Travel: China - Hong Kong

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:82

Re: Travel: China - Hong Kong

Post by MMM » Wed May 25, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks for the dimsum recommendation. Will try to find it.

Last minute trip to HK this june with my teenagers. Seeing is as a low achieving/ take it easy trip.

We've been to HK several times. Wondering if any one has any interesting must go places when they go to HK. If so, pls share. I am looking for new ideas.

Personally, I will definitely want to make a trip to outlet malls at tung chung mtr station. Disney for us is still a ? as it's becoming too kiddie for the teenagers. They prefer disney adventure park. Dimsum is also on my to do list. Think I will also make a trip to Sogo at causeway bay to buy the freshly baked wife cake. Anything else????

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Post by MMM » Wed May 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Was looking at Q10 and observed that they sell HK sim card (free local 575 mins calls) and unlimited data for 7 days. Price is around S$15. Anyone try this before? Think it's under China unicom (HK).

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Wed May 25, 2016 2:06 pm

MMM wrote:Thanks for the dimsum recommendation. Will try to find it.

Last minute trip to HK this june with my teenagers. Seeing is as a low achieving/ take it easy trip.

We've been to HK several times. Wondering if any one has any interesting must go places when they go to HK. If so, pls share. I am looking for new ideas.

Personally, I will definitely want to make a trip to outlet malls at tung chung mtr station. Disney for us is still a ? as it's becoming too kiddie for the teenagers. They prefer disney adventure park. Dimsum is also on my to do list. Think I will also make a trip to Sogo at causeway bay to buy the freshly baked wife cake. Anything else????
Hmmm your itinary so similar to mine. How about go outer islands instead for a change? Day trip to Macau? Basically HK is the choice when we just want to chill and eat-shop-chill-sleep and repeat again.

Someone shared a 5 day trip itinary:
http://hedgehogtravel.blogspot.sg/?m=1

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Post by MMM » Wed May 25, 2016 3:02 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:
Hmmm your itinary so similar to mine. How about go outer islands instead for a change? Day trip to Macau? Basically HK is the choice when we just want to chill and eat-shop-chill-sleep and repeat again.

Someone shared a 5 day trip itinary:
http://hedgehogtravel.blogspot.sg/?m=1
Thanks for sharing. After reading the blog, I think my "plan" does sound like a decent plan to just relax, sleep, walk and eat. For that reason, chose a hotel that allow us to space out as well. Going to try the family suite at The salisbury at YMCA this time round. Hopefully it is decent though I didn't pay for the harbor view.

Was concerned about the eating too much but i think that can be offset by the walking alot too. I like to walk to explore when we are overseas. Will make my teenagers do that.. Walk for food.

For macau, I am thinking what are we going to do there ??? The teenagers cannot enter the XXXXXXX. More food again? like egg tarts? Travelling around in macau is easy with those free hotel buses.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Wed May 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Salisbury YMCA is definitely value for money. No service share for room rates too. Superb location if the walking is in tsimshatui area

Island side got lots to look see eat too, including sunset sunrise at the Peak

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Post by MMM » Wed May 25, 2016 3:46 pm

pirated wrote:Salisbury YMCA is definitely value for money. No service share for room rates too. Superb location if the walking is in tsimshatui area

Island side got lots to look see eat too, including sunset sunrise at the Peak
Yes and not forgetting taking a ferry to the island. That is like a must do every time.

dh reminded me about a bus to the peak from ferry terminal. While it takes a longer time, the ride up the peak is fairly scenic.

Susan Koh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Susan Koh » Mon May 30, 2016 11:13 pm

pirated wrote:
MMM wrote:Any good timsum restaurant to recommend in TST area ? Looking at those reasonably priced ones.

During one of our visits, the agent brought us to a timsum restaurant and omg, it was really heavenly. It was like a normal restaurant and price was reasonable too. Unfortunately, we forgot to take down the address.
http://www.dimdimsum.hk/

ate here recently, cheap and good
I second Dim Dim Sum too! For instagrammable dim sum, can also go to Dim Sum Icon at The One mall at TST and Hello Kitty Dim Sum too.

Susan Koh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Susan Koh » Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 pm

MMM wrote:Thanks for the dimsum recommendation. Will try to find it.

If you have teenagers with you then the rides at Ocean Park may be more suitable for them as they are more thrilling than Disneyland, unless they are fans of Disneyland then it doesn't matter :)

For instagrammable dim sum, can also go to Dim Sum Icon at The One mall at TST and Hello Kitty Dim Sum too.

Another dessert that's popular there is Oddies Foodies at Wan Chai where they have ice cream with egglets!

You can also consider going hiking at Lantau island and having seafood.

Tulpen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Tulpen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Hello..

Any hotel recommendations for 2A2C …?

Lucky Cat GP Guru
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Lucky Cat GP Guru » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Hong Kong is indeed a gem. I have previously been there for 5 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed the food, shopping and scenery. The mountains and hiking spots are highly underrated however. Do check out Lantau Peak, Tai Mo Shan, Dragon's Back and Lion Rock as possible destinations. Different mountains demand varying fitness levels, but I would say among these few, Lantau Peak and Lion Rock will be the toughest. IMO they make for a good break from the hustle and bustle of HK.

Cheers,
Lucky Cat GP Guru