Anyone done NZ in caravans??

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Anyone done NZ in caravans??

Postby Love4learning » Wed May 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi all,

I m planning for a NZ trip for both islands in caravan. Anyone done that before? Care to share info and experience? Thanks!

Love4learning
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Anyone done NZ in caravans??

Postby strawberrycupcakes » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 am

Love4learning wrote:Hi all,

I m planning for a NZ trip for both islands in caravan. Anyone done that before? Care to share info and experience? Thanks!

sounds really fun! How many of you going?

strawberrycupcakes
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Integer » Thu May 15, 2014 6:57 am

Love4learning wrote:Hi all,

Hi,

Not sure whether you've read Petunia Lee's blog? She went on such a hol last yr. See her Dec13 blog entries ...

http://petunialee.blogspot.sg/2013/12/t ... le_11.html

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ScaredyMum » Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 am

Sounds really fun! But after reading the blog above, it also sounds pretty tiring & scary lolx.

Is it possible to do 1 island on caravan and the other by normal self-drive/cottage?

Share your info or experiences, may want to think about it for next trip! :)

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Love4learning » Thu May 15, 2014 2:48 pm

We studied some info online.. planning on covering 2 islands both on caravan. initally wanted to do half on caravan and half in car n hotel.. but car and hotel quite ex and i have to move luggages up and down daily.. troublesome! we have total 16 days. south island has more stuff to do so will take abt 9-10 days ..no fixed places to stay cos that's the whole purpose of caravan.. done afew road trips in Aussie and US before..got to rush like crazy each time to a prebooked hotel..quite tiring especially of gg for many days..

Love4learning
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sparks » Thu May 15, 2014 3:55 pm

My sis did it last year & said she wldn't do it again. The main thing is that it's not really that comfortable (considering the campervan she rented was luxurious, new & not cheap). The campervan took up 1 whole lane, making it difficult to overtake slow moving vehicles. Also, many NZ roads do not have road dividers which is dangerous, IMO, esp if driver is tired whilst on the wheels.

We will want to try it, but only for a small part of the road trip just for the experience.
Last edited by sparks on Fri May 16, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ScaredyMum » Thu May 15, 2014 4:53 pm

sparks wrote:We will want to try it, but only for a small part of the road trip just for the experience.

Yes, that's what I meant too. Experience it for a small part, maybe the north island and for south island do the normal car/hotel so that it's not so tiring. Can imagine "coop" up in the tiny space of the caravan for 2 weeks is no joke.

Are you gonna try it out soon sparks?

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sparks » Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi ScaredyMum, Planning to go SI during CNY break in Feb next year but not going for campervans yet. I will only do this when I have ample time holidaying in NZ. Right now, we only have less than 2 weeks for holidaying. So, maximising my whole family experience is more impt.

They have so much variety of lodgings in NZ that trying them out is part of the fun too! :smile:

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Love4learning » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 pm

sparks wrote:My sis did it last year & said she wldn't do it again. The main thing is that it's not really that comfortable (considering the campervan she rented was luxurious, new & not cheap). The campervan took up 1 whole lane, making it difficult to overtake slow moving vehicles. Also, many NZ roads do not have road dividers which is dangerous, IMO, esp if driver is tired whilst on the wheels.

We will want to try it, but only for a small part of the road trip just for the experience.

Hi Sparks,

How many seater was the campervan that your sister rented and which company?
We saw the video and it looks big. We had done many road trips in US, Japan and Aussie before.. So kind of used to long road trips.. but never in campervans. Still thinking if we shd both islands in Campervan now... :sweat:

Cos rooms and car rentals r not cheap and cost a little more than Campervans and also i m quite sick of moving luggages up and down the car.. :scared:

Love4learning
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sparks » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:58 pm

Love4learning wrote:How many seater was the campervan that your sister rented and which company?

Hi, the RV my sis rented is good for 2A2C (ages 10 & 12) from this company.

http://www.iconicmotorhomes.com/home

She said that it has a fixed bed & one convertible bed (from the seating). However, she did mention again that it's not comfortable sleeping esp on the convertible bed. Oh yes, she had same issues with the toileting as the blogger.

However, I think diff pp will hv diff expectations & experiences. I think I won't mind taking a RV if I am travelling without children & am not in a rush. I love road trips too & wld love to stop by some charming lakesides & camp out there. :please:

Cos rooms and car rentals r not cheap and cost a little more than Campervans and also i m quite sick of moving luggages up and down the car.. :scared:

Do you plan to move quickly from one place to another? For SI distances between the fav spots are pretty far & usually warrant more than just a short stopover to fully take in the sights & sounds. Moreover, I find the variety of accommodations in SI very attractive & interesting to try out!
:smile:

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas