need advice to winter Korea with kids...

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

need advice to winter Korea with kids...

Postby bbsin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:01 pm

hi,

am planning to go Korea and ski with my family.

Would like to do free and Easy but not sure if it's ok as it's our first time to Korea and I am wonder about the transportation..

anyone been to Korea , please advice and share your experience.

Tentatively itinerary
3 Days in Seoul - what to see and do?

3 Days in Ski place thinking of YongpYong, but I see that the accommodation is very expensive about $800+ per night..., where to stay and how to travel from Seoul to the area? Is there any local tour that include all rental and transportation...

or will it be easier to go with Tour, but then very restricted to timing right?
Last edited by bbsin on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbsin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: need advcie to winter Korea with kids...

Postby Blessedwife » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm

I find it's easier to travel F&E in Japan than in Korea as the Korean don't speak English at all! Maybe only a small minority of them?

We travelled to Korea 2 years ago with travel agency and we got a fantastic tour guide whom can speak good English, Chinese & Cantonese because his mum is a Chinese and he had travelled widely and knows so much about Singapore that we felt so lucky that we had learnt a lot from him :)

Blessedwife
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby celeste.chua » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi there! A couple of friends have done f&e with their kids to Korea in winter, and they both seem to think it's ok. In particular, alpensia ski resort seems easy and popular with kids, with coach pick up from Seoul itself. Please do have a look at the reviews on winter in South Korea shared by theses mums - http://kidsonboard.net/blog/category/de ... outhkorea/

celeste.chua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bbsin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Blessedwife wrote:I find it's easier to travel F&E in Japan than in Korea as the Korean don't speak English at all! Maybe only a small minority of them?

We travelled to Korea 2 years ago with travel agency and we got a fantastic tour guide whom can speak good English, Chinese & Cantonese because his mum is a Chinese and he had travelled widely and knows so much about Singapore that we felt so lucky that we had learnt a lot from him :)

Thanks, may I know which agency you used?

bbsin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bbsin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:19 pm

celeste.chua wrote:Hi there! A couple of friends have done f&e with their kids to Korea in winter, and they both seem to think it's ok. In particular, alpensia ski resort seems easy and popular with kids, with coach pick up from Seoul itself. Please do have a look at the reviews on winter in South Korea shared by theses mums - http://kidsonboard.net/blog/category/de ... outhkorea/

Thanks. Will have a look

bbsin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: need advice to winter Korea with kids...

Postby jetsetter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:21 pm

bbsin wrote:hi,

am planning to go Korea and ski with my family.

Would like to do free and Easy but not sure if it's ok as it's our first time to Korea and I am wonder about the transportation..

anyone been to Korea , please advice and share your experience.

Tentatively itinerary
3 Days in Seoul - what to see and do?

3 Days in Ski place thinking of YongpYong, but I see that the accommodation is very expensive about $800+ per night..., where to stay and how to travel from Seoul to the area? Is there any local tour that include all rental and transportation...

or will it be easier to go with Tour, but then very restricted to timing right?

Commenting on city tour

Language is not an issue cos many downtown sales assistants can speak good Mandarin. English signages are everywhere incl subway stations. Cabbies have no prob understanding my pronunciation of key tourist attraction names. If need be, show them your HP app captions. Seoul subway easy to navigate too.

Where to go? The usual attractions:

*Gyeongbokgung Palace & Changdeok Palace (next door is Bukchon Village/Korean Folk Village cum museum that displays elements of traditional Korean life and folk culture) = Change of guards very cool; BEAR IN MIND this palace is a replica (unlike Beijing's Forbidden City) cos the original was destroyed by the Japanese.

*Deoksugung Palace (less beautiful but nice park) - Change of guards very interesting.

*N Seoul Tower (take cable car from foothill near Shinsegae Dept Store) = Observatory Deck with many love locks featured in 来自星星的你。

*Nandaemun (night markets/street food/wholesale centre but not appealing to me)

*Dongdaemun (my favourite wholesale fashion hub that opens till 5am)

*Insadong (cultural enclave for artsy folks; many nice eateries and cafes)

*Hongdae (university town with young fashion outlets, fast food restaurants and especially Korean BBQ that open till wee hours)

*Myeongdong (excellent lodging location cos it's in the heart of Seoul's shopping belt where many skincare stores, Korean fashion boutiques and F&B can be found) = Lotte DFS is right here where u can grab all your skincare prodts.

*Gangnam (COEX 24hr mall attached to Convention Centre, but not my cuppa tea) = you can venture to Hyundai Dept Store nearby too, but it's not that big.

*DMZ (you can join this half day tour to visit Imjingak park/Dorasan rail station; can see Gaesong from Imjingak)

*JSA (you can join this one day tour. You must book in advance and provide full passport details, cos need security clearance by US military...Gets you physically to North Korean territory via Panmunjom)

*Itaewon (on the way back from either DMZ/JSA, you can visit this US military shopping street)

*Korean War Memorial (optional)

**Yongpyong Ski Resort, and other Seoul ski resorts

There are many 2D1N tours offered by local tour agencies that you can book from Singapore. Coach picks you up at airport or hotel and takes u there. Ski equipment/attire/1D lessons included in package.

If you just want to see snow, there are 1D tours as well. Bears Town Resort from Seoul couldn’t be easier, as the resort provides a free shuttle bus.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Holiday Ideas