Myanmar (Burma)

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Myanmar (Burma)

Postby xiaostar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 am

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Myanmar (Burma)

Postby xiaostar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 am

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dnls_mum » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:25 am

Went to Yangon to attend a conference. Thought I'll share a little with KSP.

Took the opportunity to visit the Shwedagon Pagoda. Beautiful pagodas, but entrance ticket is very expensive at USD8 per person. You need to remove your shoes to go in. We left ours at the shelf provided. Then we saw locals carrying theirs in plastic bags. Didn't know we could do that, otherwise we would have done it too. There are many entrances so we were careful to return to the same entrance otherwise we would not have been able to locate our shoes. They provide wet wipes to clean our feet after the visit before we put on our shoes, which is quite thoughtful. Worth a visit for every first time visitors to Yangon.

Stayed at the Parkroyal which is a modern hotel. Hotel is clean and comfortable but bathrooms are showing signs of age. Had foot massage in the hotel. It was ok, but not up to standard of Thailand or Bali. Do note that hotels in Yangon is very expensive due to limited supply. As there is a big conference in town and the SEA games is ongoing, the Parkroyal was charging more than USD300 per night. I had corporate rates and paid USD200+.

Visited Governor's Residence, a luxury boutique hotel for lunch. It was beautiful. Resort style with lots of wood. Lunch at the restaurant by the pool was good. We went back for dinner on anther day.

A local friend suggested we go shopping at Scott Market. It is like old People's Park in Singapore. Lots of shops selling fabric for their traditional clothes, wood carvings, souvenirs, jade, gems, paintings etc. We were not into shopping so we spent less than half an hour there.

This short visit has made me interested in visiting other parts of Myanmar. I think I'll plan a trip to Bagan and Inle next year.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dash88 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Magical Mergui: Exploring Myanmar's unspoilt shores
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/t ... ilt-shores

dash88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dash88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:03 am