Travel: Malaysia - Malacca

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Malaysia - Malacca

Postby allseasons » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Original Title: Go to Malacca alone with 2 children

Hi all,

I am thinking of going to Malacca with my 2 boys (aged 3 and 5). My mom is sick there. Need to go alone with my boys as my husband can not go with us.

Any ideas how I can get to Malacca safely with my boys? A few options in my mind:
1. Ask my husband to send me to Johor, and take bus from there. But how can I arrange our seats in the bus? It is almost 4 hours journey, the bus is two seater on each side... Will my DS1 seat alone and I seat with my DS2? Alternatively my DS2 seat on my lap, but it is quite tiring for me and dangerous for my DS2.

2. Take taxi directly from Johor to Malacca. But it cost much more.. (almost 200RM).

Any ideas please?

Many thanks...

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:10 pm

is train an option?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby shaynamommy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Maybe you can call up the travel agencies that run coaches from Singapore to Malaysia. I'm sure that some of them run direct coach services to malacca.

shaynamommy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:36 pm

shaynamommy wrote:Maybe you can call up the travel agencies that run coaches from Singapore to Malaysia. I'm sure that some of them run direct coach services to malacca.

Ya. I think this is a good alternative.
No offence, but the-paranoid-me shudder at the thought of the dangers a young mum with 2 kids may face when trying to get transport (coach and especially taxi) in Johor.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:18 am

Do not go to JB!

My colleague goes home to Malacca at least once a month and she takes a bus from S'pore. There are a number of companies but you have to buy early as tickets sell out very fast.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mrsbongz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 am

Hi, I think u should try to take a bus direct from Singapore, it is much safer and u do not have to manuveor you way in JB with 2 young boys..

Or alternatively would be for your husband to accompany u until u board the coach at JB, that way u don have to brave the customs by yourself, not that its that tough but bags and stuff plus to young boys? May be a challenge..

Would recommend u take the better coaches like aeroline with toilets as well as service staff, so u may get some help on the way.. I believe some of them actually has 3-in-row type of seats too.. Have a safe journey!!

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Anna Ng » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 am

Dear all:

Do not mean to scare your. Last 3 weeks, my sister in law - age 38 was missing in Malaysia. She went to work in the morning and never goes back home. The family dare not cancel her credit card and found that the card being used twice last week at a petrol station. So, they went to the particular petrol station and check, so bad, the camera manage to capture the head and cannot see the face.
Do not take coach fr JB, maybe spend a little bit more, take a good coach like suggested - Aeroline, directly fr S'pore. Make sure the whole journey, the 2 kids with u, even going to toilet. No joking

Anna Ng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby allseasons » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:42 am

Ohh... thank you so much for all replies.. :)). Yes, it will be much safer if I go with direct bus / coach from sing. My husband also didn't agree with my idea going to JB and take a taxi from there... Thanks all once again.. :))

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby thebusybee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:18 am

Hi, My home town is in Muar (before Malacca), there are some private taxi drivers who provide transport from home to home (fetch from ur home in s'pore and to your mum's place in Malacca).

My mum's been traveling with 2 nephews (1&4 YO last time) before whenever she's visiting my sis in S'pore on this type of private taxi. I'm not sure though if they drive to Malacca, can check out for you (there's this driver whom my sis & mum are his regular customers)

Fees from S'pore to Muar is RM55 per seat (not sure they've raise the price, 10 yrs ago was only RM45). If you book the whole car i think should not be more than RM300.

I'll go for taxi in Johor (provided your husband send you thru custom and board the taxi). RM200 is only less than S$100 (coach tics for 1A2K around S$50-70?) Because if taking coach you have to consider lugging your luggage/s and 2 boys over the custom clearance - could be a hassle.

It might be wiser to spend more to save time and comfort. Just my 2c!

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby allseasons » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:54 am

Finally my husband can take leave to send me to Malacca. We will take the direct coach, maybe more comfortable... Many thanks ya..

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas