Travel: USA - Florida/Orlando

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: USA - Florida/Orlando

Postby lovejoypeacce » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 am

Thinking of making a trip there this year. But not sure if we should go in June or Dec..

Can anyone advise? is June sweltering hot? Don't really fancy queuing in the hot sun! but the trade off is longer day versus shorter daylight during Dec...

Other than the Magic Kingdom, Apcot Centre and Kennedy Space Centre, what attractions should we not miss? How about shopping?? :love:

I am going with my girls who are 12 and 11 years old.

thanks!!

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Travel: USA - Florida/Orlando

Postby lwm99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:48 am

There are 4 main parks at Disney World, which you have named 2. Also some say the Universal Studio there is one of the best theme parks in the world. You could get a few days pass for Disney, but after a few days you may get bored with theme parks.

June could be warm, even month like November can hit 30 degrees.

lwm99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 am

DW thinking of heading there this year since the exchange rate is good.

planning to DIY. Mainly Orlando for theme parks & shoppings.

Any hotel recommendation?

:wink:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jtoh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:53 am

You should visit Universal Studios while you're there. There's Harry Potter's wizarding world of magic which kids will go gaga over. There's also a factory outlet, typical of those around US.

Weather - It'll be hot in summer. In Dec, weather is unpredictable. It can be very hot some days or freezing another. Temperatures will dip in the evening and can be really cold especially if you're not dressed for it after a hot day in the park.

There's lots of accomodation around the parks. You can stay on-site, which is more convenient and enjoy park preferences. But these are rather pricey. Off-site accomodation is less pricey and some of them are Disney-themed as well.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm

thanks.

so beside Disneyland's 4 different worlds, universal studios, factory outlets and kennedy space centre, is there any must see / must do / must go / must eat places? :oops:

:wink:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Idono » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:25 pm

I would suggest the early Dec period.

Idono
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:27 am

my business associates based in Orlando say the weather in dec is good....nearer to equator hence not so cold, they do not even need winter clothes. told to me while we were stuck in the recent NY ice and snow
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 am

For those who are planning for the USA Disneyland/Disney World, the best time to go is the 2 weeks after their Thanksgiving Holiday, that is the lowest attendance week throughout the whole year. That's means less queueing in the theme parks.

For DIY planning, I recommend gettting a disney guide book from the library - there are lots of info there including day plan on how to maximise your trip and the rating of the various rides based on your kids age.

For good deals on Disney, you can check out http://www.mousesavers.com/

I planned a trip to California few years back with the above.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Just learn that there will be a new Legoland in Florida, starting in October 2011.

said to be 45min drive from orlando theme parks.

http://florida.legoland.com/

tankee
Site Admin

Postby windows » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Sounds like a trip that can hit many agenda in one! How long is the traveling time from SG to Orlando? 30hrs? Which airline is the most economical?

windows
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas