Travel: Japan - General

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:69

Re: Travel: Japan - General

Post by Estéema » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Hiaweh wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:26 pm
Is there any place/area that we can venture out of Osaka as a day trip, besides Kyoto, Kobe and Nara, within 30mins-1hour by train?
For us, Kyoto is highly recommended. Nara is subjective. Unless you hv very young kids, they might enjoy. But be very careful with deers who might ‘bite’ for their food & scare yr kids. I didn’t enjoy the visit coz nothing much to ‘sightsee’ with deers. We enjoy more of their atmosphere, food and culture. Try their kabuki & theatre. Kobe not much except I managed to get nice soap fr the Garden (can’t rmbr name off-hand).

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by sky minecrafter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:56 pm

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 pm

MJ2009 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:04 pm
thanks for tips, links & advices, greatly apprec, ppl! 😍
If your budget is high, try Dynasty as it is owned by JTB.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by MyPillow » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:28 pm

phtthp wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm
In Japan, is there any scenic place to visit, the equivalent of "jiu zai gou fairyland paradise " ?
Quite difficult to compare ...
Tohoku probably looks abit, last time saw my ex colleague photo , on tour grp
I haven’t been to Tohoku , one of the place I wanted to go in Japan

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 pm

30min-1h only? Better stick to Kyoto. There's one SUBWAY (not Shinkansen) station between Osaka and Kyoto - Yamazaki where some tourists will alight to visit the Yamazaki Whisky Distillery. I know friends who are hardcore whisky fans. 15min away from Osaka only.

I do not think you've enough time for Hiroshima and Miyajima. It's 1h 25min by NOZOMI one way. But if you are willing to take a 14-hr day trip from Osaka, it's of course doable.

Very good food in these 2 places. Will talk about the must-eats when I'm free.

I aborted Nara at the last minute, as timing was not good (no Sakura in Dec). Besides, we already saw many free-roaming deer on Miyajima island.

Himeji is a must-visit. UNESCO site. Will combine with Nara next time.
Last edited by .zeit on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:69

Post by Estéema » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Zeit,
You MUST make a Sakura trip to Kyoto next Spring. It’s awlfully mersmerising! Think I shared some pics for my April trip if u rmbr

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Post by ngl2010 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 am

Estéema wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:33 pm
Hiaweh wrote:
Is there any place/area that we can venture out of Osaka as a day trip, besides Kyoto, Kobe and Nara, within 30mins-1hour by train?
For us, Kyoto is highly recommended. Nara is subjective. Unless you hv very young kids, they might enjoy. But be very careful with deers who might ‘bite’ for their food & scare yr kids. I didn’t enjoy the visit coz nothing much to ‘sightsee’ with deers. We enjoy more of their atmosphere, food and culture. Try their kabuki & theatre. Kobe not much except I managed to get nice soap fr the Garden (can’t rmbr name off-hand).
DS enjoyed playing with the Nara’s deers so much until we spent almost one whole day in Nara! And he was a teenager when we visited Nara.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by sky minecrafter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 am

MyPillow wrote:
phtthp wrote: In Japan, is there any scenic place to visit, the equivalent of "九寨沟 jiu zai gou fairyland paradise " ?
Quite difficult to compare ...
Tohoku probably looks abit, last time saw my ex colleague photo , on tour grp
I haven’t been to Tohoku , one of the place I wanted to go in Japan
東北 Tohoku is great - certainly much colder and lonelier than 本州 Honshuu. Will send phtthp & you recommendations later, when I can, haha...

I'd agree with ngl, Nara deers can be very kawaii for youngsters.

P1a17a
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by P1a17a » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:23 am

Hiaweh wrote:
U can also visit Arashiyama which has the famed Bamboo forest. There is a monkey park up the mountain if u dont mind hiking. We spent a day there reaching in the morning & left at late afternoon to make it back to kyoto for dinner. My child enjoy the carnival atmosphere of the street lining the bambom forest

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Hiaweh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 am

In osaka, which area is best for travel from Kyoto and then to Kansai airport? Namba, shin osaka, or Osaka station area?