Recommend Chinese school/course in Shanghai

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Recommend Chinese school/course in Shanghai

Postby littlemissmum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 am

Hi

I am planning to send my dd to attend Chinese course in Shanghai this June. Anybody has contact or experience?

:thankyou:

littlemissmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Recommend Chinese school/course in Shanghai

Postby celeste.chua » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi littlemissmum,

I did it two years ago - for me, it was a desperate attempt to explain to the boys that Chinese is not just a subject in school, but a language which they must master - DS1 disliked his Chinese classes then. Am not sure if my experience is relevant to you...

Am sorry I have lost details of the school I took them to - it was a school that taught appreciation of the Chinese Arts and Culture, in a mall. They offered Calligraphy, Chinese Art, Music appreciation, Chinese Folktales and legends (jiang gu ke) lessons, and Chinese Chess and even, I remembered, Wei Qi Classes. I signed the kids up for a week of Chinese Chess and jiang gu ke. It was two hours per subject, per day. They start at 10am, break for lunch at noon (i pick them up), then go back to lessons again at 1pm. This article has some links for Chinese Culture Immersion lessons similar to what I did with the boys - http://suitcasesandstrollers.com/articles/view/shanghai. Actually, some of the suggested schools seem easier on logistics for parents - they will even arrange lunch for the kids.

Did it work? Somewhat. DS1 came back less resentful of his Chinese teacher, and very aware that folks do expect him to know the language. His attitude towards Chinese lessons improve, which was key to him actually learning in class (you know, rather than being present but not engaging his mind).

It was overall a positive experience for me. I was planning on a repeat trip in June this year, but with bird flu raging on, I'd probably wait till year end or next June.

Hope it helps!

celeste.chua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby celeste.chua » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi Littlemissmum!

I received your message in reply, but somehow lost it, hence posting it here - hopefully you will get it! :smile:

Certainly, if my plans for Dec is confirmed.

With regards to the timing of the summer camp - unfortunately China's programs are tailored with the international summer vacation months in mind, hence mostly start in late June. However, I'd suggest, for example with the Panda school house, you counter propose to them daily lessons based on their single sessions / hourly rate. Or simply visit a school (look for the "suburb" malls) you prefer, and discuss it with the principal / manager - highlight that you will only be around for ten days anyways and ask them to work out something... That's what I did - I find, in general, the Chinese are flexible if the business' on the table.

Good luck with the June trip! Let me know how goes!

Cheers!

celeste.chua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby littlemissmum » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Celeste

Thank you very much!

littlemissmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Holiday Ideas