All About Luggage

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Post Reply
outsider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Aug 28,

Post by outsider » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm

My luggage's rubber wheels were damaged. Any recommendation for repair shop? Thanks in advance

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jul 24,
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 pm

outsider wrote:My luggage's rubber wheels were damaged. Any recommendation for repair shop? Thanks in advance
For Samsonite, the repair centre is at Plaza Singapura. I do see another shop at Shaw Shopping centre that repairs luggage as well. But I've no idea how much it cost. Have you tried those yellow pages?

outsider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Aug 28,

Post by outsider » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:16 pm

trying to get recommendations from the forum first b4 using other sources.
Thanks MMM.

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:22 pm

outsider wrote:My luggage's rubber wheels were damaged. Any recommendation for repair shop? Thanks in advance
I came across this ad many years ago and my husband had his leather shoes repaired by them. Since then, I have recommended them to quite a number of friends and all came back satisfied.

Haha, I sound like a salewoman, but no, not related to them and of course, no commission involved! :lol:

http://www.mirrco.com.sg/

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jul 24,
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:17 pm

tankee wrote:I do not want to risk the suitcase breaking down on me while I am on a trip, worst while being loaded / unloaded from the plane. I have seen people wrapping their broken suitcase with tapes at the airport.

:D
Just wanted to share this.

We bought a delsey luggage during the warehouse sale last year. Pil brought the luggage for their China trip last year. Hubby brought it to the US recently and he was supposed to do many transits in between and we were supposed to meet in Korea right after his US trip.

On his arrival in US..... the luggage actually tore :x I happened to be in US (different parts) at that time with our samsonite. As I will be going back to Spore before meeting him in Korea, we decided that he need the bigger delsey luggage. It was really terrible.... Yes, they had to tape it. Fortunately, we have the habit of bringing extra folder bags. So he actually packed all his stuff into the extra bag and then pack the bag into the torn luggage. I saw the torn bag in Korea. :|

Couldn't believe the quality. My samsonite survived many trips with me but this delsey only lasted 2 trips. Told hubby that we will stick to samsonite for good. It's not a pleasant experience to be stranded overseas with a torn luggage.


Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4160
Joined: Tue Sep 16,
Total Likes:75

Post by Pen88n » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:35 pm

MMM wrote:
tankee wrote:I do not want to risk the suitcase breaking down on me while I am on a trip, worst while being loaded / unloaded from the plane. I have seen people wrapping their broken suitcase with tapes at the airport.

:D
Just wanted to share this.

We bought a delsey luggage during the warehouse sale last year. Pil brought the luggage for their China trip last year. Hubby brought it to the US recently and he was supposed to do many transits in between and we were supposed to meet in Korea right after his US trip.

On his arrival in US..... the luggage actually tore :x I happened to be in US (different parts) at that time with our samsonite. As I will be going back to Spore before meeting him in Korea, we decided that he need the bigger delsey luggage. It was really terrible.... Yes, they had to tape it. Fortunately, we have the habit of bringing extra folder bags. So he actually packed all his stuff into the extra bag and then pack the bag into the torn luggage. I saw the torn bag in Korea. :|

Couldn't believe the quality. My samsonite survived many trips with me but this delsey only lasted 2 trips. Told hubby that we will stick to samsonite for good. It's not a pleasant experience to be stranded overseas with a torn luggage.
Looks like Delsey's quality not so good now. I've an old Delsey bag with me (>15 years old). It is still in good usable condition, and it has travelled with me on countless business and family trips. Though it doesn't look very big, it is very roomy and able to put in a lot of things. We had trips whereby we sat on top of it to close it due to the amount of shopping we have done. Only thing is it looks old as it has scratches all over.

I also had a samsonite, but I regretted buying it as it cannot hold as much things. I learned that it is better for luggage bag to be "deep" (so it can hold more), vs those which is "half-depth" and the cover provides for the other "half-depth" - those can hardly hold much. Maybe I will go for Samsonite trade-in to get another "deeper" luggage.

tankee
Site Admin
Posts: 17926
Joined: Tue Jun 30,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:28

Post by tankee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Delsey's quality is so bad now? :shock: :shock:

Since you had just bought it recently, it should be under warranty. Do bring it back and get it exchanged & see what the Delsey people say.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1364
Joined: Wed Apr 01,

Post by i3mum » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 pm

hi MMM,

Just to check, do you know where to get in HK? I m keen to get them.
MMM wrote:Personally, I am a fan of Samsonite.

I bought my Samsonite luggage while we were holidaying in HK 3 yrs back. For some reasons, Samsonite luggage are very very expensive in Singapore. I saw the same luggage I had at Plaza Singapura few months back and they are selling the same bag for $400+. Think I paid around $200+ in HK. I felt it was a good deal and grab it.

The same luggage had lasted me for at least 5 US trips and numerous regional travels. It was only recently that the extension zip gave way but as it was under warranty, I got it repaired for free and they even provide the service of sending the luggage back to my place. The roller wheels through the heavy usage is still working fine.

I love Samsonite for its durability and reliability. I am also using their laptop bag which lasted me for 5 yrs and it's still good. The only "disadvantage" is that sometimes it's so durable that you cannot find a good reason to buy a new bag.

I got some delsey luggage during the warehouse sale. Just felt that it is not as solid as the Samsonite. My parents also bought a Arnold Palmer roller wheels luggage. Despite the roller wheel, it was difficult to control the luggage, we had to literally "chase" after the luggage.

Have you considered American Tourister??? Think it's the same co. as Samsonite?

My hubby bought a hardcover Samsonite for our honeymoon (11 yrs back). Those hardcover and it's still very solid. So I really associate Samsonite with reliability.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jul 24,
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:17 pm

tankee wrote:Delsey's quality is so bad now? :shock: :shock:

Since you had just bought it recently, it should be under warranty. Do bring it back and get it exchanged & see what the Delsey people say.
I bought it during warehouse sale.... so wonder about the warranty. In any case, Samsonite warranty/ service was really good when they replaced my extension zip. They actually send the luggage back to our house foc.

We threw the delsey away in Korea. It was funny as we put the empty torn luggage beside the dustbin and the cleaner just left it alone for many days. On the 2nd last day, we decided to put the dustin in the luggage and they finally got the message :D

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jul 24,
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 pm

[quote="i3mum"]hi MMM,

Just to check, do you know where to get in HK? I m keen to get them.

[quote="MMM"]

I bought it 3 years back. In TST, there is this lane of shops (parklane??? it's like 2 storey white color building and I got it from a travel shop. Not sure if it still exist.). The same model is gg at $400+ in Spore. So it's really cheap.

Over the weekends, we saw another samsonite with spinner wheels gg at $250 at OG. Think 72-75cm???? Hubby was like... we are gg to HK in november, maybe we buy a luggage there again.

BTW, at the MTR station where you can take a bus to lantau island (the big buddha), they have outlet shops in the shopping mall eg. ralph lauren, etc.... Think samsonite is also there. You might want to check the net.

Post Reply