Travel: Japan - Hokkaido

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Japan - Hokkaido

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Original Title: Hokkaido in Dec

Will be having our holidays in Hokkaido this dec and still very unprepared for it. Understand temp will be 2deg to minus.

Any tips from those who had been to Hokkaido during winter? How much winter wear to bring? What are the 'must bring' clothings?

HELP!!

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby znzyzyzx » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:45 pm

We were actually planning to go Hokkaido initially, but then dh heard that the second wave of H1N1 seems to be happening in Japan now, so end up decided not to go. Now dont know where to go for holiday.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby radiantmum » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi full cream,

I was planning Hokkaido initially when thinking about Japan but decided against it after as priority is Tokyo for my kid and the schedule will be too rush but Hokkaido is definitely on my next travel plans - saw my friend's pics beautiful snow scenary and cheaper shopping lcation than Tokyo too!

Here are the tips for winter prep.

1. Long john & tights (make sure tight and don't be kiasu buy bigger size ;-p) - MUST
2. Sweater & Coat (preferring the type that can pull up to cover your mouth) - MUST
3. Thinsulated hat (cover ear type) & gloves (don't go for leather as looks nice only - MUST
4. Lip balm & moisturisers - MUST
5. Heat pads
6. Ear Muffs, scarfs - - was optional for me.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:16 pm

We went to Hokkaido during Dec hols a couple of years back. IT was cold but after the 1st 2 days, the body sort of accustomed itself to the temperature, and it didn't feel so cold.

With the sumptuous food you get to eat and the warm onzen baths, I am pretty sure it will be alright.

For my kids, they wore their thermal only when in ski resort and after so much exercises, up and down the slope, they were sweating in the snow. On other days, just a t-shirt + a sweater + a water proof winter jacket. And

BTW, we didn't get those down feather jackets that the salesman normally promote to keep warm below 0 degrees. It's something waterproof, not as bulky and good for below 10 degrees. And importantly, need not be dry clean.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby nani » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi

Anyone has recommedation on where and how to book land tour in Hokkaido? Prefer to join a tour there then frm Singapore.

MTIA :)

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chixchix » Fri May 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Which airport should I get off at to get to Hokkaido ? Hows the shopping there ? Is it a good time to go in June ?

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Fri May 21, 2010 10:36 pm

The airport at sapporo

which airlines you are planning to fly

tankee
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Sat May 22, 2010 6:36 am

chixchix wrote:Which airport should I get off at to get to Hokkaido ? Hows the shopping there ? Is it a good time to go in June ?

i went in early june last year and i missed out on seeing the flowers in bloom except at the greenhouse. but temp was ok: 14-18 deg C. a bit of rain but i managed to get a glimpse of the last sakura tree in bloom up on a mt.

i landed in chitose airport, transferred from narita. (originally was supposed to transfer from kansai but tour agency changed it last min due to h1n1.) there is no direct flight to any hokkaido airport from s'pore. you gotta fly to oaska or tokyo and transfer to a domestic airport (and thus a smaller plane) to fly to hokkaido. but your tix to hokkaido will include all transfers.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Hello all

Anyone has tried booking a domestic flight from narita to hokkaido for holidays?

There after,how do u arrange and book a land tour from there?

Can someone please share with me your experience , thanks.

regards
Joy

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby carebear » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 am

Just came back from Hokkaido 8D7N, fly and drive by prime travel.
Chartered flight direct to Sapporo.
Superb holiday, wonderful service by prime travel.
Was a self drive trip with english GPS guide.
Food was scrumptious and the hotels were 5 star!
This was one of the most splendid holidays i have ever had!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas