the SA2 papers. Her maths teacher was good enough to let me know what holiday homework needed to be done, but the other subject teachers didn't bother and then complained about why she didn't do the work when she returned to school in term 3!

Thanks! I wonder if secondary schools are stricter than primary about this.

burp
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas