Krisflyer

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Krisflyer

Postby sundaymorning » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi
i am currently claiming miles to fly from SG to Houston for a family visit, however i am forever on the wait list, what is the chance of it being cleared ? could any advice ?
thanks in adv!

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Krisflyer

Postby girl_next_door » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:10 am

My husband usually handles the flight tickets but he says that you have to book in advance, especially during peak period. Otherwise, you have to call SIA everyday (that's what the secretaries does) to check if anyone have cancelled their flights.

girl_next_door
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 am

Yes, you have to book really early. But for those those peak flight, sometimes it's just not possible to get a confirmation so you might just have to choose alternative dates, purchase your own tickets or move to higher redemption tier, etc...

We experienced it with NY booking last year. We called SQ regularly to check on status but till the last weeks, it was still not possible to get a redemption ticket.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby TravelMummy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 am

sundaymorning wrote:Hi
i am currently claiming miles to fly from SG to Houston for a family visit, however i am forever on the wait list, what is the chance of it being cleared ? could any advice ?
thanks in adv!

It depends on your membership tier. If you hold a PPS or Solitaire membership, your chances are much improved as you are bumped to the top of the wait list. I find the customer service folks generally helpful. My advice is to book a few dates around which you intend to go rather than just hope for the one date to come through. And weekdays are easier than weekends. Flights often come through at the last minute. I have had redemptions come through a few days before departure. I often do flight redemptions. So far never had a problem. Good luck!

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dnls_mum » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Last year I managed to redeem 5 tickets during the peak nov/ dec period for this sector. But I actually booked in Feb! A good 9-10 months ahead. This is a very popular sector because Houston is a Star alliance member, UA's hub and near the centre.. So it is a good transit stop for those on SQ to connect to the other domestic flights. I understand from previous discussions with the Ticketing staff that each flight only has 6 saver redemption tickets. Wait list normally doesn't work unless you are redeeming only 1 ticket. The only times I manage to redeem at short notice of say 2 or 3 months is for single tickets. Even then, not successful all the time. Good luck!

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 am

Hi ladies,
thank you for your advice :))
Just called SQ , she told me peeps are more likely to cancel 3 days before departure and i tried to book many different dates on the wait list to increase the chance.
I am only an elite silver member so i just hope there is available seats as the air tickets from SG to Houston is pretty expensive via SQ .

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TravelMummy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 am

Good luck! :xedfingers:

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Hi there,
i have managed to get tickets with my family using Standard instead of saver .
Thank you so much !!

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkysymphony » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi, would like to know if KrisFlyer points can be used to purchase air ticket for friends? E.g A single One-way ticket back to Singapore.

pinkysymphony
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:47 pm

pinkysymphony wrote:Hi, would like to know if KrisFlyer points can be used to purchase air ticket for friends? E.g A single One-way ticket back to Singapore.

This can be done provided your friend is listed in your nominees listing.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Holiday Ideas