Northern Europe

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
elenang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Northern Europe

Post by elenang » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Wow there's even pink!

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by VooVoo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 am

ScaredyMum wrote:
VooVoo wrote:Hi, does anyone know when is the usual promo period for Finnair, Icelandair?
VooVoo, have you booked your tickets? Prices are going up extremely high for some of the dates in Dec once the value tickets are sold out! Accommodations in Rovaniemi and other parts of Lapland, especially the popular/highly rated ones, are selling out fast over the Christmas period too!

My air tickets & accommodations in Norway & Finland are booked for Dec trip! Hoping to catch more auroras this year!
Hi Scaredy, change of plans...might just go for milder winter this year...maybe next year when we can stay closer to Christmas (this year PSLE - so need to be back for school posting :nailbite: )

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by ScaredyMum » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi VooVoo

If you plan to stay over Christmas, do decide where you want to stay and book well in advance. Christmas season in Lapland is pretty popular. I booked my B&B accommodation in Rovaniemi last year Jan. When I emailed the owner in early Mar this year, they are already fully booked!

Most popular / good reviews ones are also fully booked. So do plan and book early :)

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by Dnls_mum » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Scaredymum

Sort out some photos of our Iceland trip so I'll start posting them here on day by day basis.

Day 1:
We took the Finnair fight leaving Singapore at midnight on 28 Feb. arrived Helsinki at 6am in the morning. Check out, kept our backs with luggage storage and took a finnair bus to town. Explore rock church's and Sibelius monument before getting back to the airport for our 2.20 fight to Reykjavik. Iceland is 2 hours behind Finland. It was a 3+ hr flight. We arrive Reykjavik around 4pm. Met upon arrival by our guide. He drove us around the city to give us an overview before we got to our hotel.

Left our bags and walked to the bay. Went by Hofoi House, the famous house where Reagan and Gorbatsjov met and effectively ended the Cold War.

Checked out the Solfar Sculpture.

Then headed for dinner at the main shopping streets. After dinner, headed back to rest after the long day.
To be continued....

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by ScaredyMum » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi Dnls_mum

Thanks in advance for the detailed sharing and photos :rahrah:

Oh you took bus from Helsinki airport to the city? We took the train.
We only had our small day packs with us then, the luggage was checked in directly to Reykjavik.
How did you manage to sort out the photos and add in the headers in such a short time :lol:

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:13 pm

ScaredyMum wrote:Hi Dnls_mum

Thanks in advance for the detailed sharing and photos :rahrah:

Oh you took bus from Helsinki airport to the city? We took the train.
We only had our small day packs with us then, the luggage was checked in directly to Reykjavik.
How did you manage to sort out the photos and add in the headers in such a short time :lol:
We had our luggage checked in directly to Reykjavik. But still had our cabin bag which we had kept our warm clothings, heat techs etc which we didn't want to wear on the plane. So we had to store our cabin bag.

I am sorting out my photos slowly and tagging them so yup, got some done already. Quite easy to do them on my mobile phone using the photo grid app. I have a card reader for my iPad/iPhone :). So these photos are mine. DH still hasn't sort his out. He is very slow :(

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:57 am

Dnls_mum wrote:Scaredymum

Sort out some photos of our Iceland trip so I'll start posting them here on day by day basis.

Day 1:
We took the Finnair fight leaving Singapore at midnight on 28 Feb. arrived Helsinki at 6am in the morning. Check out, kept our backs with luggage storage and took a finnair bus to town. Explore rock church's and Sibelius monument before getting back to the airport for our 2.20 fight to Reykjavik. Iceland is 2 hours behind Finland. It was a 3+ hr flight. We arrive Reykjavik around 4pm. Met upon arrival by our guide. He drove us around the city to give us an overview before we got to our hotel.

Left our bags and walked to the bay. Went by Hofoi House, the famous house where Reagan and Gorbatsjov met and effectively ended the Cold War.

Then headed for dinner at the main shopping streets. After dinner, headed back to rest after the long day.
To be continued....
:love: :love:

Keep posting! Nice :)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:74

Post by ammonite » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes keep posting! Do your photos first, add your DH's later. Can you also add info on the temperature and your footwear for this trip? Thank you!!

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Post by buds » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Dnls_mum wrote:Scaredymum

Day 1:

To be continued....

Gorgeous pictures. :love:
What time was it, when these pictures were taken?

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:39 pm

ammonite wrote:Yes keep posting! Do your photos first, add your DH's later. Can you also add info on the temperature and your footwear for this trip? Thank you!!
Our shoes from Merrill:

Temperature was about -4 to 2 degrees on most days except one day which went down to -7. But if felt colder because it was very windy. Especially on our last day in Reykjavik. Wind speed was 10km per sec. If I don't stand properly , I feel that I was being swayed by the wind even though we were in the city. I'm sure the open country side will be worse.