Travel: Japan - General

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Re: Travel: Japan - General

Post by .zeit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 pm
littleprince wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:23 pm
Would you recommend doing a Mount Fuji day tour? I am just worried that it would be cloudy...

How come can go up but cannot go down? I don't mean we are going to do trekking. I think there should be day tours bringing us to see Mount Fuji from a distance?
yes , u can join day tour or overnight tour to Hakone -where u can view Fuji
stay around Lake Kawaguchiko also can view Fuji -
not sure abt cloudy or not . usu morn is clear view
Dec is also good time to see Fuji & cone - blue sky
littleprince:
Plenty of day tours to join from Tokyo. December may or may not be a good time to see Mt Fuji. Depends on daily weather forecast. I really mean DAILY, not the day before. You'll know by 8am that very day if certain stations are closed or not. If all closed, sorry your plans are screwed. The second time when I went to Mt Fuji with dc, the 5th station was shut down, so only the 4th was open. And there was a lot of snow piled up at 4th station. It was even snowing slightly. Fortunately, we wore snow boots and prepared ski gloves.

If you're trekking in Jun, I think there's gonna be snow from the 6th-8th stations. Must get a guide as local trekkers ever got lost before in the misty and mystical mountain. There're also ad hoc avalanches. Official trekking season isn't in June, but from mid-Jul to mid-Sep. Strong winds are expected.

littleprince
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by littleprince » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm

dimitri_can wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 pm
Last time i helped a friend do a v good itinerary. She paid me $150. But i spend 50 hours doing. Hope it can help u w ur planning.

https://drive.google.com/a/learnjapanes ... p=drivesdk
I just sent you a request to access your link, thank you so much!

littleprince
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by littleprince » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

.zeit wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm
MyPillow wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 pm
littleprince wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:23 pm
Would you recommend doing a Mount Fuji day tour? I am just worried that it would be cloudy...

How come can go up but cannot go down? I don't mean we are going to do trekking. I think there should be day tours bringing us to see Mount Fuji from a distance?
yes , u can join day tour or overnight tour to Hakone -where u can view Fuji
stay around Lake Kawaguchiko also can view Fuji -
not sure abt cloudy or not . usu morn is clear view
Dec is also good time to see Fuji & cone - blue sky
littleprince:
Plenty of day tours to join from Tokyo. December may or may not be a good time to see Mt Fuji. Depends on daily weather forecast. I really mean DAILY, not the day before. You'll know by 8am that very day if certain stations are closed or not. If all closed, sorry your plans are screwed. The second time when I went to Mt Fuji with dc, the 5th station was shut down, so only the 4th was open. And there was a lot of snow piled up at 4th station. It was even snowing slightly. Fortunately, we wore snow boots and prepared ski gloves.

If you're trekking in Jun, I think there's gonna be snow from the 6th-8th stations. Must get a guide as local trekkers ever got lost before in the misty and mystical mountain. There're also ad hoc avalanches. Official trekking season isn't in June, but from mid-Jul to mid-Sep. Strong winds are expected.
We are not going trekking with 3 kids, youngest 8 year old. Looks like I will scrap the idea to see Mount Fuji as the chances of not able to see is very high

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by MyPillow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:30 pm

my fren went in June - can see Fuji - botak one of course - no snow la
I went hakone in Dec - saw Fuji for 2 full days with beautiful ice cream cone .

u can still go Hakone - there are other things to do /see beside Fujisan , June should have more things to do compared to Cold Dec - longer day time too

https://www.hakonenavi.jp/international/en/

there is a fujiQ highland themepark where by u can see clear view of Mt Fuji too - June should be ok weather , not too cold - I yet to visit

Or go Gotemba outlet -also can see MT Fuji + branded shoppings!

dimitri_can
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by dimitri_can » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:32 pm

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Post by ammonite » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:59 am

Wondering if anyone tried staying in a capsule hotel?
I can’t decide if it will be an interesting experience for my kids just for one night or if it is not worth a potentially sleepless night.

dimitri_can
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by dimitri_can » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:45 am

dont recommend. ur kids sure cannot take it one.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Post by ammonite » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:02 am

:sweat: okay, perhaps they will try it themselves in future with their friends.

Hoping to get some snow in early December, is there a snow/outdoor onsen place that is recommended? We are open to taking the Shinkansen out of Tokyo for a few days. Thanks!

dimitri_can
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by dimitri_can » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am

try Hakone/Nagano

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:47 am

I checked out on one modern capsule hotel out of curiosity. Very posh; like a futuristic spaceship. Female and male guests occupy separate levels for that hotel. Some levels have fewer pods than others. Suspect might be for small groups. Mom will have to sleep with girl, while dad sleeps with son. Communal baths by gender. Lockers provided. Access cards by level, so maybe mom cannot visit son at night.

Expect drunken angmoh backpackers or salaried workers who miss the last shinkansen to sleep above you in the 'mortuary'.