6 years old traveling alone to UK

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

6 years old traveling alone to UK

Postby valerie28kum » Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm

[color=#0000FF]Hi,

Intend to send my 6 year old girl to UK via SQ by herself to visit my parents. This is my 1st time doing this and this is a long haul flight which im really quite anxious.
Hope that you guys can share your experience in this and how to 'advise' her what to do during the flight?

:thankyou:

val
va[/color]

valerie28kum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: 6 years old traveling alone to UK

Postby jetsetter » Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm

valerie28kum wrote:[color=#0000FF]Hi,

Intend to send my 6 year old girl to UK via SQ by herself to visit my parents. This is my 1st time doing this and this is a long haul flight which im really quite anxious.
Hope that you guys can share your experience in this and how to 'advise' her what to do during the flight?

val
va[/color]

why can't you travel with her?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby valerie28kum » Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 pm

because im working and company doesn't allow me to take long leaves...sigh...

valerie28kum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Thu May 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Sign up for unaccompanied minor service with the airlines. They should take good care of her.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby The Pasta Greely » Thu May 15, 2014 4:02 pm

valerie28kum wrote:[color=#0000FF]Hi,

val
va[/color]

You can tell her to not be afraid, the flight is safe, one thousand planes make it through a day it won't crash. You'll be back wih me in no time and all those comforting stuff.

The Pasta Greely
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 15, 2014 4:07 pm

Has she done the trip before with you? If so, you can remind her about what happens step by step. Maybe even write it down for her, get photos etc. If she hasn't, then this is even more important for her. And do let the airline know - I believe they will take special care of her and make sure she is safely handed over to the receiving adult on the other side.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby valerie28kum » Thu May 15, 2014 4:20 pm

we traveled together to uk once, other than being totally bored. she was alright.

im wondering if midnight flight will be better for her as she can sleep the moment she boards the plane. also, if she needs help (for eg: choosing the movies to watch) will the cabin crew help her?

valerie28kum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:37 pm

valerie28kum wrote:we traveled together to uk once, other than being totally bored. she was alright.

im wondering if midnight flight will be better for her as she can sleep the moment she boards the plane. also, if she needs help (for eg: choosing the movies to watch) will the cabin crew help her?

I am sure the crew will be pretty supportive.

Somethings you can ask yourself and help prepare. no intention to scare you lah!
Is she quite independent for a 6 yr old?
Is she extroverted? Anyways, you need to explain how much she can trust strangers with examples?
Would she talk to someone if she has a problem or would she rather keep it to herself and only tell if someone asks her about it? Like say she was unwell at school, would she tell the teacher or the teacher notices something amiss and approaches her?

Has she stayed away from you and your DH for some days? If she wakes up in the plane would she be scared not to see you around ?
I think the flight timing should be more than 12 hours. Children are not good at falling asleep in a sitting position.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 15, 2014 4:41 pm

valerie28kum wrote:we traveled together to uk once, other than being totally bored. she was alright.

The night flight is definitely better as she should be able to sleep a lot of the time and not be missing you! There will be food and drinks served first before the lights are dimmed, so let her know that she can select a drink and have a meal (you can ask for child's meal ahead of time) before sleeping. And if you inform the airline, the crew will take very good care of her. This is the info from SIA about how they care for unaccompanied minors.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/trave ... -children/

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Thu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

From your query, I believe you are comfortable and trust that your child can handle the trip alone. It's more of making sure she knows what to expect and be comfortable during the trip.

Involve her in packing her inflight stuff, and do a rundown of what to expect and how to ask for assistance. Do a list if it helps and pack her favourite toy if possible. Pack extra set of clothes in case of spills.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas