Budget Airlines - which ones has the worst OTP?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Budget Airlines - which ones has the worst OTP?

Postby junemum72 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:56 am

When you travelled on budget airlines, so far do they depart/arrive on time? (I guess normally is no?)

I took Scoot to gold coast early this year, the flight was delayed for 4hrs, didn't manage to land at GC airport and got diverted to Brisbane. (Strange thing was some planes managed to land at GC around the same time)

Returned was delayed for half a day as well.

My maid took Cebu pacific back 2x. 1st was ok but the recent trip, they cancelled the return flight. I bought a travel insurance for her but I couldn't claim as the airline did not give "satisfactory" reason to support my claim.

Anyone can share Air asia, tiger airways, jetstar etc?

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Budget Airlines - which ones has the worst OTP?

Postby hquek » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:10 pm

so far my worst experience was with Tiger. These are quite dated experiences (about 4-5 years since I last took). Dunno why each time I take, invariably the flight will be delayed. The worst was like 3-4 hour delay for my flight to Macau....imagine me, hubby, parents & 2 small kids. Lucky there are plenty at Changi airport to keep kids active.

My ex-coll got bumped off her Tiger flight once. I don't recall her telling me she was late checking in. Anyways, was told flight full - so she had to go back home and await next day's flight. This from maybe 2-3 yrs ago. Since then not sure if they improved.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby junemum72 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. Seems there isn't any improvement with Tiger after so many yrs. On and off, can see complains on the paper. Recently saw one on the paper that they "bumped" some passengers off due to over booked. Sometimes I wonder, why only Tiger's complains are surfaced on papers.

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby floppy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 pm

junemum72 wrote:Thanks for sharing. Seems there isn't any improvement with Tiger after so many yrs. On and off, can see complains on the paper. Recently saw one on the paper that they "bumped" some passengers off due to over booked. Sometimes I wonder, why only Tiger's complains are surfaced on papers.

Fact: all airlines, be it LCC or FSC, overbooked.
It's how the different airlines treat the overbooked pax that set them apart. Naturally, the more reputable airlines will ensure that the inconvenienced pax is taken care of - either by transferring the pax to another flight/carrier, or giving the pax a hotel room stay, or providing the pax with a small payout, etc. I would expect nothing of this sort if I'm booking on a LCC.

Also, don't hope for too much on the LCC being on time - unless you happen to be on the first rotation/flight of the day. The LCC model works because their aircraft utilisation is high i.e. quick turnaround and minimum ground time. Unfortunately, delays due weather/traffic/technical are fairly common in this part of the world. 5mins here and there can all add up, resulting in a bad on-time performance.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby junemum72 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 am

As I understand in the aviation industry term, a delay up to 15mins does not affect their OTP.

Yes I do agree, delay is unavoidable at times. But you don't see commercial planes delay their flights as often as budgets.

Generally just want to hear feedback from those who take budgets.

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby weyw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:27 pm

jetstar is ok for OTP ...took it 2 yrs ago...

took tiger last yr ...it is ok.

this yr taking tiger again...but this year so happen , they reschedule the whole flight back that i am having to an earlier slot on the same day.

weyw
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby weyw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 pm

tiger is a subsidary of SIA ...so naturally ppl will focus more on it...

if you go to fb...jetstar /airasia/tiger pages, all have bad feedbacks...

weyw
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby floppy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:03 pm

junemum72 wrote:As I understand in the aviation industry term, a delay up to 15mins does not affect their OTP.

Yes I do agree, delay is unavoidable at times. But you don't see commercial planes delay their flights as often as budgets.

Generally just want to hear feedback from those who take budgets.

Yes, +15mins is considered as being punctual. Unfortunately, the LCC model means that they are more exposed to issues on punctuality than the FSC.

Our regional airports (including Changi) are facing a lot of traffic jams due to increased traffic and often, there is a long queue to take-off/land. This can result in significant delay (not a fault of the airlines though) to all carriers. Unfortunately, most LCC operates on short-haul sectors of 4 hours or less. As a result, they don't really have the luxury of making up on lost time during flight compared to carriers operating on the long-haul sectors.

LCC also tries to increase their aircraft utilisation based on quick turnaround. 35mins of ground time in transit (for LCC operating on narrowbody) is common (compared that to 50mins or more for the FSC). If a flight is delayed, they can't make for it because they don't have any slack to play with.

As a result of 5mins here and 5mins there, by the time they get to their second or third rotation (i.e. the mid-day/evening tranches), their OTP is often screwed.

That said, some people can be quite lucky and won't get to experience it. Some people, unfortunately, see it all the time.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iluvcruising2 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:16 pm

junemum72 wrote:When you travelled on budget airlines, so far do they depart/arrive on time? (I guess normally is no?)

I took Scoot to gold coast early this year, the flight was delayed for 4hrs, didn't manage to land at GC airport and got diverted to Brisbane. (Strange thing was some planes managed to land at GC around the same time)

Returned was delayed for half a day as well.

What was the cause of the delay? Was it an airline/airplane issue or was it because of bad weather or other factors beyond the Airline control?

My guess is that there was some weather element involved, otherwise there is no reason why the Scoot aircraft would have been diverted to Brisbane.

iluvcruising2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas