Skiing!!

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Skiing!!

Postby celeste.chua » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi! We just came back from a ski trip (where else but Niseko, Hokkaido) and are now a little bit hooked. Would love to get recommendation on other ski resorts (in Asia / Europe preferably) that would be easy for beginners... yes we are already starting to plan the next ski trip... (can hardly believe myself as I type this - I typically hate the cold and love the tropics!!)

I'd go first -

Niseko is great for beginners learning to ski. Niseko is actually four resorts, all interconnected, though for nobs like us that does not quite matter. We confined our on-slopes activities to Grand Hirafu and Hanazono.

We signed the DSes for ski school with NISS, based in Hanazono. They used the purpose-built Hanazona Magic Carpet area for teaching, which is fab. After four lessons, the kids are faster, more agile and confident than us (or rather, me!) on the slopes. DH and I used another school, Go Snow, and we both agreed that NISS was the better choice for the kids. The magic carpets in Hanazono are also great for practicing on your own if you are not confident of heading to the slopes on your own yet.

We stayed in the Hirafu upper village, so everywhere we turned, we bummed into fellow Singaporeans :) While that's fine, DS1 rightly pointed out that surely, there are other places to ski and explore? Yes, my son too shares my wanderlust...

Looking forward to any thoughts and comments!

celeste.chua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Skiing!!

Postby justMommy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:47 pm

My sister is there now and I heard that there is a snow storm there! Hardly any lifts are open now because of the storm.

By far, I think Vail Resort in Colorado in the best ski resort i've been to. It has great amenities, solid long runs and great accommodation.

justMommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Hakuba, nagano

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby piglet and calf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Austria!
Currently here with my 2 kids age 6 n 5.
Great skiing trip, i sign them up for 4 days in ski school n both can ski in beginner blue slope after day 4.looking at going hokkaido next year to ski as we are hooked to skiing as a family. :)
Will post more information on skiing in Austria.

piglet and calf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am

I also like Vail Resort, Colorado.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 am

Chamonix, France
Mont Blanc, Swiss / France
Les Diablerets, Swiss
Meribel, France

https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Switzerland/

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Fra ... eport.html

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:07 am

celeste.chua wrote:Hi! We just came back from a ski trip (where else but Niseko, Hokkaido) and are now a little bit hooked. Would love to get recommendation on other ski resorts (in Asia / Europe preferably) that would be easy for beginners... yes we are already starting to plan the next ski trip... (can hardly believe myself as I type this - I typically hate the cold and love the tropics!!)

I'd go first -

Niseko is great for beginners learning to ski. Niseko is actually four resorts, all interconnected, though for nobs like us that does not quite matter. We confined our on-slopes activities to Grand Hirafu and Hanazono.

We signed the DSes for ski school with NISS, based in Hanazono. They used the purpose-built Hanazona Magic Carpet area for teaching, which is fab. After four lessons, the kids are faster, more agile and confident than us (or rather, me!) on the slopes. DH and I used another school, Go Snow, and we both agreed that NISS was the better choice for the kids. The magic carpets in Hanazono are also great for practicing on your own if you are not confident of heading to the slopes on your own yet.

We stayed in the Hirafu upper village, so everywhere we turned, we bummed into fellow Singaporeans :) While that's fine, DS1 rightly pointed out that surely, there are other places to ski and explore? Yes, my son too shares my wanderlust...

Looking forward to any thoughts and comments!

Celest, which resort in HIrafu u stayed in?
I went Rutsusu last yr, place was gd with gd powder snow
but no magic carpet , so was very tiring to learn.

I

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby aprillee989 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 am

how about skiing in korea? heard that the tracks there are quite friendly to beginners. Accommodation selections are plentiful too..maybe you can try with Yongpyong resort :)

aprillee989
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby justMommy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:40 am

aprillee989 wrote:how about skiing in korea? heard that the tracks there are quite friendly to beginners. Accommodation selections are plentiful too..maybe you can try with Yongpyong resort :)

Yup a great place for beginners to start. Went there over 14 years ago.

justMommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Maybe can try Snowy Mountains or Mount Bulla in Australia if not too far away.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas