Travel : Paris

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel : Paris

Postby melody68 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 am

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Paris that is nice, clean, convenient/accessible and has reasonable price ?

I understand that the metro is complicated and I heard that the hop on hop off bus is not that good compared to London. Can anyone suggest how do we go about in Paris?

Has anyone been to La Vallee? Just wondering if it's worth going there?

:thankyou:

melody68
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Travel : Paris

Postby floppy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm

melody68 wrote:Can anyone recommend a hotel in Paris that is nice, clean, convenient/accessible and has reasonable price ?

I understand that the metro is complicated and I heard that the hop on hop off bus is not that good compared to London. Can anyone suggest how do we go about in Paris?

> "Reasonable" means different things to different people. Perhaps, you have a daily budget for room rates in mind?

> The metro is not complicated at all. Just remember two basic things: 1. the colour of the line (also indicated with a number) and 2. the end destination of that line. Thus, coming from the north, you may be heading to St-Michel (Notre Dame). The line you want to take/look for would then be the purple line (line 4) heading to Porte d'Orleans.

You can download/save a copy of the metro plan or download the app to help you in your planning (details on RATP website). The metro (when used in combination with the RER) is useful 95% of the time and is likely to be your main mode of transport to get around Paris. Do note that the metro can be rather "unfriendly" towards kids on strollers. You are likely to encounter more stairs than lifts/escalators.

> La Valle is so-so. Good for a half-day trip but I don't see anything that's really worth our time (other than the Longchamp). On the other hand, Disneyland, just a further stop away, is another story :wink:
Last edited by floppy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tanky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Check out Citadine apartments?

Tanky
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jjxy mum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:15 pm

We stayed at Suite Novotel Paris Porte de la Chapelle.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dolphinsiah » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Paris Hotel Accommodation is very very Expensive. :yikes:

After weeks of researched , I have booked my next year hotel stay in Paris.

It will be next to the Paris CDG airport. IBIS CDG Hotel- next to the RER station

I chose this Hotel as I found that most of Paris attractions is within less than 1 hour from the airport.

Will buy Paris Vista Passes -3 Days 5 zones tickets and try to travel to all the attractions.

After that I will stay in Paris Disneyland for 3 nites. Then I will take TGV to Switzerland.... :boogie:

Hopefully my information is helpful :xedfingers:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm

floppy wrote:
melody68 wrote:Can anyone recommend a hotel in Paris that is nice, clean, convenient/accessible and has reasonable price ?

> "Reasonable" means different things to different people. Perhaps, you have a daily budget for room rates in mind?

> The metro is not complicated at all. Just remember two basic things: 1. the colour of the line (also indicated with a number) and 2. the end destination of that line. Thus, coming from the north, you may be heading to St-Michel (Notre Dame). The line you want to take/look for would then be the purple line (line 4) heading to Porte d'Orleans.

You can download/save a copy of the metro plan or download the app to help you in your planning (details on RATP website). The metro (when used in combination with the RER) is useful 95% of the time and is likely to be your main mode of transport to get around Paris. Do note that the metro can be rather "unfriendly" towards kids on strollers. You are likely to encounter more stairs than lifts/escalators.

> La Valle is so-so. Good for a half-day trip but I don't see anything that's really worth our time (other than the Longchamp). On the other hand, Disneyland, just a further stop away, is another story :wink:

Agree that the metro is not complicated. Just follow Floppy's gd advice and you'll be alright :rahrah:

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby melody68 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for all your inputs! :smile:

melody68
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby dolphinsiah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Melody68,

Do share if you can find any hotel accommodation which charges reasonable rates.

For the IBIS hotel which I have booked I have paid EUR270 for 2 nites -3 Adults with breakfast.

But I still have time to cancel this booking and get a full refund if I give notification 60 days ahead.

So please share if you are able to find better accommodation like next to the RER...Happy Planning :xedfingers:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby melody68 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Dolphinsiah,

My friend said it is good to stay around 7th and 15th districts with postal code 75007 and 75015, respectively. She recommended Ibis Hotel rue Cambronne Paris but at the time I checked, the rate was higher.

I made temporary booking at Novotel Paris Gare Montparnasse for 1178 Euro inclusive of Vat for a room for 2 adults & 2 kids for 6 nights but without breakfast. I booked using booking.com

I guess the hotel rate you got is pretty reasonable. May I know which site you used to book your hotel?

melody68
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby floppy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 am

dolphinsiah wrote:Paris Hotel Accommodation is very very Expensive. :yikes:

After weeks of researched , I have booked my next year hotel stay in Paris.

It will be next to the Paris CDG airport. IBIS CDG Hotel- next to the RER station

I chose this Hotel as I found that most of Paris attractions is within less than 1 hour from the airport.

Will buy Paris Vista Passes -3 Days 5 zones tickets and try to travel to all the attractions.

I would, most certainly, not want to stay near the airport, unless I have a flight to catch.

Yes, the metro/RER is convenient but the time taken to/fro will wear you down.
I would suggest spending a little more (actually probably not much more, if you consider the Paris Vista passes you are going to spend) and get a ibis hotel within the city.

P/S: if you are staying in the city, you don't need the Paris Vista passes at all (IMHO, useless). Even if you intend to use the metro/RER extensively, it'll still probably be cheaper to buy tickets per travel.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas