Northern Europe

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Re: Northern Europe

Post by Dnls_mum » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:48 pm

buds wrote:
Dnls_mum wrote:Scaredymum

Sort out some photos of our Iceland trip so I'll start posting them here on day by day basis.

Day 1:
We took the Finnair fight leaving Singapore at midnight on 28 Feb. arrived Helsinki at 6am in the morning. Check out, kept our backs with luggage storage and took a finnair bus to town. Explore rock church's and Sibelius monument before getting back to the airport for our 2.20 fight to Reykjavik. Iceland is 2 hours behind Finland. It was a 3+ hr flight. We arrive Reykjavik around 4pm. Met upon arrival by our guide. He drove us around the city to give us an overview before we got to our hotel.

Left our bags and walked to the bay. Went by Hofoi House, the famous house where Reagan and Gorbatsjov met and effectively ended the Cold War.

Checked out the Solfar Sculpture.

Then headed for dinner at the main shopping streets. After dinner, headed back to rest after the long day.
To be continued....

Gorgeous pictures. :love:
What time was it, when these pictures were taken?
Thanks! It was in the evening at 7plus.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Day 2: Snaefellsnes Peninsula
Our actual road trip starts today. We set off after breakfast and first stop was a cute little church built in 1800s in Bord A Myrum.

Then we headed west to Gerouburg to see its Basalt columns. It was impressive and had a vast lava field now covered in thick snow in front of it.

After that was lunch at a cafe before we headed off to Ytri-Tunga Beach. This beach is famed for seals but it was not the right season when we were there and the seals were out at sea.

Then our guide brought us to Armarstapi where we walked along the coast to see the beautiful coast lines with steep cliffs and magnificent lava formation. You can also get a fantastic view of Kirkjufell, the famous mountain on Snaefellsnes Peninsula fm here.

After this, it was time for our scheduled lava cave tour at Vatnehellir. We were provided helmets and flashlights. You need to be able to climb down 2-3 floors in a spiral staircase and walk uneven ground to do this. Temperature inside the cave is a constant 1degree. It was interesting.

After the tour we visited the black lava pearl beach at Djupalonsandur before heading to Kirkjufellfoss. It was s slippery climb up to see Kirkjufellfoss which is a group of 3 volcanoes next to Kirkjufell or Church Mountain. Our guide provided us with crampons for our shoes.

The climb had to be slow and careful even with our crampons. But the effort was worth it. We were greeted by this:

After this, we headed to our hotel. Rested for a while and we went for dinner at a pretty restaurant near a lake. After dinner, we went hunting for Northern lights. I have posted the photo in the earlier posts on this thread.

It was a long and tiring day but oh so worth it!

To be continued....

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Day 3 - West Iceland and Pingvellir

Will share a few photos of the highlights of the day. Started the day with a visit to Sugandisey. From the top of the hill where the lighthouse is, we got a good view of the harbour and coast. Then we went to Deildartunguhver which is the highest flow hotspring in Europe. The water here is up to 100degrees. The smoke coming out of the ground were impressive!

Next was to visit 2 waterfalls which are within a 5 min walk of each other, Hiraunfossar and Barnafossar. Hiraunfossar is a waterfall that glows out from lave tubes, yes, no feeding surface river. A very unusual Waterfall.

Barnafossar is a fast flowing Waterfall named after 2 kids that drowned there...yup...not a nice feeling there.

Then we headed for lunch. After lunch we the main place to visit is Pingvellir, a Unesco World Heritage Site for is historical significance as the site of the first parliament in 930AD. The park also lies in a Rift Valley created by movement of the North American and Eurasia tectonic plates.

That night we stayed at Vatnsholt which is a renovated old farm house in the middle of nowhere, well, almost. We had in a cute little cabin. There were 3 of those.

It was a very cold night and I huddled in bed and refused to go out. DH went out to check for NL. He had no luck and went to bed at 12. We were told the next morning that it came out at 12.30!

To be continued.....

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:09 am

Sorry, has been busy. Here's Day 4:
Saw 2 waterfalls today, first stop Faxi Falls and last stop Gullfoss, with Gullfoss being the more well known as it is one of the must see along the Golden Route. I like Faxi falls as it is less crowded. It is somewhat like Gullfoss but is a one step Waterfall unlike Gullfoss which is an impressive 2 step Waterfall. Gullfoss is very crowded.

In between, we visited Strokkur, a geyser. It sprouts very 10 mins and can go as high as 30m. Strokkur is also one of the 3 most sees along the Golden Route.

We also went on a jeep tour of Langjokull Glacier before taking a snowmobile ride. Our guide had arranged a fun private jeep tour for us on a "mini" monster truck!

That night we had another night of Northern lights. I had shared the photo in earlier posts. It was dancing lights, fast and constant movement!

To be continued.....

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 am

Day 5
We moved along the South Coast. Visited some lmpressive expanse of lava fields. But highlight of the day was our ice Caves tour. We went to 3 ice caves. Crystal cave which is a blue one, Diamond cave with beautiful icicles and Black cave.

Another dramatic site here is the Glacier Lagoon. Warming climate causes ice blocks to break off from the glacier and is washed into and out of a Lagoon daily. The view changes everyday depending on nature. We visited that evening and the next morning and the landscape was vastly different. The evening soft light gives a mysterious look to the place. Stunning!

In the same area is also a crystal beach. Lots of ice blocks and bits are washed up to shore and gives the black lava sand beach a crystal look. Stunning!

To be continued...

happymom_aa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by happymom_aa » Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 am

Hi all,
Just book my Finland trip for December 2017, understand that it will be very cold, may I know what brand of winter jacket and boots is more suitable for the weather there?

Thanks.

elenang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by elenang » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 am

For me most important is the inner thermal and the outer windproof/resistant jacket. I wear the extra heattech type thermal from (Uniqlo) then normal fleece or longsleeve then the outer jacket. Mine is North Face. If still cold, then wear 2x extra heattech thermal inside. My boots i got from overseas cheap and good no brand la but waterproof is important cos when you walk in the snow the last thing u wan is the snow melt and seep inside your socks!!! I kenna before wearing those furry boots.

Oh and for such cold temp, u would definitely need to cover your neck/ears and face. (woollen scarf or ski mask type). I always use those rabbit furry earmuffs over my woollen hat then i have scarf to wrap around neck or face if need to.

happymom_aa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by happymom_aa » Mon May 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Thanks elenang.

May I know whether did you buy your boots online?
If yes, can share which web site to go for such boots?
Thanks.

Uniqlo heattech is enough? Will go take a look.
I've not use them before but thinking to get them as spares since don't think I can wash and dry when I'm there.

elenang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by elenang » Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 am

I bought the boots when I was overseas in one of those outlet stores. For me, heattech is comfortable and I threw all the wool ones I had previously after I discovered heattech! haha

FishFingers
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by FishFingers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:25 am

Go Iceland to see the Northern Lights?