Travel: Japan - Okinawa

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Japan - Okinawa

Postby zoolet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Have anyone visited Okinawa before? My family and I are planning to visit the place but not very sure it is ok to travel there during Dec. Is it an easy accessible place by bus or by car? Please advise.

zoolet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Okinawa

Postby ptb7476 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Anyone been there ?

how is it ?

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Travel: Japan - Okinawa

Postby tankee » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:22 am

SINGAPORE - The Okinawa prefectural government and Changi Airport on Tuesday inked a Memorandum of Understanding aimed at strengthening the aviation network between the two.

The move comes as both parties seek to work closely to promote tourism and trade exchanges between Okinawa and Singapore as well as other countries in the South-east Asia and South Asian regions.

Some initiatives designed to achieve that include working with airlines to create new direct routes between the Japanese prefecture and Singapore and promoting these flights to increase the number of visitors from Singapore and nearby regions to Okinawa.....

http://news.asiaone.com/news/relax/okin ... t-sign-mou

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Chin-A » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:34 am

Hi..sorry a little overdue response.

I've been to Okinawa with hubby on his company incentive trip in Nov 2010. It was group tour with Five stars, itin was typical. I think totally possible to do F&E. Was mostly at the main island (naha and honto), visited the churaumi aquarium which at that time was probably biggest in SEA, before the one in sg was up. They have whale shark (sg don't) so it's still worth to check it out. Took a boat ride (with glass bottom) out to the coast. Interesting experience if you have not done it before..sighting, I feel depend on luck, for us, there were couple of fishes, sea cucumber, urchins and stars. Went to the Nago pineapple park, was raining so I stayed bk in the bus with my boy who was having his nap. There's a tram ride and can get the local produced tarts and the brown/black sugar. There are various castle ruins, but I don't remember the one we went to :P Also the American village (lunch and shopping) near the air base and war memorial site. Tour guide left us on the last night at their main shopping/walking street Kokusaidori, which is not that impressive. But there are lots of local food joints and souvenir shops. While staying at a beach resort hotel near the Manza beach, we saw people going for diving classes. I think if you're keen in water sports, you will find Okinawa an attractive place to visit. If not, traditional Okinawan cuisine is probably the other reason to visit, nothing spectacular like hokkaido seafood. We asked the guide to recommend a joint for their local delights. Their ramen is like the lor mee/hokkein mee flat yellow noodle cooked in clear broth, quite different from your typical sapporo ramen style. Their pig trottlers are cooked quite like chinese style...strong influence from Taiwan maybe? I missed out the interesting looking 'sea grapes' which is seaweed/sea coral that look like a small light green bundles of grapes, it's usually taken as salad. We ended the 5 day trip with a 3 day extension to taipei (since it was transit station).

Chin-A
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby celeste.chua » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Hey, just to share, silkair's operating a direct charter service to Okinawa from changing, from 9sep '14 till 3 jan '15. http://www.silkair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/mi ... 092014.jsp

celeste.chua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas