Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

Postby rains » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of flying to Hong Kong for this year's CNY. However, as Hong Kongers are also Chinese, I am worried that the shops would be closed and we would be as bored as we would have been if we had stayed in Singapore.

Has anyone been to Hong Kong during CNY and could advise on the feasibility of this idea?

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

Postby MyBaby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:55 am

Hi rains,
I was in HK during CNY with my family in 2012 and 2014. During the days before first day of CNY, the shops have extended shopping hours (even up to midnight) and all eateries are opened. On CNY Eve, we arranged to have reunion dinner at restaurants in hotels [I emailed restaurants directly to reserve] and visited the flower market in Victoria Park [very very crowded].

On first day of CNY, most shops, especially those in shopping malls are open by noon time. We visited the 10,000 buddha in one year and Wong Tai Sin Temple [very crowded but good crowd control] in the other year in the morning followed by lunch and shopping.

Most local eateries (cha chang tang) are closed but fast food chains (MacDonalds, Starbucks etc) and restaurants in hotels are opened during CNY. Some 'popular eateries' will be closed on CNY Day 1 and 2 and we didn't visit the outlying islands - just used the MTR and trams to travel in HK Island and Kowloon.

There is a night parade one CNY Day 1 [went only in 2012] and fireworks display on CNY Day 2 [went in 2014]. You can check out schedule and location at
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/seasia/ ... ations.jsp

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

Postby rains » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you for taking the time to share, MyBaby.

Eating at fastfood joints and Starbucks during CNY seems a little sad but the other activities seem interesting. Will take time to deliberate over this. Thanks again!

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Holiday Ideas