Travel: Maldives

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
MArVeLIciOUS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Travel: Maldives

Post by MArVeLIciOUS » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:43 am

Hi!

Searched the forum and I think my query would be best answered here......

I'm bringing my family to the Maldives this month for a holiday. My boys love the sand and the sea, they're very comfortable in the water.

We have children's snorkelling mask and tube, but my 8 yr old prefers his swim goggles as it has prescriptive lens equivalent to about 350 degrees.

Can anybody advise me where I am able to buy single or double lens scuba / dive masks with prescriptive lens, and the mask size is suitable for children?

Have been searching the internet but nothing comes up......

Thanx in advance!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:13 am

MArVeLIciOUS wrote:
Can anybody advise me where I am able to buy single or double lens scuba / dive masks with prescriptive lens, and the mask size is suitable for children?
The answer would be:
The dive shops. All the major diving brands will be able to provide you with prescriptive lens for masks (whether they can get it done in time by this month is another matter).

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 am

look for lost plane MH370 too ….

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by ScaredyMum » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 am

Hi

Is June a good time to visit Maldives?
Which airline is recommended?

harvardalum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:22

Post by harvardalum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Definitely a very bad time to go in June. When we were there, it rained practically non-stop. Could not sail - too choppy. Scuba-diving was no-go, esp. in the afternoons. Morning dives were very iffy. Basically, barely any water-sports. It was frustrating. Do not go in June if you can help it!
I'd enjoyed good weather when we were there in December, March, April and September.

We've always flown with SQ. I prefer SQ, direct to Male, arriving in the wee hours of the morning, straight to bed, refreshed the next day for the glorious waters. Had a friend who flew with MH. According to him, he'd a 3 plus hrs layover in KL (sin-kl(change plane)-male) and on his way back, because of the timing, he went male-sri lanka-kl(change plane)-sin. He took a package, so I'm not sure if that contributed to the bad flight time.

Hope this helps.

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by ScaredyMum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:19 am

harvardalum wrote:Definitely a very bad time to go in June. When we were there, it rained practically non-stop. Could not sail - too choppy. Scuba-diving was no-go, esp. in the afternoons. Morning dives were very iffy. Basically, barely any water-sports. It was frustrating. Do not go in June if you can help it!
I'd enjoyed good weather when we were there in December, March, April and September.

We've always flown with SQ. I prefer SQ, direct to Male, arriving in the wee hours of the morning, straight to bed, refreshed the next day for the glorious waters. Had a friend who flew with MH. According to him, he'd a 3 plus hrs layover in KL (sin-kl(change plane)-male) and on his way back, because of the timing, he went male-sri lanka-kl(change plane)-sin. He took a package, so I'm not sure if that contributed to the bad flight time.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, defintely helps! Some websites say June is still a good time, with water clarity and good visibility. Average days of rain fall during June is around 16-17 days, doesn't seem much different from the 14-15 days on other months. But seems like it's not? We have plans for Dec 2015 already, so seems like have to shelve Maldives to another year unless I explore the March hols and the PSLE marking days in Oct...

Which island is the best to go to? I am exploring Chaaya Island Dhonveli, have you stayed there before?

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Blue Pearl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:26 am

Do u think it is a good idean to travel to Maldives during CNY holidays?

SarChar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by SarChar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:03 am

CNY period is peak period. The European likes to go there during Jan/Feb/March. Nowadays many resorts do cater to China tourtists. So for CNY - peak period.

We are going to go 1st week of June for 8 days on SQ. It is the only time we can go since its school holidays. I hope it doesnt rain !

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by ScaredyMum » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:21 pm

SarChar wrote:CNY period is peak period. The European likes to go there during Jan/Feb/March. Nowadays many resorts do cater to China tourtists. So for CNY - peak period.

We are going to go 1st week of June for 8 days on SQ. It is the only time we can go since its school holidays. I hope it doesnt rain !
Do share your experience when you are back!
Which island are you going, and which resort are you staying?

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by MyPillow » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 pm

Scaredymum, My sis in law stayed in lux resort last dec, flew SQ , transfer via seaplane. Full board. There were manta rays, Sharks etc around the resort.
You can jump direct fr your villa into the sea to snorkel anytime.

Was told Dec is a gd time to Maldives.