London or Europe?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

London or Europe?

Postby chixchix » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 am

Hi all here i am blur need some help :smile: I have big kids but below 12. now ..i am thinking of a 2-3 week vacation but am not sure wch to choose..london or europe ?
Which is best to go ?
When is the best time ? June or Dec holidays ?
Should i take direct or transit flight ? I can't than sitting in a 6 hour flight haha

Should i go free and easy or join a tour group ? I always have an impression that if tour group they take us to cheap hotels

Now in regards to hotels, should i book a hotel throughout my stay or do we need to change hotels since we go to different places ? won't be so fun tagging luggage everywhere .

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: London or Europe?

Postby jetsetter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm

depends on whether u r an anglophile or europhile...how abt go to both since it's 2-3 wks? just cross to the continent via eurostar...

june - very expensive and crowded w students & families attending their convo/backpackers from US & Asia/retirees...longer days, lighter luggage, summer sale, could be VERY hot.
Dec - less crowded, but many rides/bus shuttle svcs could be canceled. shorter days, photos will be dark, heavier luggage, need to buy winter clothing, christmas sale, snow...

nowadays, direct flights is the norm. only 12-13hr flight...take 11+pm/12mn flight best. arrive at 5-ish am.

F&E better. can eat at the best restaurants and cafes in each city; commute to anywhere u like without hving to wait for late-comers; shop at own pace.
Tour - depends if u hv elderly/lil ones, maybe u want "bao ka liao". but might hv to eat a lot of horrible chinese food & sing karaoke with other uncles/aunties on the coach. also will go to horrible shops to buy branded goods.

if europe, confirm must book diff hotels right? if just visit London, of course 1 hotel will do. hotels also depend on ur budget. if no budget, must stay outside central zone. if got budget, pls book within city centre so u dun waste time commuting. u weigh pros and cons on your own :)

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chixchix » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:18 am

Hi you mean both the countries have the same season in dec n june ?

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

chixchix wrote:Hi you mean both the countries have the same season in dec n june ?

:?
what do u mean 'both countries"? London is in UK and Europe is a continent comprising many countries incl UK. Which one(s) do u want to visit?

UK and European continent share the same season: Dec - winter; Jun - summer.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chixchix » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:17 am

thats why i said i am zoo confused lol where to go ..what to do while in UK..i really want to take the scenic train but dunno to take it from switzerland or from UK.

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Headache2010 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:54 pm

chixchix wrote:thats why i said i am zoo confused lol where to go ..what to do while in UK..i really want to take the scenic train but dunno to take it from switzerland or from UK.

I can't recall any scenic train in UK. Switzerland should be a better choice.

For U.K. you can visit these places:-
London
Stratford-upon-Avon (birthplace of William Shakespeare)
Bath
Stonehenge
Warwick
Lake District
York
Edinburgh
Isle of Skye

Headache2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby chixchix » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 pm

I was just looking at the theme park tickets rates in UK for a family of 4 ,,and I was shocked,, its solo expensive ..sigh ..maybe next time then go.. I was telling my HB that go US cheaper .but the though of sitting in the flight so many hours sucks.. sigh..

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xiaostar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 am

Rick Steve's Europe full and complete on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RickSteves?feature=watch
All episodes. Great if you are planning for Europe.

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas