Travel : Vietnam - Hanoi & the North

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Re: Travel : Vietnam - Hanoi & the North

Post by ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 pm

annielovesboogeydog wrote:Heard Kim-Trump meeting later this year has its eyes set on Hanoi?
Lol. Unfortunately the ability to sign deals depends on the people meeting. The place they meet at has little bearing on the meeting.

Angelsdontexist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Angelsdontexist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:13 pm

Damsels Boutique Hotel in Hanoi Vietnam looks quite decent......

Photo Credits: https://www.theluxebrigade.com/damsels- ... ique-hotel

mitch86
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mitch86 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am

Vietnam is a beautiful country with friendly people and great food. My favorite places are Hoi An and Halong bay.

BranT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by BranT » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 am

Angelsdontexist wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Damsels Boutique Hotel in Hanoi Vietnam looks quite decent......

Photo Credits: https://www.theluxebrigade.com/damsels- ... ique-hotel
Looks very expensive too. I came across this Hotel while searching for some cheap hotels to stay in Vietnam but it is expensive compared to other hotels. It sure is a good place to stay. :smile:

AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by AnneS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Are there any travel agencies here that could help us with our Hanoi holiday travel? We are quite busy juggling our work and home duties and got no time in planning for the trip. Thanks!

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am

Any travel agency to recommend for a short trip to Vietnam or Cambodia? Thank you.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am
Any travel agency to recommend for a short trip to Vietnam or Cambodia? Thank you.
The usual suspects lor.

Unless you are looking for local tours, but the question would then be, where in VN and KH? Some places are more well-developed for tourism than others.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:04 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am
I only do F&E for these countries. Book LCC and hire a private driver at hotel concierge to take me to those farflung places like AKW, Killing Fields, Tuol Sleng, Cu Chi, etc.

Did you know Klook also sells half or full day packages to some attractions, but in the early years (90s and 00s), there was no Klook or the like so we had to resort to pte hire.

Private hire is good because I don't need any tour guiding service. I bought some history books from Cambodia and Vietnam bookshops to read leisurely at my hotel poolside. Our pte driver was at our beck and call at each attraction. He also recommended some famous colonial restaurants, handicraft factories, markets, latest malls, bakeries and Chinatown to us.
Last edited by .zeit on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Tks for replying.
For these countries, maybe it is better to join guided tours?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:70

Post by Estéema » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Star,
My family went F&E in HCM & Hanoi except for 2 days with guide fr a close frd whose retired parents brot us to seafood & countryside fresh air. We visited quite a few orphanages, cu chi, killing fields, etc just engaging some local guides which are plenty to choose fr near where we stayed in the city. Shopping & food is a breeze.

I’ve not gone to Cambodia on my own tho. Was on guided tour but they always bring us to places where the locals fleece us. I’m good at resisting but not many Sporeans coz all very “kind” hearted buying photocopied pics of Cambodia history, culture, etc posting US$10-20 w/o batting an eye. Most feel it’s OK to donate to their poor life until I pointed out how some of these kids hv mothers following (with thick gold necklaces)!

Hope holidays planning, Star!