Taiwan or Australia with Kids in December??

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Taiwan or Australia with Kids in December??

Postby bbsin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:39 am

Hi

Anyone can share and recommended their experience.

We are thinking of either going to Taiwan or Australia in Dec with the kids.

What to do and see??

Thanks

bbsin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Taiwan or Australia with Kids in December??

Postby finnfinn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:50 am

you can actually google travel blogs for ideas on where to eat, see and do... they are really informative.
i am going to taiwan with kids this dec too for 5 days... will be going to taipei 101, jiufen, shifen, yeliu, keelung, danshui old street, xin bei tou and shop at ximending and wufenpu, eat at night markets
we went to australia melbourne 2 years back with tour group... maybe you can check out the itinerary of the tours... basically those are the things you can do

finnfinn
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby OrangeJuice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:54 am

u may want to consider the weather ...

Taiwan in Dec is "mild" winter....AUS in Dec is summer, very hot and dry

Cheers :)

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bbsin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:53 pm

thanks.. will check out.

bbsin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bleeze » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:04 am

bbsin wrote:Hi

What to do and see??

Thanks

We went to Taiwan 3 years back. It was a 7 days trip. We went during Dec. Weather was cool. We visited Taipei 101, farmstay at Touchen, jiufen, danshui, leofoo etc. The most impressive places for children was a boat ride to watch how oyster was produced. It was very educational as the guide explained how the production of oyster. We were very impressed to see a oyster farm. We also had a mini- barbecued oyster and some raw oyster with lemon. Another impressive place is the farm stay at Touchen. Very nice place to visit and suitable for children.

As for Australia, we visited Perth, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney. Depending on the age of your children, I would say Perth is more suitable for younger children. The journey is shorter, zoo is fantastic, King's Park is wonderful, farmstay is perfect and fremantle market is genius. I brought my children when they were 2 yo. Children loved animals and enjoyed farm stay.

Gold Cost is more suitable for older children above 8yo. Can visit Movieworld, seaworld and Dreamworld. Too young can't really enjoy. Surfer Paradise is marvellous too.

We just came back from Sydney last June holiday. Very crowded place if only stay at Sydney CBD. We travelled outside Sydney to experience farm stay.

Melbourne has fantastic scenery - the Great Ocean Road. Too young may not enjoy as journey is tiring.

So far, my children loves Australia more than Taiwan 'cos Taiwan mainly shopping, eat and night markets is too tiring for them. Leofoo Theme Park at Taiwan is quite old.

Do consider that Dec is hot in Australia and cold in Taiwan.

bleeze
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby finnfinn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:26 am

i went to australia in late nov and it was freezing! regretted not bringing more clothes with me! anyway... better check the weather before packing your luggage

finnfinn
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happiemum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:03 am

It depends on the age of your children and the sort of activities you plan for them. I have been to taipei numerous times and I have stayed 6 months in Perth and 2 weeks in gold coast, Sydney and Melbourne.

Personally, I like both countries but when if comes to food, Taiwan has abundance of good and cheap food while it is more expensive to eat out in Australia, especially Chinese food for young kids.

I prefer the scenic of Australia coastal drive like the great barrier reef n ocean road drive. Watching wild penguins from phillip island in Melbourne. The theme parks at gold coast. Surfer paradise was great to spend the whole evening with kids.

If you are planning to go Taiwan, I suggest you go to some outskirts (like hualien, cingjing farm, alisan) rather than taipei itself. You can spend a few nights in the outskirts and a few nights in taipei. You can travel by their bullet train which is very fast and convenient.

Plan well ahead and enjoy your trip.

happiemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nukewind » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

Yes, Taiwan and Aust have different things to do. But I think Taiwan climate may be better in dec as it will be cooler (if not raining). But while you can easily drive in Aust, it is not so easy in Taiwan. It will be easier if you know mandarin. It may be challenging to drive in Taipei, but not so bad once u go out to the countrysides, but they have many mountainous roads so if you are not used to such driving, then it is not advisable. Also when it is raining (heavily), best to avoid the mountainous road due to potential landslide.

nukewind
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby floppy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:31 pm

What to do and see??

Thanks

You do know Oz is one super duper big place, right?

Narrowing down the cities/states would help in determining where to go (otherwise I would be suggesting Darwin in NT for you to enjoy the spectacular thunderstorm).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:32 pm

What to do and see??

Thanks

You do know Oz is one super duper big place, right?

Narrowing down the cities/states would help in determining where to go (otherwise I would be suggesting Darwin in NT for you to enjoy the spectacular thunderstorm).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas