Going on Holiday with a 1yo - food?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Going on Holiday with a 1yo - food?

Postby Seunggi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

Hi

not sure if this is the right forum to ask but can a few experienced parents share how do you go about doing the above? I'm a first time mom and we're going to go on a holiday to Australia with a 1yo baby.

She's on full solids now and her meal mostly comprises of lunch, vege, meat and a bit of soup. I've not booked my accomodation yet but given her meals mostly require me to cook, I would reckon that i need to book an apartment that has a kitchen facility. And maybe buy those mini lunch box cooker and lug it with me? (crazy?)

Would love to hear how do you manage your kids meal if you had to stay in places such as a hotel where there is no kitchen facility (in fact we're going on a staycation this weekend and staying in a hotel!). My kid doesn't like the packet/bottled foods that is commonly found in the supermarket so I'm quite clueless!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Seunggi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Going on Holiday with a 1yo - food?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 am

Start teaching her to eat normal food before you go. I travelled to the US with a 14 mth old (this was ages ago, she's now 16yo) and just fed her off my plate mostly. She would eat any form of rice, potato, noodle/pasta or bread, and I would cut small pieces of meat and veg from my portion. Of course, it meant that I had to choose food that wasn't spicy or overly salty, or I would peel off deep fried coatings. You can usually ask for a bowl of water to rinse things off for her at restaurants, and sometimes they will agree to put gravies on the side. We would stop by supermarkets every couple of days to get snacks like crackers, fruits and baked goods to carry along. We bought milk powder as well and just made it up in the hotel rooms. I've never carried cooking equipment when we travel, but I always carry some cutlery - very useful for buying back and eating in the hotel room. When we get tired of eating out or the kids are just too tired to go out again, we often buy bread, sandwich fixings or roast meats, veg that can be eaten raw and fruits and picnic in the hotel room. My husband also carries one of those Swiss knives with multiple tools which can open just about anything you buy in a supermarket.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BBEwee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

If you are booking an apartment in Australia,the kitchen is equip with all the cooking stuffs.You just need to buy raw food.

I bought my daughter to Australia for holiday when she was 11/2 year old.I just gave her whatever food I take and milk. And sometime I will cook food in the apartment that I stay in the night.

BBEwee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Nihauma » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:07 pm

one year old can eat table food liao. let her eat whatever u r eating. i always try to order baby friendly stuff like mashed potato or soup or macroni...omelette...if she refused to eat for a meal or two it is ok...she get her supplement from milk. oh banana too... easily available and easy to eat...

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Not sure if Takashimaya still sells this. I used to buy their instant baby food. They have different flavour porridge. All you need to do is drop the packet into hot water for a few minutes, open and eat. The other thing that I will bring along will be instant brown rice porridge. Along the way, if we do cook for any meals, I will prepare porridge and put it into a thermal container. But that will be good only for 1 meal. Most of the time, we will order kids friendly food like macaroni, fish and potatoes and they will eat those.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Seunggi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 pm

thanks a lot for the tips!! i guess i'll start feeding her some of my food (and do some of the tips u guys mentioned above).

thanks again! i intend to buy milk powder there, saves me the hassle of lugging it over since they also carry the same brand. i'll carry enough for the flight.

Seunggi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Seunggi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

i forgot to say my kid is now 10 months so in 2 months time we're going to be travelling.

Seunggi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby happydl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

You can bring mini slow cooker there to cook your son porridge. There is supermarket in Australia.

For milk powder, you have to bring an unopened can and declare to the Custom.

When we went tour, my 8 mth son son ate instant cereal, bread, cake and KFC whipped potato without sauce.

happydl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fable » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm

When my son was 14 months (he's 7 now) we brought him to Perth, and he ate what we ate. I brought a pair of small scissors along to cut up food into smaller pieces and a spoon for him to eat with (just in case). We chose foods that were not spicy and less seasoned.

I never gave my son powdered milk - he just had fresh milk or yoghurt or just water. Its good to get them used to table food and trying different things when they're young - it makes it much easier to travel (and live) with them. We've travelled with my son to many places and don't generally get "kiddy food" - the only concession is to try to have some options that are less spicy.

fable
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Harlequin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Heinz jar foods. The most convenient and yummy food for babies and toddles. You just need a spoon :smile:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas