Travel: Malaysia - Port Dickson

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Malaysia - Port Dickson

Postby tinkfirst » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Original Title: PORT DICKSON

Hi! Has any family gone to Port Dickson for holidays before? Care to share their experiences? Thinking of bringing our family of four there this school holidays. Are there Good beaches, things to do there?Chalets to recommend? Eastern part of Malaysia like Redang, Kuantan, Desaru , Tioman are having Monsoon, so we thought of a nearer Beach but not as far as Langkawi. Thanks!

tinkfirst
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Check this out, Avillion PD, highly recommended for family :

http://www.avillionportdickson.com/

I recalled it was around RM350-400, but seems much higher in the website. Maybe you should call them and check instead . . . oops :oops:

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 am

I've stayed in Avillion Port Dickson twice. The first time I stayed, it was fun, the food was delicious, the water extremely clear. That must be 5 years back.

So we decided to stay in Avillion again & did so last June. The place lost it's charm the second time round. Not sure second time, the place lost its magic or the water does not seem to be as clear as before. The food was not fantastic. The breakfast spread is acceptable but for lunch and dinner, we usually drove out. Cheaper and nicer too.

The place is still popular. I tried booking water chalet a month before the travel date. Nothing left. So, I end up with garden chalet instead. Garden chalet not too bad. Very near to the swimming pool. Stayed in the water chalet earlier which I much prefer.

Besides Avillion, there are some other resorts. Be very very careful when selecting. Some resorts when we drove by looks really run down. Some without a beach and some with beach that are very dirty.

If you decide to stay in Avillion, do not go to the Avillion private beach on the right. It's muddy. Instead walk to the left side of the resort towards the public beach. It's sandy and cleaner. Here are some pictures:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tinkfirst » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 am

Thank you so much EN. May I know the approximate driving journey and time to PD? Do we pass-by any sightseeing places for stopover or just head straight to the chalet?

tinkfirst
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jsmum » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:34 pm

I have heard good reviews abt "The Legend" at Port Dickson. Wonder anyone been there? http://www.legendwaterchalets.com.my/

I have been to Avillion about 3 years back. Initially I book for 2 nights stay but check out hotel after 1 night stay because the sea was rather polluted and there was a Bollywood filming going on at the resort and many parts in the hotel were cordoned off. However there is a "kids club" in the resort that can keep the kids occupied.

jsmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi tinkfirst. We took approx 5-6 hours of driving thru Tuas checkpoint. We were not sure if we made the right exit (no GPS). So, we might took the longer way instead, hence the long hours. There was quite a number of police ambush, lining up cars at the side. So, we didn't dare to speed up.

On the way back, we saw a museum nearby. Might be the army museum?But didn't stop for it. Looks interesting but was rushing to go back home.

Another thing is, the water is nice during high tide. May be around 11 am ish.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:55 pm

jsmum, is it the right side or the left side of the beach?

The right side of the AVillion beach is horrible. Kind of reminded me Pasir Ris sea. The left side of the beach, is as per the picture below. The water is clear and green. Use to see some fishes but strangely didn't see any last year.

The Legend is quite new. However, I heard there is no beach. The room lay out is funny too. To access the bedroom, one must walk through the toilet. If someone is bathing, no one can access the room from outside or those inside the room can't walk out. Look at the Legend website and scrutinize the room layout.

Another is to read TripAdvisor on the resort.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby penglee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:44 am

hi,

went in 2006. Visit the Ostrich farm (is a mini zoo), kids like to see monkey perform , and Ostrich races.

Romantic layout with big room. Wake up can see Sea.

Read our blog for more pic and stories.
--> http://sengkangbabies.blogspot.com/2006/12/port-dickson.html

You can walk under the chalet in low tide..
Outdoor bathing is cool, and feels so liberating

If drive average 150kmh, 3hours can reach (includes one toilet break).
On our way back, we pass a few resorts, example Tiara.
Did not enquire further, but noticed carpark full of SG cars.

If time allows, maybe can drop by Malacca for some Yummy food before heading back home?
Last edited by penglee on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

penglee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby eyktay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:04 am

Is Port Dickson affected by monsoon?
Can go during Dec?

eyktay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:05 am

eyktay wrote:Is Port Dickson affected by monsoon?
Can go during Dec?

I rmb my parents don't bring us to PD during year end. Only during June hols.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas