Travel: Malaysia - Langkawi

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Postby BigDevil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Planning a trip to Langkawi with the family.

Can anyone suggest a children friendly place to stay? And also what are the things we can do?

Thanks!!

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby BigDevil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Hmmm...noone here been to Langkawi?? :?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby chixchix » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Original Title: Langkawi & Kota Kinabalu

:wink: Hii all, I am intending to bring my kids to either Langkawi or KK for a 3-4 day holiday. Can anyone suggest which one has more beaches & a better place to buy handicrafts.?

Thanks

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jsmum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi chixchix,

I can only comment on Langkawi since I went there in June this year.

My kids enjoyed the underwater world. I missed out on the island hopping. My colleage who went told me if I went for the island hopping, I get to see eagle island.

Nice scenery. Quiet island that comes "alive" at night. Lots of souvenir /duty free shops, spa, seafood eateries in the island. Not much handicraft. Most of the handicraft like the ones you can find in Malacca. A very relaxing trip indeed. Food prices are average.

I am also looking at KK for next year trip. Still gathering information. The attraction that attract me in KK is 1Borneo Hypermall, Sabah's largest shopping mall .

jsmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 pm

hi Chixchix

I went to Langkawi during Aug National day break. My kids simply enjoyed it.

As Langkawi is a small island, we rented a car at RM70/ day and roam around the island ourselves.

Places of intereste we went is Underwater world, the cable car ride (which is quite scary but an experience) cos it's great height. U can even do sky walk at the top of the mountain (subject to wind conditions).

We also did elephant rides and animal feeding at the Geopark, just beside the cable car tower.

Also went Island hopping tour via speed boat was fun ! Basically, they will bring you to 3 islands, one being the famous pregnant lady island. There was also eagle feeding which was indeed an eye opener for my kids and me as well ! Also, there will be one island where you can ride boats manually in the lake and also do some swimming, fish spa.

One last thing to add, pls don forget to go to seafood restaurant, Orchid Ria in town. They served very good seafood at very reasonable prices !

Enjoy your trip ! :D

Lucky
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jennyksl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:44 pm

hi lucky, i am gog next mth.. can i have the car rental company name? or i can rent the car at the airport.. i will be staying at berjaya...

wat is the charges for the island hopping? is by speedboat? i scare me got seasick...

jennyksl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 pm

jennyksl wrote:hi lucky, i am gog next mth.. can i have the car rental company name? or i can rent the car at the airport.. i will be staying at berjaya...

wat is the charges for the island hopping? is by speedboat? i scare me got seasick...

I didnt rent the car from the airport but from my hotel. Berjaya is a nice place, just a stone throw away from the cable car tower. U can even go horse riding there as I saw posters advertising.

For 1sland hopping, you can just to to their town centre and book a day tour. I think it's RM 25/pax for half day tour. The tour operator will pick u up from yr hotel and provide transport back to hotel as well. Pls wear your swim suits first as there is no toilet changing facility at some islands.

Yes, you via go via speed boat which can get a bit choppy.

Overall , the experience has been very positive !

Lucky
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby UmmuMuadz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:46 pm

jennyksl wrote:hi lucky, i am gog next mth.. can i have the car rental company name? or i can rent the car at the airport.. i will be staying at berjaya...

We went there last year and also stayed at Berjaya.

You can rent the car at the airport. There are a few companies there. We rented a van though as ours was a big family. :D Since we had hotel transfers, they sent the van to our hotel and 4 days later we just left the van at the hotel before we left for the airport.

There are many shops around Berjaya. Also, they have duty free shops selling chocolates and perfumes. We bought lots of sweet stuffs. :lol: Did not buy any perfume though cos very expensive.

For handicrafts, there are shops nearby selling those stuffs at reasonable price. You must explore those shops located along the smaller roads. :D

Minyak gamat is one of the trademarks of Langkawi. And they come in many version, the traditional minyak, cream, lotion, etc. :D

Also, they have pasar malam every night at different location around Langkawi. Pasar Malam - good food and lots of cheap stuffs... must bargain!! :P

UmmuMuadz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chixchix » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:24 pm

how is the Four Seasons Langkawi ? Any nice resort to recommend ?

As for KK, anyone stayed at Tanjong Aru ?

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jennyksl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:40 am

with S'pore driving license, we can drive d car in langakwai rite? or do we need to convert to anyting?

jennyksl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas