Travel: Australia - Gold Coast

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Australia - Gold Coast

Postby lymmlim » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 am

Hi,

We planned to go for a week holiday in Gold Coast with my children aged 12 and 10 during PSLE marking days.

Anyone can recommend good accomodation, with kitchen facility and if possible able to see the beach ? Places must visit ? Could share with us ?

Thanks.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mckenzy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Surfers Paradise is a wonderful place to stay. Everything is very convenient and is more tourist-friendly. Broadbeach is a alittle more 'stuffy' and you will find more caucasians there. also less to do.

We spent our last trip at Chevron Towers. Its almost right smack in the middle of Surfers. It houses a big supermarket on the basement with bakeries and other stuff like fashion outlets.

You can see the beach, sunrise over the horizon..
You can cook... use the dishwasher... lounge in the living area... fully carpeted...

my ideal stay! wish i could have a condo like that...

a 200m walk brings you to the beach where there's a night market on wednesdays i believe..

If you really want the powderlike sand though... make a little bus trip to Broadbeach and further... up to Mermaid Beach...

http://www.chevrontowers.com/
Last edited by mckenzy on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mckenzy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 pm

some nice places to go:

bus down to the usual tourist stuff like Dreamworld and MovieWorld
bus down to the mega malls... Broadbeach area... north abit... cannot finish in one day
bus down to Harbourtown... outlet shopping till you pheng...
bus down to a fishandchip place which has a daily feeding for the pelicans... this one if you not resident you sure dunno wan...

another hideaway is the Nerang market... its a weekend market i think... got pony rides for the little girls... lots of cheap stuff.. oh ya... get your groceries from here... 3 kilo of big red juicy tomatoes for AUS$2 at closing time... lots of art and craft... can finish in about 2-3 hours...

spend abit more... rent a car and drive up to Sunshine coast for a day trip... ALOT to see there.. visit the lookout... pick strawberries.. visit ginger factory... germantown to get sweets and put the kids at the playground...

Goldcoast is really fun... i know a resident of sydney that goes there every year during the holidays with his kids...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Holiday Ideas

Postby prancingpony » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi Lymmlim,

We were at Gold Coast last December (our first time) and had the perfect apartment and a perfect holiday! It's callled Breakfree Paradise centre resort. it's at Hanlan street which is just round the corner of cavill avenue (their equivalent of our orcahrd road) and next to Marriot Hotel. You can choose 1, 2 or 3 bedroom. we had the 26th floor and had a spectacular view of the pacific ocean. The apartment comes equipped with ALL facilities - ironing board, washing machine, dryer, oven, microwave, you name it. I would highly recommend it. We booked online. Check it out in the internet.

Good luck!

prancingpony
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lymmlim » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks everyone for your recommendation.

I've make my booking during NATAS. Quite a number of resort, eg., breakfree in Surfer Paradise was fully booked during that period. :cry: But, I managed to reserve Mari Court at Wharf Road for 5 nights stay, hopefully not too bad. :pray:

We intend to do some cooking there. Any recommended supermarket nearby that able to get some chinese stuff, eg. rice, sauce, etc..

Thanks.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mckenzy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Wharf's road looks right in between Surfer's Paradise and Broadbeach...

Mari Court looks good... got pool summore...

most larger supermarkets will have what you need... Chevron has Coles as the basement supermarket... but i think abit too far for you to walk... best to scout around... or you might want to do your groceries on your way back from sightseeing then grab a bus down the Gold coast highway... you're like only 100+ meters away from the main road so shouldn't be a problem...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby buds » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:58 pm

insider wrote:This one also can consider:

http://www.pacificplazaapartments.com/locality.htm

location also along Surfers Paradise.

Went there about 10 years ago with my then 5 and 7 years kids for about 8 days. That time paid only S$175 for a 3-bedroom. Spacious. Bus stops to various theme parks are all nearby. Amenities are within walking distance.

PS: Not as luxurious as Mckenzy's reccommendation but good enough for me...

Heyya insider, i share similar thoughts. Dun mind ok-ok lodging as long
clean and safe for the kiddies, plus near amenities. A bonus if nearby
theme parks or other fun places...

Can share more? You've got me interested...

Any pictures from that holiday that you can
dish out for me.. :please: Pretty pleease...

And when's a good time to go?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lucky » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:37 pm

hi all

I have just booked our Gold Coast Tour during the Natas Fair and we will be staying at the following 2 bed room apartment.

www.azzuragreens.com.au/

Go to the website and take a look. This resort is new, only completely this year, complete with kitchen, 2 bedrooms, dvd player, internet and is near to all the major attractions. Also , there is a supermarket right beside the resort.

Have a great holiday ! :D

Lucky
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mckenzy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:56 pm

if december... please bring plenty of sunblock!

my family personally prefers autumn/winter holidays... so we visit oz in june... tried december but too many flies...

june is nice and a little chilly in the mornings/evenings which is what i like... by midday its like aircon in the outdoors... very comfortable temperature... can stay longer at the beach or outdoors in general.

had an evening of very light drizzle but thats about it... lasted for about an hour...

Azzura looks lovely man... but my kids and my wife would be bored to death...

personally i would welcome the rest and isolation from the shopping area... and sleep the whole day poolside..

8)

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yerdua » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi, may i noe what is the budget like to go gold coast? Is it suitable with a one year old bb?

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas