AirBnB - Come share your experience

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

To AirBnB?

Yes, I have and will do so again
36%
No, I have not but will give it a try soon
9%
Undecided
18%
Yes, I have and will not do so again
9%
No, I have not and will not try it
18%
er ... what's AirBnB
9%

Total votes : 11

AirBnB - Come share your experience

Postby tankee » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Come share your experience of AirBnB

:smile:

tankee
Site Admin

Re: AirBnB - Come share your experience

Postby muska » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:59 pm

I used airbnb for Melbourne. Rented 2 bedroom apartment. Big n modern in the city woth good view.

Pros.. same amt of money get bigger nicer apartment, and with view too. Especially if you hv more ppl, airbnb is definitely cheaper n easy to find.

Cons.. need to make arrangement with owner to collect key. Sometimes its hard to hv accurate timing. Also, they expect the apartment condition to be as what they handover to you. So i will tidy the bed, throw rubbish, dry the kitchen utensil n keep back in cupboard. Basically treat it like your own home.

Another prob, most Airbnb hv strict booking rules.. so u cant cancel it after book. Personally i prefer the free cancellation n pay later policy by booking.com or agoda. So i only book airbnb when its really closer to trip like less than 1mth.

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:52 am

First time AirBnB-ed recently

The booking process was smooth and without issue.

Despite having many positive reviews, the apartment was way below expectation; with spoilt air con, shower and lights; dusty shelves and cupboards stuffed with junks. Daily cleaning service only emptied the bins, leaving the floor and toilet bowl uncleaned. No change of towels.

I have not encountered such issue with my booking of apartments via other online websites. Perhaps this is a risk we have to take when using AirBnB.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:59 pm

No way...only if I'm on some cultural exchange prog! :rotflmao:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 am

I've heard some good experiences, but I'm sure there are bad ones too. I haven't tried any, but am considering for the future. I guess going by past recommendations (from known people) may be the best way to go? But someone has to try first!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby muska » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:50 pm

tankee,
I guess you are just unlucky. The 2 airbnb i stayed in mel is absolutely clean..better than my own home..(haha) and brand new too..I chatted with one of the owner, she told me that they hire professional to clean so that it would be good enough for guest. So my prob w airbnb is only limited to I need to take so good care of their house..

Recently my sis who used airbnb at Tasmania, also very happy with her choice..the owner, loaded the fridge full, cupboard full with food, toys etc..and ask them to use as much as they like.

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby i3mum » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm

I have tried booking from Airbnb and stayed in 3 different accommodation before.

1st time- Jeju, South Korea
2nd & 3rd time- Tokyo & Osaka, Japan

The host from Jeju apartment was very warm & friendly. I booked the apartment based on the past reviews. He picked & send us from the airport (2 ways) at no extra cost. He also sat down and helped us to plan our itinerary at Jeju.

For Tokyo apartment, the apartment is small but we have expected that and location was ideal as it was near Shinjuku station.

The apartment at Osaka was a bigger unit and it was new and clean. The host was flexible. Our flight back to Singapore was an evening flight, so instead of paying for an additional night stay, I checked if it is possible to top up some money so that we could check out at 2pm instead of 11am. He agreed and we could rest in the apartment before we lugged our luggage to the airport.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 am

Like every other internet marketplace, there are both good and bad sellers. Reviews are not entirely trustworthy as some are paid reviewers. Nevertheless, if there are reviews from trustworthy reviewers, I think it's a positive sign. I have friends who love/hate their AirBnB bookings. Unfortunately, AirBnB doesn't work for me as I can often find good or equivalent deals from hotels (disclaimer: I can utilize and enjoy aggressive corporate discounts).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thebusybee » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:27 pm

The wonder of internet is one can now read reviews before booking any accommodations, be it hotel, hostels, camp sites, air bnb or home stays.

My experience with airbnb is so far pleasant. First was 4 years back in NYC - a 3 bedroom apartment at mid Manhatton, key collection was easy at designated agent, apartment is clean and at safe neighbourhood. Second stay was a room at Arlington near Washington DC with nice host and location.

Recently we've just got back from OZ, we booked a 3-bedroom apartment near Gold Coast just the night before stay as we can't time our arrival. The host is amazing and responded fast to our problem on parking our 2 campervans. We've decided to stay the 4th night and he offered another house just right at the beach with amazing views, we even invited him to join our bbq dinner feast! Both family enjoyed the stay.

What muska said is right, we have to treat the place like our home and return with close to original condition when took over. Airbnb is providing travelers with home away from home type of stay.

Before booking, I'll do my homework - read those listings with the most positive reviews, check the location, mark them as my favourites. Send owner/agent messages to ask questions to clear doubts, or check more details (like key collection, uncertainty of arrival time) before actually book it.

I will continue to book accommodation via airbnb when there's a need to.

*note- i think airbnb is good when you need to cook and do your laundry, laze around at the 'home' with great views.

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lexis » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:53 pm

Excellent experience with Airbnb in Italy - Rome, Venice, Florence.

Like the other say, need to do a lot of research, read reviews carefully and communicate with the host before arrival to clear any doubts. It is a very economical option for families travelling together, and yet want their own space/bathroom and self-catering/laundry facilities.

Am perfectly open to trying AirBnb again!

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas