Hotel rooms/number of guests per room policy?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Hotel rooms/number of guests per room policy?

Postby hky1216 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 am

We are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 kids) traveling to London/ Paris for about a week in July.
My question is this: do hotels monitor how many people stay in a room? There are going to be 4 of us going, but we don't mind squeezing in a room that's intended for 2 people so that we can save money instead of having to either book two rooms or pay for a more expensive suite-type room. I wouldn't want to book a room for 2 people, arrive, and be turned away because really 4 people will be in the room (Of course, all 4 of us wouldn't be at the check-in counter...one or two of us would do that while the rest walk around the hotel/gift shop or something like that).

So basically, after giving you the background/nature of what's going on, does anyone know or has anyone experienced hotels monitoring the number of guests in their rooms in Europe? Maybe it's a silly question, I'm just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with it who could reassure me or warn me. Thanks a lot!!!

hky1216
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Hotel rooms/number of guests per room policy?

Postby straffan23 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am

So far, I have not come across this policy being enforced in any of the hotels we have been to in UK/Europe. Children sharing bed with parents are usually free, and a travel cot is also provided for free. However, you need to do more homework before making the reservations. For example, our hotel room in Paris was very tiny and have little space after putting a cot and parking our luggage and pram.

For your travel in the UK, you could try to stay at places such as the Travelodge. They are like 3* hotel with all the basic needs, clean, and quite decent sized. They are usually fairly accessible, too. If you are lucky, you could get family rooms (comes with sofa bed) and a king sized bed. You could also bring along a simple bedsheet for sleeping on the sofa.

One of the things we do is that we toggle between squeezing in a room and having space for everyone when we travel from one city to another. This way, everyone can catch up with sleep (and not fall sick!). So like first place might be a hotel with king bed + cot. Second place might be a villa with beds for everyone. Third place might be a room again, last place might be an apartment with sofa bed... Anyway.. have fun!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 am

You don't mention the age of your children. My experience is that European hotels are fairly strict, but do allow younger children (age can vary from hotel to hotel, often restricted to under 12yo) to share with parents if they do not ask for an extra bed or bedding. You should read each hotel's policy carefully. If you arrive with 2 teenagers, I think some hotels will not allow them to share your room.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blessed Homemaker » Tue May 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Not too sure about Europe as I've only traveled there with adults. But based on my experience in Australia, they are very strict. I was told it is for some safety issue, fire safety or something? Do be open about the no. of people staying in the hotel, usually they allow young children to sleep for free. Alternatively, ask for connecting rooms, if any.

Blessed Homemaker
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dnls_mum » Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 pm

How old are your kids? If they are pretty young, then not a problem. But some smaller places may only allow one child max. Older kids and teenagers will probably be noticed. Hotels in UK/ Europe are generally quite strict because of fire safety rules. It can affect their license. If you stay in big hotels, you probably won't be noticed. But hotels in Europe can be small and it is so clear how many people walk in and out. It'll be so embarrassing if you are caught. You don't have to stay expensive hotels. b&b in UK have family rooms that can accomodate you comfortably. Smaller hotels are also not very ex. Rest is so important during vacation. Otherwise fall sick so sian. Just declare the correct no of people and let hotel tell you can or not lah.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Blessed Homemaker wrote:Not too sure about Europe as I've only traveled there with adults. But based on my experience in Australia, they are very strict. I was told it is for some safety issue, fire safety or something? Do be open about the no. of people staying in the hotel, usually they allow young children to sleep for free. Alternatively, ask for connecting rooms, if any.

It is for safety issues. Also, insurance claims/compensation (if something happens) may be affected if you under-declare the number of people to a room.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 pm

I just went tripadvisor and checked out the first few B&Bs. They have family room or connecting room. Bed and breakfast for 4 is about £150-160. Pretty reasonable by London standard and it includes a cooked breakfast which can cost £10 at least per person. So you may want to check these out. At least no need to pretend and hide and worry of being caught with more people than you declared. Have fun in London. I'll be there for a biz trip in 2 weeks and I'm actually looking forward to the biz trip for once! :rotflmao:

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AimeeFox » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:13 pm

I am not really sure about hotel in London/ Paris if they monitor the number of guests in a room, but mostly you will have to add a payment for the exist person. When we had our vacation in Malaysia, we stayed in Kajang Hotel and we add additional payment for exist number of guests because the room available that time is only good for 2, and we are 4.

AimeeFox
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby busybaby » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:00 pm

It really depends on the age of the children. Hotels have different policies wrt the number of guests permitted in the room. Booking.com usually has this policy listed. I will not attempt to deviate from their policy so as to avoid embarrassment and/or unpleasant surprise such as the room/bed being too small. Good thing about hotels in Europe is that a number of them offer family rooms that can accommodate 4 or more guests (I guess Europeans love to travel in groups/with families).

Hubby and I travelled with our 2 kids (1 infant and another <4yo) to Europe earlier this year and we managed on king size beds (my 17mo din want to sleep on the cot provided foc by the hotels) for 18N. When the children are older and are willing to sleep on their own, will certainly need to book a family room or an apartment to accommodate all of us comfortably.

busybaby
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby busybaby » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:03 pm

It really depends on the age of the children. Hotels have different policies wrt the number of guests permitted in the room. Booking.com usually has this policy listed. I will not attempt to deviate from their policy so as to avoid embarrassment and/or unpleasant surprise such as the room/bed being too small. Good thing about hotels in Europe is that a number of them offer family rooms that can accommodate 4 or more guests (I guess Europeans love to travel in groups/with families).

Hubby and I travelled with our 2 kids (1 infant and another <4yo) to Europe earlier this year and we managed on king size beds (my 17mo din want to sleep on the cot provided foc by the hotels) for 18N. When the children are older and are willing to sleep on their own, will certainly need to book a family room or an apartment to accommodate all of us comfortably.

busybaby
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas