Travel: China - Fujian

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: China - Fujian

Postby windows » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 pm

any one travel to Fujian without tour packages? any recommendation on driver/accommodation or agency that helps to arrange these? TIA!

windows
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Travel: China Fujian

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 pm

windows wrote:any one travel to Fujian without tour packages? any recommendation on driver/accommodation or agency that helps to arrange these? TIA!

it depends which part of Fujian you are going to.

Xiamen ? Fuzhou ? etc etc

try www.ctrip.com
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thebusybee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:46 pm

My parents, bros and aunties went Fujian several times, visiting grandparents' hometown and relatives, was quite pleasant, probably they are hosted by the relatives there. One of the relative's relative is a driver who brought them around.

The more famous site there is the Wuyi Mountain.

My bro sent me this website when i was planning for my trip to Sichuan & Yunnan last month, quite informative

http://www.backpackers.com.tw

The Chinese has lots of input / blogs on their trips's approach a.k.a.
攻略, just do a search on http://www.baidu.com.cn

For domestic flights, ctrip.com is reliable and provides prompt and friendly service over the phone. Check the site everyday for discounted tickets.

In conclusion, it's possible to go free-and-easy in China, provided you speak Mandarin. (We met a young Japanese man in Jiuzhaigou traveling alone, not able to speak a word of Mandarin, he communicated by writing/reading Kanji)

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby windows » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 pm

thanks for the info.

busybee - we're planning sth similar to yours, visiting hometown etc. did u buy the air tix online or via agency? how abt the accommodation? thanks again

windows
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby thebusybee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:04 pm

windows,

I did not follow them to the 乡下 visits. I'm sure you can check with your local relatives there on transport and accommodations. My family stayed at relative's house during the last 3 visits. I think depend on how 乡下 is your hometown, as you can;t find too decent accommodations in 'ulu' towns. If it's in bigger city, you have more choices of hotels/inns. My usual way is to go online and read about others' review (though not totally believable), most importantly look at the pictures other travelers posted. 8)

My only online experience was the recent trip to Chengdu and Lijiang. You can check price with agency here and compare with the ctrip tickets. There are many domestic airlines in China so no problem in buying online. Very often the domestic flights will delay, due to weather or aircraft problems. It's quite chaotic in the Chengdu and Kunming airports for domestic departures.

btw my grandpa hometown is 福建省南安县34都岭兜乡 :)

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:42 pm

thebusybee wrote:My parents, bros and aunties went Fujian several times, visiting grandparents' hometown and relatives, was quite pleasant, probably they are hosted by the relatives there. One of the relative's relative is a driver who brought them around.
The more famous site there is the Wuyi Mountain.
My bro sent me this website when i was planning for my trip to Sichuan & Yunnan last month, quite informative

ya, Mount Wuyi is one of the Must See in the whole China travel list....

桂林山水甲天下, 不如武夷一小丘

Many years ago i travelled there as a single together with my parents
now I plan to visit it again as parents together with my kids...

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas