[Fun Poll] Holidays 2018 - Where You'll be Going

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Where your family will be going in 2018 for holidays?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Holiday-ing in good old Singapore ! :imcool:
8%
Malaysia - ringgits rate is very good :drool:
6%
Japan - Yokoso
15%
Australia - G'day mate
11%
China
4%
Hong Kong
4%
Taiwan
8%
South Korea - yeoboseyo
4%
Indonesia
2%
Thailand - Land of smiles :)
7%
Camodia
No votes
Vietnam
1%
Myanmar
No votes
Philippines
No votes
India
1%
Sri Lanka
1%
Pakistan
No votes
Tibet
No votes
Middle East
1%
Britain \ Scotland \ Ireland
3%
Eastern Europe
2%
Central Europe
4%
Western Europe
2%
Scandinavia
3%
New Zealand
8%
Africa
No votes
Canada
No votes
United States
1%
South America
No votes
Others
1%

Total votes: 95

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Re: [Fun Poll] Holidays 2018 - Where You'll be Going

Post by .zeit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Last edited by .zeit on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:78

Post by Estéema » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 pm

annalee wrote:Hi,

Anyone went to Austria during Dec period? Worth going? Are the attractions still open whole day?
Worth doing an opera, musical or play. We did a few for the period we were there.

Try Austrian farm or winery visits & an authentic Austrian traditional Christmas meal. We found a restaurant worth trying which is within walking distance fr one of the train station. Will try to get the name of restaurant for u if I can find the namecard.

Do try their local ice cream. I’m sure it’s an exciting treat in winter. Everyday we’ll try diff flavors. Esp after our museum visits.

Diff destination : There’s a Swan Lake in Berlin till 4 Dec with double the usual dancers & will be grand. Pity cldnt make it.

annalee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by annalee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks Esteema, sounds good:)) Will check out Swan Lake...I have been wanting to see that actually!

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

I think in Wien, it's mostly classical operas, ballet and philharmonic/symphony orchestra performances that one must watch, not so much musicals or plays (those are hotter in UK & US).
Last edited by .zeit on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:54 pm

floppy wrote:Nippon yo!
you went and came back?

annalee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by annalee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:18 pm

.zeit wrote:I think in Wien, it's mostly classical operas, ballet and philharmonic/symphony orchestra performances that one must watch, not so much musicals or plays (those are hotter in UK & US).

Esteema: Which musical did you watch? I caught 'Romeo and Juliet' Ballet at Staatsoper, Vienna Choir and classical music at Schönbrunn :-)

If time permits, please watch more at Hoffburg Imperial and another at Kursalon. :moneyflies:

Thought you went there in summer? I didn't know Austrian orchards, farms and wineries are open in Dec. Only citrus fruit orchards are available in winter, right?

Actually ice-cream must go with sachertorte! The stuffs you must try before departing from Austria are:
1) Sachertorte
2) Apple Strudel
3) Schnitzel
4) Melange Viennese coffee
5) Maner wafers
6) Gulasch

For Dec, it's the time-honoured classic, 'The Nutcracker' everywhere in Europe, including at Wiener Staatsoper. For the latter, they are running 'Hansel and Gretel' and 'The Bat' this Dec too. Gotta check the 2019 calendar as I noticed certain ballets and operas (save 'The Nutcracker') I had in the years of my visits are no longer showing in the 2018 calendar. However, you will always have Vienna Choir Boys, Strauss, Mozart, Haydn performances in various concert halls :-)
Already looking forward to all that you have mentioned..thanks. Just one thought, are their concert halls child-friendly or do they frown upon young children (preschool age to lower pri age) making a little bit of noise?

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

annalee wrote:Already looking forward to all that you have mentioned..thanks. Just one thought, are their concert halls child-friendly or do they frown upon young children (preschool age to lower pri age) making a little bit of noise?
If you're talking about Staatsoper and Volksoper, they welcome kids thru a slew of kiddo progs and shorter concerts (matinees). At Staatsoper, kids can get in at a flat rate of 15euros for any price categories for full-length concerts. There is no age limit per se. If you want to bring them in to watch full-length concerts for adults, just use your own good sense/judgment, as diff kiddos react/behave diffrerently in an enclosed theatre setting.
Last edited by .zeit on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yvonne@ideactio
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Yvonne@ideactio » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi there!

I am from Ideactio, a design & business consultancy, and we are currently doing a research project to understand people’s needs when it comes to travelling.

We are looking for interview participants who have travelled overseas for a vacation in the past 1 year, or are looking to travel in the next 1 year.

The interview will be conducted at a place and time of your convenience (preferably during work hours), and will last approximately 1 hour. Interviewees will be compensated accordingly with Capitaland Mall vouchers :)

If you’re interested, please fill in this form to help us affirm your eligibility. Please note that only selected participants will be contacted!
https://ideactio.typeform.com/to/YQyMLE

Joyymum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by Joyymum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Floppy / .Zeit

Finally I am going back to SG. Now am resting at the Business Class Lounge at Dubai airport. Oh my it’s so small here in the Dubai airport business class lounge compared to our SQ SilverKris lounge in Changi Airport. But the buffalo wings, laksa and satay served at the Ahlan Business Class Lounge are yummy.

Ok cannot complaint much since DH paid for the business class tickets. I really enjoy our SQ business class cabin. :please:

Ok we went to Coya and Nusr.Et and both are at the Four Seasons hotel !
The Four Seasons hotel is so nice unlike the one in SG.

I highly recommended both restaurants. No regrets!
My favourite at COYA was the Sea Bass Cazuela and it’s the most expensive dish among the others we ordered Lol.

My dinner appt at Nusr.Et was at 8pm on a Sunday and suprisingly the place was half empty and crowds only came in slightly later and slowly filled up the restaurant.

I also went to another nice restaurant Zuma. The atmosphere is very nice and classy with a cozy bar at the higher level. However the price is not cheap. I would go there again the next time I visit Dubai.

Oh and we’ve tried the Dune bashing and camel riding and it’s an unforgettable experience !

Overall, we really enjoyed our Dubai trip !
:rahrah: :smile:

AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by AnneS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am

Staying here in SG with the fam. So many places we have yet to explore! Any suggestions for a best staycation?