All About Luggage

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Re: All About Luggage

Post by Zeit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 am

Jennifer wrote: I was looking at both brands, just in case one of the choices was not available at the store, then would still have an alternative .

:wink:
You can visit IMM outlet. There are some Made in Europe Samsonite luggage at one of the travel stores, but not the model you want.
If you want to buy after security checkpoint, there's the Lufthansa shop inside.

Actually, the best way is to buy outside of FRA. Discard your Santa Barbara or any old luggage you bring over, and replace it with the new one there and then. You can get the dept store SA to help you set your PIN on the spot.

At your last EU disembarkation city, bring along the VAT form to the VAT customs counters (GlobalBlue, Premier, etc.) for stamping and submission (choose credit or cash), BEFORE CHECK-IN. The good thing at FRA is right beside the VAT counter, they have heavy duty trolleys for all passengers submitting VAT claims to load their inspected luggage (TBH, they don't inspect at all!). They will then collect your luggage and convey them to the cargo.
Last edited by Zeit on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Zeit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:48 am

If in Germany, many tourists like to go to Lederwaren Hetzenecker (Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt) to buy cheap Rimowa or Samsonite. That place is supposed to sell cheaper luggage than department stores. A lot of Chinese go there. :sweat:

You can buy from any European factory outlets too. Also can claim back VAT.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Zeit,

:thankyou:

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by MyPillow » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Zeit wrote:If in Germany, many tourists like to go to Lederwaren Hetzenecker (Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt) to buy cheap Rimowa or Samsonite. That place is supposed to sell cheaper luggage than department stores. A lot of Chinese go there. :sweat:

A cheap Rimowa cost near $1000 after tax rebate :sweat: a fren bought one in this trip n told me can use 15 yrs. my dh said he can use $1000 to buy many lugggages latest design over 15 yrs :evil:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:70

Post by Estéema » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm

MP,

I wld love to but the top end stuff. But thinking of practicality, wld I use anything for >10 years? Hv I seen anyone going for vacations in one of those old models Samsonites that served us so well in the old days? Anyway, Samsonites are all made in China, and those made in Europe are made in Turkey or other developing European countries. That's how we discovered when buying luggage & recommended Snowball & told by the sales personnel there in Vienna.

DH & I realised this fact & step down our expectations. Hope this helps u make wise decisions. You'll hv more spending money then. :smile:

love1001
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by love1001 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Free Samsonite luggage with Maybank Credit Cards. Condition is to charge at least $500 within the first 2 months.

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/personal/c ... cards.aspx

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:07 pm

Usually, free Samsonites is the low range type.

Nowadays, Samsonites make in China & don't last like it used to. No more value for money.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Zeit wrote:If in Germany, many tourists like to go to Lederwaren Hetzenecker (Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt) to buy cheap Rimowa or Samsonite. That place is supposed to sell cheaper luggage than department stores. A lot of Chinese go there. :sweat:

A cheap Rimowa cost near $1000 after tax rebate :sweat: a fren bought one in this trip n told me can use 15 yrs. my dh said he can use $1000 to buy many lugggages latest design over 15 yrs :evil:
MP,

hubby feels less heartache with the thought of his Lojel being thrown around by baggage handlers at airports :rotflmao:

Which Rimowa model did your friend buy?

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by MyPillow » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 pm

I din ask the model - looks the mid size , the silver one . $1000 I can buy a air tick to Swiss on SQ during promo .
Am using Samsonite , America tourister , harsh pup - oldest is S n hush , 7 yrs to 8 yrs . Time to chg , already value for money . I recommend these brands as I been going to -10c for the past 6 yrs! These luggage’s are quite weather proof . Lately , I saw one sold by winning marketing , can tahan crash (?) abt $200 plus for a big size

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 am

American Tourister is not too bad. We're still using it after 8 years. FinAir lost one of the wheels of or Delsey. It's a very neat luggage but had to say goodbye in our last trip coz it happened at the beginning of our trip. We bought an ACE as replacement.