Changi Airport Overseas Wifi Router Rental

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Changi Airport Overseas Wifi Router Rental

Postby jetsetter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi

Has anyone rented an overseas wifi router from Changi Airport before? I heard it's pretty worthwhile as the entire family can use it, provided they walk close to one another :)

Am thinking of renting 1 for my trip...

How's the GPS signal/reception of those rented out by Changi Airport?

https://www.changirecommends.com/owifi.aspx
Last edited by jetsetter on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Changi Airport Overseas Wifi Router Rental

Postby Dnls_mum » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:21 pm

I used it for Japan on one of my short trips last year as it was cheaper for a short trip compared to getting a local sim which was at that time more worth it for longer trips. Reception was good and it was easy to use. But then I had DH with me. Hehehe

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:37 pm

OK I need to call my Telco to compare too.
Tks!

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:52 am

On the same website, they are selling SIM cards for oversea use as well.

Take the Taiwan card for example, https://www.changirecommends.com/deal.aspx?id=1818
It costs $19 for 7 days of unlimited data. If you rent the router for 7 days,
it will cost you $35 at current promotion.

Think I would rather buy the SIM card and put into a phone, then turn on mobile tethering
so as to share the data with my family....essentially turning the phone into a router.

Alternatively, you can buy your own 4G router (https://www.hachi.tech/categories/NETWORK/MROUTER)
for $100+ if you don't like tethering. $100+ is equivalent to about 10 - 20 days of rental. So you would
have broken even with a trip or two.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby floppy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 am

It's a good deal if there are multiple users/devices in the family (connect up to 6 devices IIRC). If you intend to connect 1 or 2 devices to the internet, a SIM card (with mobile tethering) is a better deal.

It's also a good deal if you are visiting multiple countries at the same time (the cost of SIM cards allow will make this a good deal). That said, please check that the router is usable in the country you intend to visit (e.g. some Eastern European countries are not supported).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby CheerioMama » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Exclusive overseas Wifi Routers* for DBS/POSB Cardmembers:

• Taiwan: S$3/day
Promo code: DBSWIFI3

• Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong & China: S$7/day
Promo code: DBSWIFI7

• Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, USA & Australia: S$10/day
Promo code: DBSWIFI10

• Europe: S$16/day
Promo code: DBSWIFI16

Enter promo code upon checkout to enjoy the offer.

Promotion period
23/02/2016 to 28/02/2017

Visit http://www.changiwifi.com/?utm_source=d ... bswificode to book now.

Terms and Conditions
1. *Valid for travel till 31 Mar 2017.
2. DBS General Promotion Terms & Conditions apply. Visit www.dbs.com.sg/dbscardstnc for details.

CheerioMama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CheerioMama » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Which router or prepaid sim do you use for California ?

Nb. Changirecommends don't charge for the first day of use.

CheerioMama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby The Chemistry Clinic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:44 pm

jetsetter wrote:Hi

Has anyone rented an overseas wifi router from Changi Airport before? I heard it's pretty worthwhile as the entire family can use it, provided they walk close to one another :)

Am thinking of renting 1 for my trip...

How's the GPS signal/reception of those rented out by Changi Airport?

https://www.changirecommends.com/owifi.aspx

I used it for my recent trip to Taiwan. Pre-booked and collected from Changi Airport before departure. First day fee was waived and charged at S$5 per day. When collecting, the router comes in a pouch with simple instructions and a charging cable.

We had a total of 4 devices hooked to the router. It was easy to link up the devices to the router and speed was good. In fact, we hardly use the free wifi given by the hotels as we were hooked to the device most of the time, It was convenient as we did not have to buy local prepaid SIM on arrival, mess with the switching of SIM card and using that phone as the portable hotspot. One inconvenience was that there is no free local calls (which you will usually get bundled with a prepaid SIM card with data) and the battery of the router seems to run down rather quickly. We had the router turned on all the time on the first day and the battery was flat by the evening. Subsequently, we either switch it off when touring the places of attraction and switch it on when we were having our rest, having meals etc. This was easily solved using a portable charger, too.
In Taiwan, not having free local call was ok as we communicated with the locals using LINE. I arranged with the driver using LINE messaging when in Singapore and he called me using LINE upon arrival to locate me. We used whatsapp to call back to Singapore.

Hope the above information is of help.

The Chemistry Clinic
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lexis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:53 pm

ever since m1 introduced their Data Passport - i've been using it for all our m1 accounts. No need to change SIM card, and uses your existing data plan. The prices range start from $10 for countries like Thailand, and $25 for Japan.

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jetsetter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:02 pm

lexis wrote:ever since m1 introduced their Data Passport - i've been using it for all our m1 accounts. No need to change SIM card, and uses your existing data plan. The prices range start from $10 for countries like Thailand, and $25 for Japan.

I went to m1 to enquire about this data passport as well, but it seems rather expensive for long haul sectors.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas