Travel: Taiwan - Taipei

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Travel: Taiwan - Taipei

Post by Musicstar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi,

I am planning to go in October. Anyone has took package tour ? This i my first trip there and I have no idea to plan for free and easy so to take package tour is my choice.

What should i consider if I take package tour?

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Musicstar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi,

I am planning to go in October. Anyone has took package tour ? This i my first trip there and I have no idea to plan for free and easy so to take package tour is my choice.

What should i consider if I take package tour?

simplycho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by simplycho » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi everyone, I'm planning for a trip to taiwan in Dec and will be bringing my kids and parents along.. I have only been to taipei but not outside taipei and I'm thinking to include some farm activities during my upcoming trip.
I gathered that Flying Cow Ranch is in Miao Li and Cing Jing farm is at Cing Jing.
May I know the following:
1) Of the 2 places, Flying Cow vs Cing Jing Farm, are there activities to do within walking distance of the accomodations?
2) I'm not planning to visit any mountains like Sun Moon Lake or He Huan Shan as we are quite afraid of heights.. Does getting to Flying Cow or CJ farm require driving up long winding road?
3) Is it possible to reach CJ or Flying Cow via HSR in Taipei?

We're thinking to take HSR to CJ or Miaoli then hire a driver just to send us to n fro our accommodation and spend 2N either at Flying Cow or CJ and not require driver during our trip there

thanks!

snggy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by snggy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:22 am

simplycho wrote:Hi everyone, I'm planning for a trip to taiwan in Dec and will be bringing my kids and parents along.. I have only been to taipei but not outside taipei and I'm thinking to include some farm activities during my upcoming trip.
I gathered that Flying Cow Ranch is in Miao Li and Cing Jing farm is at Cing Jing.
1) Of the 2 places, Flying Cow vs Cing Jing Farm, are there activities to do within walking distance of the accomodations?
2) I'm not planning to visit any mountains like Sun Moon Lake or He Huan Shan as we are quite afraid of heights.. Does getting to Flying Cow or CJ farm require driving up long winding road?

We're thinking to take HSR to CJ or Miaoli then hire a driver just to send us to n fro our accommodation and spend 2N either at Flying Cow or CJ and not require driver during our trip there

thanks!
- I have not been to flying cow but went to cing jing. There are paths which you can walk and enjoy nature there. Most activities are at the farm.
- CJ require driving winding road. It is on the mountain so you cannot avoid that. For Flying Cow, I think it is at lower grounds. There is not much winding road.
- Not possible for CJ. When reach station, you need vehicle to drive you up the mountain. FC maybe easier but also will need transport to there from HSR.

Since you are going with parents, I suggest drop idea of HSR. Get a driver. Easier. Good for old folks as they walk less and have seat every time when you travel. Also don't need carry luggage since they are in the car. You can free your hands from luggage and can enjoy with both kids n parents. My mum simply loves it when I brought her 2 years back with a driver. :smile:

simplycho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by simplycho » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am

thanks for the advice! yes planning to get a driver from rail or train station to ranch/farm but my kids n parents love the scenic route on train so thinking of what other trains there are

my main concern is the dangerous mountain roads which my folks are worried about too so shall skip CJ

if anyone has idea of route up to Flying Cow, pls let me know!

macaron12
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by macaron12 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Anyone has hotel/minshu to recommend for Alishan?
Saw Alishan house/hotel via online booking website at S$4xx per night :sweat:
Any other option? Near train with convenient stores nearby? Thanks.

andyz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by andyz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 pm

thanks for the useful info! So timely! I'm going to Taipei next week, I've already booked tickets at https://www.iflyfirstclass.com/los-angeles-taipei for sale. We're going to stay in Songshan district, it isn't particularly center-city, but there are several temples, as well as the popular Raohe Night Market. Rainbow bridge is also here.

Susan Koh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Susan Koh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm

simplycho wrote:Hi everyone, I'm planning for a trip to taiwan in Dec and will be bringing my kids and parents along.. I have only been to taipei but not outside taipei and I'm thinking to include some farm activities during my upcoming trip.

thanks!
1)You can choose to stay at Flying Cow or just do a day trip there. In terms of activities, there is a huge farm and kids can feed the animals, milk cows, pet rabbits, etc. I brought my girl when she was 4 years old and she enjoyed the experience. You can see some of the activities and photos on my blog, https://ajugglingmom.com/first-farm-sta ... cow-ranch/

Cing Jing Farm is just sheeps, sheeps and more sheeps. Oh they also have horse riding and shows too but between the 2, Flying Cow is more interesting for kids. If you're going to CJ Farm, can also visit Small Swiss Garden (瑞士小花园) and Carton King that is not far from it.
https://ajugglingmom.com/green-green-gr ... cing-jing/

2) He Huan Shan is a long and windy journey so do take short break to get fresh air.

3) HSR doesn't get you to CJ and Flying Cow.

When we were at CJ, we didn't have a driver to take us around as everything was near the minsu we stayed. The minsu even provided transport to CJ Farm and I remember walking to Small Swiss Garden and Carton King from the minsu.

snower
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by snower » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi planning a 4 day trip to Taipei in mid December. Is it worth doing a day trip to Huelien?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by floppy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:49 pm

snower wrote:Hi planning a 4 day trip to Taipei in mid December. Is it worth doing a day trip to Huelien?
You are planning 4 days in Taipei or 4 days to Taiwan?

If it's the latter, the extra leg to lug you from Taipei to Hualien isn't worth it (unless you really, really, really - maybe I should emphasis it again - really, has nothing else to do).

If it's the former, you would probably have to work it into your itinerary.