Medicine to put in checked in baggage?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Medicine to put in checked in baggage?

Postby wildcats » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:26 am

Hi

Read that we can't bring more than 100ml of liquid per bottle up the plane. How about medicine? Should we put in the checked in baggage? Will the bottle leak due to air pressure? Or we can hand carry. Those bigger bottle syrup medicine consider 100ml? Thank you.

wildcats
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Medicine to put in checked in baggage?

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:36 am

wildcats wrote:Hi

Read that we can't bring more than 100ml of liquid per bottle up the plane. How about medicine? Should we put in the checked in baggage? Will the bottle leak due to air pressure? Or we can hand carry. Those bigger bottle syrup medicine consider 100ml? Thank you.

What I do is to only carry a small 100ml bottle on the flight. The volume of the bottle should be written on the label. The rest, although I don't usually carry more than 100ml on any trip, will go into the suitcase. I believe you might be able to carry more than 100ml if you have a prescription or letter of some kind (please check this!), but if you are travelling through foreign airports, the rules may be different in different places. To prevent any leaks affecting the other stuff in my check-in luggage, I wrap the top of each bottle in tissue, and seal it into a ziploc bag. So far, I've carried liquid toiletries in check-in bags, and most haven't leaked. The occasional one that has is probably due to the bottle not closing tightly enough.

Just another note, it's best to also carry the generic (not just the brand) name of the medicine with you and an explanation of the use and dosage in case you are questioned. Also, if you need to buy it again while overseas, that info will be useful.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 am

If it's prescription medicine, you can bring it along in your hand carry (I highly recommend it as you don't want to be stuck without med in the event that your bag is missing). The LAG rule doesn't apply for medicine. However, you will need an original letter from a certified medical practitioner (Chinese sinseh not valid). The items may be screened at security check point, so please make sure it's kept in a ziplock or clear plastic bag.

You can refer to Changi Airport website for more info.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi

I always handcarry 100ml medicine bottles in a ziploc bag up the plane. Won't leak unless u dun shut tight the cap. My first aid kit is forever in my handbag, incl ear thermometer, syringe, fever patch, ointment.

Buy from PD. They will sell u in 100ml bottles.

Angmoh countries are less cautious abt Children's medicine. But at one of the Chinese customs, I was forced to taste my ds' medicine in front of the officer! I think 1 of them tasted my milk powder too :P

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happydl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

so far i didn't check in luggage for my liquid medicine. I always carry them with me just in case my kids need it. I always put all the bottles of medicine in a transparent zip log bag and show it to the custom officer when my bags are being scanned at the boarding area.

So far no problem for me.

Even at Australia custom also no problem for me.

happydl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happydl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Just to add. Do not put it in the hand carry bag during scanning. Always take out and show them before putting on plastic tray for scanning.

happydl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wildcats » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:22 am

Thank you so much for the replies. Have been worrying about this. Thinking whether to buy 2 sets if it gets confiscate at the screening. Then at least have one in the checked in baggage. Thank you.

wildcats
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas