Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Where to bring my 2 teens?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Re: Where to bring my 2 teens?

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 pm

kitty2 wrote:
sparks wrote:
zeemimi wrote:Chiangmai has become one of the favourite destination for mainland chinese. They occupy many of the hotels in chiangmai. So try not to coincide with their holiday season to avoid the crowd.

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks!

HK too :)

Anywhere in the region (except Malaysia at the moment) will be flooded with Chinese tourists over CNY. They don't get a lot of vacation time, and they all have it at the same time!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:45 pm

jetsetter wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Anyone been to Cambodia recently? I am trying to find out more about tour packages as we are too lazy to DIY. Anyone taken an internal flight between Phnom Penh or booked land tours from Cambodia? Any recommendations?

i went to SR and PP 9 yrs ago. Pretty outdated tour info :(

I did half guided tour (arr: SR + PP), half F&E (extension in PP, dep: PP).
SR to PP by domestic flight arranged by China agency.

AKW had 1 day or 3 day passes during my time. Many angmohs rented bikes to cycle around the huge ancient city. Our chartered coach dropped us from 1 temple to another (i.e. 2 hr at the main AKW temple, 1 hr at the Bakheng hill, 30 min at smaller temples like Ta Prohm, 10 min at ruins)... Some avid photographers in my group requested tour guide to take them there at 5am to take pics of sunrise.

It was extremely exhausting for older and heavier tourists cos there was a lota climbing on all fours up the 1000-yr-old pagoda stairs which were completely worn out. by the time we finished the major temples and hills, we weren't that keen to explore the outskirts of the ancient city (that one requires 3 day pass). You can walk, but you'll feel like it takes forever to get to the next site due to the scorching Kampuchean heat and expanse of the city. No tall buildings to shield u from UV light rays. Few trees lining the sandy paths. Need to drink lots and lots of water. Bring fan/wear sunblock, shades, BIG hat, good walking shoes, mini towel cos you'll be perspiring a lot...AKW toilets? Didn't even need to visit them...

U gg to PP too? I enjoyed myself tremendously in PP.

We're thinking of seeing both Siem Reap and PP. Probably just 5 days and maybe 1 day extension in PP as we have a friend working there. Yes, I am not looking forward to the climbing and walking, but the longer we wait, the older we get! That's one of the reasons I thought we should see Cambodia first, and leave Vietnam (less climbing?) to another time! Also not looking forward to the heat, but Nov should be as cool as it ever gets. Toilets - we lived in China for many years, so I think we can manage! Thanks, will keep looking for packages.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:04 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Anyone been to Cambodia recently? I am trying to find out more about tour packages as we are too lazy to DIY. Anyone taken an internal flight between Phnom Penh or booked land tours from Cambodia? Any recommendations?

One way you can skip the booking of an internal flight is to use SilkAir.

1. Go to their website and choose multi-city booking.
2. First flight choose SIN to REP (eg. 25 Oct)
3. Second flight choose REP to PNH (eg. 30 Oct)
4. Third flight choose PNH to SIN (eg. 01 Nov)
Based on the itinerary/dates above, I've gotten SGD 583.90 per pax.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
jetsetter wrote:

i went to SR and PP 9 yrs ago. Pretty outdated tour info :(

I did half guided tour (arr: SR + PP), half F&E (extension in PP, dep: PP).
SR to PP by domestic flight arranged by China agency.

AKW had 1 day or 3 day passes during my time. Many angmohs rented bikes to cycle around the huge ancient city. Our chartered coach dropped us from 1 temple to another (i.e. 2 hr at the main AKW temple, 1 hr at the Bakheng hill, 30 min at smaller temples like Ta Prohm, 10 min at ruins)... Some avid photographers in my group requested tour guide to take them there at 5am to take pics of sunrise.

It was extremely exhausting for older and heavier tourists cos there was a lota climbing on all fours up the 1000-yr-old pagoda stairs which were completely worn out. by the time we finished the major temples and hills, we weren't that keen to explore the outskirts of the ancient city (that one requires 3 day pass). You can walk, but you'll feel like it takes forever to get to the next site due to the scorching Kampuchean heat and expanse of the city. No tall buildings to shield u from UV light rays. Few trees lining the sandy paths. Need to drink lots and lots of water. Bring fan/wear sunblock, shades, BIG hat, good walking shoes, mini towel cos you'll be perspiring a lot...AKW toilets? Didn't even need to visit them...

U gg to PP too? I enjoyed myself tremendously in PP.

We're thinking of seeing both Siem Reap and PP. Probably just 5 days and maybe 1 day extension in PP as we have a friend working there. Yes, I am not looking forward to the climbing and walking, but the longer we wait, the older we get! That's one of the reasons I thought we should see Cambodia first, and leave Vietnam (less climbing?) to another time! Also not looking forward to the heat, but Nov should be as cool as it ever gets. Toilets - we lived in China for many years, so I think we can manage! Thanks, will keep looking for packages.

good that you've a friend working in PP. We booked a chauffeur from our hotel Intercontinental for the extended period on a daily basis. He took us to several places including the best French restaurant in the Diplomat district, Russian Market, Best Khmer Cuisine restaurant by the Mekong River, Foreign Correspondents Club for drinks, Raffles Hotel Le Royal for hi-tea, Genting XXXXXXX, modern Shopping Mall (fashion outlet), Chinatown, Mekong Cruise, the Killing Fields which is in Choeng Ek.

The usual city Wats, Sihanouk Royal Palace, Central Market, Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum were done with the tour group before we broke off.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:11 pm

floppy wrote:

One way you can skip the booking of an internal flight is to use SilkAir.

1. Go to their website and choose multi-city booking.
2. First flight choose SIN to REP (eg. 25 Oct)
3. Second flight choose REP to PNH (eg. 30 Oct)
4. Third flight choose PNH to SIN (eg. 01 Nov)
Based on the itinerary/dates above, I've gotten SGD 583.90 per pax.

Thanks! But I'm planning to book a tour so I don't have to book these things myself.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:12 pm

jetsetter wrote:good that you've a friend working in PP. We booked a chauffeur from our hotel Intercontinental for the extended period on a daily basis. He took us to several places including the best French restaurant in the Diplomat district, Russian Market, Best Khmer Cuisine restaurant by the Mekong River, Foreign Correspondents Club for drinks, Raffles Hotel Le Royal for hi-tea, Genting XXXXXXX, modern Shopping Mall (fashion outlet), Chinatown, Mekong Cruise, the Killing Fields which is in Choeng Ek.

The usual city Wats, Sihanouk Royal Palace, Central Market, Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum were done with the tour group before we broke off.

You have a terrific memory for a trip 9 yrs ago! I haven't got round to looking at specifics yet, but thanks for the list.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ScaredyMum » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 am

Not wanting to create a new thread, I will post my qns here.

Any sugg where to go for a group of 1 elderly lady (mid 60s), 2 lady adults and 3 teens (11 boy, 12 gal, 13 boy) with say a budget of $500 per pax?

Travel date: Nov 2014.

All suggestions welcome! TIA!

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:50 am

Well, I have finally booked a 5D tour to Cambodia for late Nov. Trying to find a window where everyone is free at the same time is a real headache! In the end, I am the one who has to miss something, but at least we managed to find a time. I was beginning to say that we should just look for a nearby 3-day vacation instead!

Some questions - should we change currency before going? Or wait till we get there? I expect credit cards are not widely accepted except in hotels? What does a meal cost in Cambodia? It would be helpful if someone could give me a rough idea (basic or fast food, not fancy dining!). My tour provides meals except for the days of arrival and departure, so we only need to get 1 dinner and 1 lunch. Anything interesting to buy? It's just before Christmas, so is there interesting stuff I could get as presents? Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby makanbees » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

makanbees
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby WorriedDadto3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:26 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
sparks wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:I have a teen.
I would prefer HK though many shops may be closed during CNY.

Yah, but not really keen on shopping there except to makan dim sum. Just want to R&R. Weather shld be nice & cool plus can play fire crackers there right?

Many years ago, my family went our CNY there. Yes, there was firework (dont think can play fire crackers) at the Victoria Harbour.
Some eateries may be closed due to CNY. Others would imposed a surcharge.
If you are spending much time at Disneyland, then I dont think this would be a big concern.

surcharge yes...can amount quite a bit. rethink about HK during CNY

WorriedDadto3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Ideas

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres