Reasonable daily game time

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Reasonable daily game time

Postby JJ1234 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:22 pm

What is the reasonable daily game time allow for our children?

JJ1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Reasonable daily game time

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:20 am

What age? During holidays, I used to allow my upper Pr school kids 40 mins a day for games, and an additional 40 mins if they wanted to do other creative stuff like write stories. Not continuously though; they would usually do one session in the morning and another in the afternoon. By the time they were in sec school, I allowed 2 sessions of 1 hr each with less control over what exactly they did with their time. Now they are upper sec/Pre-U, so I don't really control, but I do remind them if I find them glued to screens too much (I would say my limit would be about 3+ hrs spread through the day). They read and do other stuff too.

School term limits are tighter, of course.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:43 am

slmkhoo wrote:What age? During holidays, I used to allow my upper Pr school kids 40 mins a day for games, and an additional 40 mins if they wanted to do other creative stuff like write stories. Not continuously though; they would usually do one session in the morning and another in the afternoon. By the time they were in sec school, I allowed 2 sessions of 1 hr each with less control over what exactly they did with their time. Now they are upper sec/Pre-U, so I don't really control, but I do remind them if I find them glued to screens too much (I would say my limit would be about 3+ hrs spread through the day). They read and do other stuff too.

School term limits are tighter, of course.

What do they do for all other time? Read and study only?

schen
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hytten » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:18 am

[quote="schen"][quote="slmkhoo"]What age? During holidays, I used to allow my upper Pr school kids 40 mins a day for games, and an additional 40 mins if they wanted to do other creative stuff like write stories. Not continuously though; they would usually do one session in the morning and another in the afternoon. By the time they were in sec school, I allowed 2 sessions of 1 hr each with less control over what exactly they did with their time. Now they are upper sec/Pre-U, so I don't really control, but I do remind them if I find them glued to screens too much (I would say my limit would be about 3+ hrs spread through the day). They read and do other stuff too.

School term limits are tighter, of course.[/quote]
What do they do for all other time? Read and study only?[/quote]

I have recently adopted "The 7 Habits of Happy Kids" book's teaching with my kids. I read that SG schools are training robots.. If teacher ask you to do.. you do else do not do it. I can understand that from a teacher's point of view.. 1 teacher to 40 kids.. it would have been easier for the teacher if the kids just listen, don't think. To me it is a bad idea.. my kids kept telling me I am bored I have nothing to do because I did not give her an activity to do. Without a "to do" list.. she doesn't know what to do.

This is a very kid friendly book.. lots of pictures but important lessons. First is a story of being Proactive. Take initiative, if you have nothing to do.. think of something to do. Take charge, kids being bored is not parent's "problem". Kid have to think of a solution to solve their own boredom. In the beginning she comes to me to tell me she is bored and nothing to do. I will take out a picture chart I did with the guidelines to this 7 habits she will go "Oh.. hai.." and walk away.. now she has to think.

I don't have this issue anymore.. now she will find things to do. Art and craft, play masak masak with my containers, she also took up knitting which she learn from books and from youtube. Do own science experiments she read from books. Ipad time for us is 30mins after homework. Playground time is 30mins to sometimes 1h.

hytten
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:35 am

My kids not into gaming le. So no game time.
only read books and do craft work or paint. Play badminton and cycling. Those usual non high tech kiddy stuff
My elder one also cook dinner for us.

This holiday she is planning to learn how to use sewing machine and also to learn more dishes to expand on her menu

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJ1234 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Thank you for the feedback, my girl is Pr6, after PSLE she is so free and her 1st interest on spending her time is playing game. Any suggestion to divert her interest to other activities? Suggestion activities? Somehow when I ask her to read she will do it but just "entertain" Only. During weekend we normally arrange sport activities she like in evening. I told her not to spend more then 45mins on game per day, although she seem ok with it but heart is not content and seem no interest to other thing. Will try to find the "7 habits" book. Many thks. :smile:

JJ1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:56 pm

JJ1234 wrote:Thank you for the feedback, my girl is Pr6, after PSLE she is so free and her 1st interest on spending her time is playing game. Any suggestion to divert her interest to other activities? Suggestion activities? Somehow when I ask her to read she will do it but just "entertain" Only. During weekend we normally arrange sport activities she like in evening. I told her not to spend more then 45mins on game per day, although she seem ok with it but heart is not content and seem no interest to other thing. Will try to find the "7 habits" book. Many thks. :smile:

My kids don't study much during vacations. For one daughter who is weak at Maths, we usually give her some work to build up her weak areas as shown up by her exams - just a few questions a day, not more than 1 hr. The other one doesn't do any schoolwork as she usually does well. But I do require them to read both languages daily (or at least Mon-Fri). For Chinese, I set a minimum of 20 mins a day; for English, I don't bother to set a minimum as they both enjoy reading.

Other things they do: one likes to make up stories and she can spend ages writing and illustrating them, both will do various crafts as the mood takes them, one likes to try baking cookies, playing the guitar etc. When they were younger, they could spend hours making up stories with Barbies dolls, Lego and other toys. Besides that, I might set them chores like clearing their shelves etc. I will sometimes get DVDs for them as well. I will get them to go out occasionally, usually to the library or shopping otherwise they will stay home all day. I agree with schen that boredom is the child's problem, and you will need to be firm and 'force' your daughter to find her own ways to alleviate her boredom. One way that always made my kids find their own amusements was a threat to find some housework or worksheets for them to do - they would disappear very fast!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:25 pm

I think 30-45min is reasonable bah? I used to play computer games after pri sch (lode runner, tapper, alley cat, pac man, lemmings) and sec sch (Tetris, Sim City and WITW is Carmen Sandiego?) too, but never more than an hour per day to unwind.

Gaming is an alternative form of therapy for me :=)

In fact, I still play a bit now. I've a huge empire in Zynga's CityVille, EA's Sim City Social (but they closed the FB version) and dabble with detective games when I'm "invited" by frens.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sloth Squeaks » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Depends on what game. If game aids learning, more time should be allowed.

Sloth Squeaks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lag » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm

how much tv time do u enforce during sch holiday?

lag
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas