Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Factory Outlets in Orlando vs New York

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Re: Factory Outlets in Orlando vs New York

Postby jetsetter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am

MMM wrote:
jetsetter wrote:Anyone went to Woodbury Outlets recently? Is it worth our 1 day there?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

I went in June this year and concidentally I think I've been visiting woodbury annually for the past 3 years. We never fail to spend up to a day there and so far, I don't think we visited all the stores during each visit as we would do it selectively and still spend so much time.

As a friend described it, even those non-shoppers will also go "wild" and buy something at woodbury.

Always like to make a trip to woodbury as there are a wide variety of brands including the higher end ones (eg. Ferragamo/ burberry/ gucci).

Generally discounts are good except for the tax rate. Eg. in New Jersey, there is no tax for clothes and some other items but in woodbury it was more than 10% if I don't remember wrongly so some of those items are better bought in macys at NJ malls eg. men business shirts

Tks for your fast response, MMM!

I'm thinking of just shopping at the usual downtown Macys, Saks 5th Ave, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom cos I only hv 4 key targets:

1. Skincare/cosmetics (USA is a paradise for such items)
2. Branded shoes (Christian Louboutin/Manolo Blahnik/Charlotte Olympia/Giuseppe Zanotti!!!)
3. iPhone6/Apple Watch (not sure if it's cheaper and also I need to come back to pay customs taxes...)
4. Toys

Currently, I'm not quite into those Italian/Brit luxury labels you mentioned (for that matter, RL, Coach, DKNY, Tommy, Nautica, Banana Republic, Guess, Gap, J Crew, CK)...that's why I'm still contemplating if I shd travel to Woodbury... :frustrated:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:26 am

jetsetter wrote: Tks for your fast response, MMM!

I'm thinking of just shopping at the usual downtown Macys, Saks 5th Ave, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom cos I only hv 4 key targets:

1. Skincare/cosmetics (USA is a paradise for such items)
2. Branded shoes (Christian Louboutin/Manolo Blahnik/Charlotte Olympia/Giuseppe Zanotti!!!)
3. iPhone6/Apple Watch (not sure if it's cheaper and also I need to come back to pay customs taxes...)
4. Toys

Currently, I'm not quite into those Italian/Brit luxury labels you mentioned (for that matter, RL, Coach, DKNY, Tommy, Nautica, Banana Republic, Guess, Gap, J Crew, CK)...that's why I'm still contemplating if I shd travel to Woodbury... :frustrated:

Looking at your target list, you can potentially give woodbury a miss. I have not tried looking for toys in woodbury but we went to the toy'r'us at times square.

apple products also don't think you can get it at outlet. Might as well go to apple stores downtown.

For macys, remember to get the overseas visitor discount card. That is a good discount and usually on top of sale price.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lexis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:41 am

Go during Christmas week.

i was in NYC for 7 days over Christmas (didn't go woodbury) and those places you mentioned (Saks, Bloomingdales) and the boutiques (jimmy choo) all had stuff going at 50% or more.

i think it's on Boxing Day that they have GREAT sales. but the crowds are really horrible - be prepared to queue to get in (the queue forms even before opening), although once you get into the store it is not that bad.

lexis
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:07 pm

lexis wrote:Go during Christmas week.

i was in NYC for 7 days over Christmas (didn't go woodbury) and those places you mentioned (Saks, Bloomingdales) and the boutiques (jimmy choo) all had stuff going at 50% or more.

i think it's on Boxing Day that they have GREAT sales. but the crowds are really horrible - be prepared to queue to get in (the queue forms even before opening), although once you get into the store it is not that bad.

MMM wrote:Looking at your target list, you can potentially give woodbury a miss. I have not tried looking for toys in woodbury but we went to the toy'r'us at times square.

apple products also don't think you can get it at outlet. Might as well go to apple stores downtown.

For macys, remember to get the overseas visitor discount card. That is a good discount and usually on top of sale price.

:thankyou:
Looks like I'll skip Woodbury.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby makanbees » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

makanbees
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Technospaz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:16 pm

I was just in NYC 2 months back and yes, spent an entire day at Woodbury. I was blown away. My wife and I got there at 9am and didn't leave till almost 12 hours later. We rented a car and drove there from NYC (relatively easy to do provided you use GPS). It took us about an hour to get there and we're glad that we did. Every Premium Outlet Mall we've been there has warranted the use of a car (to store what we buy) and Woodbury was no exception.

Woodbury has heaps to see. It's the first one to also have a Toys'R'Us outlet but this was a bit disappointing. I preferred the Disney outlet store (which was also there) :) Elsewhere, each boutique was pretty well-sized and had lots to offer.

My recommendation (if you go) is to head there on a weekday and do so early. If you're into brands like Tory Burch, Kate Spade etc., it's essential that you get there early before the tour buses arrive. Once they do, it gets crowded.

Foodwise, definitely go for Shake Shack :) Love it.

Technospaz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jetsetter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Technospaz wrote:I was just in NYC 2 months back and yes, spent an entire day at Woodbury. I was blown away. My wife and I got there at 9am and didn't leave till almost 12 hours later. We rented a car and drove there from NYC (relatively easy to do provided you use GPS). It took us about an hour to get there and we're glad that we did. Every Premium Outlet Mall we've been there has warranted the use of a car (to store what we buy) and Woodbury was no exception.

Woodbury has heaps to see. It's the first one to also have a Toys'R'Us outlet but this was a bit disappointing. I preferred the Disney outlet store (which was also there) :) Elsewhere, each boutique was pretty well-sized and had lots to offer.

My recommendation (if you go) is to head there on a weekday and do so early. If you're into brands like Tory Burch, Kate Spade etc., it's essential that you get there early before the tour buses arrive. Once they do, it gets crowded.

Foodwise, definitely go for Shake Shack :) Love it.

:hi5: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Had that a few times too in NYC. Yums.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Holiday Ideas

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres