Travel : Vietnam - Hanoi & the North

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:238

Re: Travel : Vietnam - Hanoi & the North

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:36 am

Well, I've booked air tickets and hotels for Vietnam in Dec. Another question: do we need much Vietnamese dong, or are US$ commonly accepted? What about credit cards, and is it safe to use them (because of scams, cheating etc)?

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by Dnls_mum » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 am

slmkhoo wrote:Well, I've booked air tickets and hotels for Vietnam in Dec. Another question: do we need much Vietnamese dong, or are US$ commonly accepted? What about credit cards, and is it safe to use them (because of scams, cheating etc)?
We brought USD. Change the dong at airport. If not enough, can change at the goldsmith shops in town. They give good rates. Actually they accept SGD too. I brought USD as I was paying my tours and cruise in USD. We paid for everything mainly using cash. But when on my business trip, I have used credit card to pay for hotel and meals at expensive restaurants, no problem. But I never use at small shops.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 am

Dnls_mum wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Well, I've booked air tickets and hotels for Vietnam in Dec. Another question: do we need much Vietnamese dong, or are US$ commonly accepted? What about credit cards, and is it safe to use them (because of scams, cheating etc)?
We brought USD. Change the dong at airport. If not enough, can change at the goldsmith shops in town. They give good rates. Actually they accept SGD too. I brought USD as I was paying my tours and cruise in USD. We paid for everything mainly using cash. But when on my business trip, I have used credit card to pay for hotel and meals at expensive restaurants, no problem. But I never use at small shops.
Thanks! It's still a long way off, but I thought I'd better ask while I was thinking about it. I guessed that US$ would be well-accepted and easy to exchange. Good to know about the S$ too. I generally try to avoid using credit cards in less-developed countries too, but it's good to have a backup in case.

I'm going to shelve this for the time being - must get my girls to focus on the rest of the school year first!

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by Dnls_mum » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:57 pm

slmkhoo wrote: Thanks! It's still a long way off, but I thought I'd better ask while I was thinking about it. I guessed that US$ would be well-accepted and easy to exchange. Good to know about the S$ too. I generally try to avoid using credit cards in less-developed countries too, but it's good to have a backup in case.

I'm going to shelve this for the time being - must get my girls to focus on the rest of the school year first!
So have you finally decided on Vietnam instead of NZ or Sydney?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:39 am

Dnls_mum wrote:
slmkhoo wrote: Thanks! It's still a long way off, but I thought I'd better ask while I was thinking about it. I guessed that US$ would be well-accepted and easy to exchange. Good to know about the S$ too. I generally try to avoid using credit cards in less-developed countries too, but it's good to have a backup in case.

So have you finally decided on Vietnam instead of NZ or Sydney?
Yes. The kids didn't show any preference for any of the countries, so we decided to go to somewhere nearer and cheaper. We'll leave Sydney till my cousin (who we were planning to stay with) has finished his renovations! That will leave more for us to spend on our 30th anniversary trip next year, without kids!

makanbees
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by makanbees » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Like!

Amethyst
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Amethyst » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:03 pm

My family is planning to visit Hanoi in mid December. Have not finalised our itinerary. Would like to check with experienced parents here if Sapa is worth visiting in December. Read that the rice fields would have turned brown and treks are muddy by then, so no more nice scenery? Also are there any short and easy trails for trekking, cos I doubt my legs can take the long and rough treks.

Another question, has anyone tried to travel between HCMC n Hanoi via Vietjet, the budget carrier? How's the experience?
Thks.

Amethyst
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Amethyst » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:04 pm

My family is planning to visit Hanoi in mid December. Have not finalised our itinerary. Would like to check with experienced parents here if Sapa is worth visiting in December. Read that the rice fields would have turned brown and treks are muddy by then, so no more nice scenery? Also are there any short and easy trails for trekking, cos I doubt my legs can take the long and rough treks.

Another question, has anyone tried to travel between HCMC n Hanoi via Vietjet, the budget carrier? How's the experience?
Thks.

happydl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by happydl » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:33 pm

During my trip 2 years ago, I didn't use credit cards. I use Dong mostly. USD were used mainly for the pre-booked items such as transfer, tour and hotel.

Even you pay in USD, they will convert the change into dong and gave you. They won't give the change in USD.

happydl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by happydl » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Amethyst wrote:My family is planning to visit Hanoi in mid December. Have not finalised our itinerary. Would like to check with experienced parents here if Sapa is worth visiting in December. Read that the rice fields would have turned brown and treks are muddy by then, so no more nice scenery? Also are there any short and easy trails for trekking, cos I doubt my legs can take the long and rough treks.

Thks.
Hi,
I went in early december 2 years ago. Yes the rice fields have nothing to see. If i remember correctly it was not brown but empty. I went to the cat cat village, abit muddy and was drizzling and yes our shoes were muddy. Only trekking at the village will get muddy. Other places not muddy. But scenery at the Cat Cat village are nice. Your kids will experience the tribe cultural.

Other sceneries are nice such as Sapa lake, Ha Rong Hill.

FYI, i didn't book any tour, I trek to Cat Cat village and wnet Sapa Lake and Ha Rong Hill and etc on myself. I went with 2 young kids P1 and P6 that time.

Just to share, at first my kids doesn't want to go Hanoi cos there's no theme park but after they went, they enjoy so much and told me they missed Hanoi. They like the Halong Bay Cruise and the overnite train to Sapa and the weather at Sapa. FYI, if you are lucky you may experience snow in Sapa. My kids enjoy seeing "smoke" from their mouth when they talk in Sapa. Very cold. Must wear winter jacket and gloves.