Travel: China - Shanghai

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Post Reply
pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Oct 24,
Total Likes:122

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by pirated » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:06 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
floppy wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:
Thanks floppy..

I was feeling quite unsettled thinking if I should be prepared to fly back early :lol:
Take the train option if you want a cheaper alternative to flying. G train from Shanghai to Xiamen is under 7 hours. Boat ride to Jinmen is around 40mins.

Plus Xiamen is a very nice place to extend your holiday.
We are within driving distance to macau. So either macau or HK. Sorry for the confusion for posting under the Shanghai thread.
You must be around Zhuhai then. Pop over to Macau for the visa run. Who knows, you may be able to win back your travel cost!

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 12897
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:56

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:12 pm

pirated wrote:
You must be around Zhuhai then. Pop over to Macau for the visa run. Who knows, you may be able to win back your travel cost!
What run? Those marathon run by Visa company? Not in Zhuhai..need to drive there.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Oct 24,
Total Likes:122

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by pirated » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:16 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
pirated wrote:
You must be around Zhuhai then. Pop over to Macau for the visa run. Who knows, you may be able to win back your travel cost!
What run? Those marathon run by Visa company? Not in Zhuhai..need to drive there.
Making a trip is called a run. Making a trip to get a new visa upon entry is called a visa run.

Buy an airticket to fly to clock the mileage to reach a certain status is called a mileage run

Making a trip to deliver narcotics is called a drug run

:rotflmao:

dachzael
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 25,

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by dachzael » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:18 pm

pirated wrote:People of certain cities in china do talk VERY loudly. It may be mistaken for shouting.

It is just the way they talk, as if everyone else is deaf

Cultural differences.
I was certainly able to differentiate between talking VERY loudly vs shouting. :evil:

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Oct 24,
Total Likes:122

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by pirated » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:19 pm

dachzael wrote:
pirated wrote:People of certain cities in china do talk VERY loudly. It may be mistaken for shouting.

It is just the way they talk, as if everyone else is deaf

Cultural differences.
I was certainly able to differentiate between talking VERY loudly vs shouting. :evil:
Depends. For months I thought those guys were quarreling. Actually they were just discussing. They used to be my office people.


MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 12897
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:56

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 pm

pirated wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:
pirated wrote:
You must be around Zhuhai then. Pop over to Macau for the visa run. Who knows, you may be able to win back your travel cost!
What run? Those marathon run by Visa company? Not in Zhuhai..need to drive there.
Making a trip is called a run. Making a trip to get a new visa upon entry is called a visa run.

Buy an airticket to fly to clock the mileage to reach a certain status is called a mileage run

Making a trip to deliver narcotics is called a drug run

:rotflmao:
:rotflmao: I got it now. We don't visit XXXXXXX leh.

dachzael
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 25,

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by dachzael » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 pm

pirated wrote:
dachzael wrote:
pirated wrote:People of certain cities in china do talk VERY loudly. It may be mistaken for shouting.

It is just the way they talk, as if everyone else is deaf

Cultural differences.
I was certainly able to differentiate between talking VERY loudly vs shouting. :evil:
Depends. For months I thought those guys were quarreling. Actually they were just discussing. They used to be my office people.
The differences are in their body language when one speaks loudly vs shouting in anger...

I am surprised that you mentioned it may be mistaken for shouting... even my 5-year old daughter is able to tell the difference. :rotflmao:
Last edited by dachzael on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 12897
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:56

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:29 pm

dachzael wrote:
pirated wrote:People of certain cities in china do talk VERY loudly. It may be mistaken for shouting.

It is just the way they talk, as if everyone else is deaf

Cultural differences.
I was certainly able to differentiate between talking VERY loudly vs shouting. :evil:

Agree with the shout talking..I believe most people from our part of the world will receive compliments for being soft spoken due to our culture..

But some are just being rude.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8165
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:236

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by floppy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:41 pm

MrsKiasu wrote: Agree with the shout talking..I believe most people from our part of the world will receive compliments for being soft spoken due to our culture..

But some are just being rude.
Our part of the world as in this tiny red dot? Chinese people isn't really known to be soft spoken.

And echoing pirated, I would say most people from our part of the world (i.e. Singaporeans) can't really tell the difference unless we live in China for a while.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 12897
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:56

Re: Travel: China - Shanghai

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:59 pm

floppy wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote: Agree with the shout talking..I believe most people from our part of the world will receive compliments for being soft spoken due to our culture..

But some are just being rude.
Our part of the world as in this tiny red dot? Chinese people isn't really known to be soft spoken.

And echoing pirated, I would say most people from our part of the world (i.e. Singaporeans) can't really tell the difference unless we live in China for a while.
Yes, I m referring to our tiny red dot..

Post Reply