Private bus transport to primary school?

Use this forum if you are looking for individual services (eg. Part-time maid, tutors, plumber) KiasuParents.com takes no responsibility for any transactions that take place here.
Last post expiry: 21 days

Transportation to school

Postby fristrom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:25 pm

My kid is registering for P1 next year. If she is unlucky enough, she might be going to school some 10km away. I talked to several schools that she might be getting into, but their school bus only operate within 2km from school.

Is there any small private bus operator that drive kids around? We stay in Bedok, but school could be in Pasir Ris or Hougang.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Transportation to school

Postby SP Mummy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi,

Have you found someone who provide your child for the transportation?

SP Mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fristrom » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Yes. If you are looking for transport, send me a pm.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Private bus transport to primary school?

Postby mcnb » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 pm

The bus company at my daughter's primary school in Yishun will not come to my house near Sembawang. Well that's not completely true. They say they can only pick her up first (very early), then drive to Woodlands to pick up other children, and then drive all the way back to Yishun. Long time on bus since I am maybe 10 minute drive from Yishun.

They won't pick her up last, either. Sounds like they have certain streets they want to drive on, won't change slightly.

I can't find any other bus company that will take her. I thought other nearby schools might be able to but they won't even though it's a simple drop-off only 1 minute away. "We only go to ___ school" is the answer every time. No creative thinking that would result in another paying customer, am willing to pay more than the usual rate.

Any ideas? Is there no company in Singapore that wants this simple job? Of course I can take my child to school and pick up but I also have a baby and thought it would be nice to have bus service. (I dropped off and picked up my daughter in N2-K2 every day because I liked getting to know the teachers, but in P1 you don't actually enter the school...)

Thanks for ideas!

MCNB

mcnb
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Private bus transport to primary school?

Postby LOLMum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm

well, each school has her own designated bus operator. no bus operator from a school would pick and send a child from another school.

the school bus driver did offer you an option unfortunately both parties disagree on the time of pickup.

no creative thinking? well, guess that's your view.

since you are willing to pay more, why not book a cab?

lots of parents (with young child in tow) send their kids to school themselves too. you may not enter the school but you might get to know some of the parents at the gate.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mcnb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 am

Yes, I will take my daughter to school with the baby in tow like the last 2.5 years. You are right about getting to meet other parents.

I think no creative thinking because I assume that bus companies like to get as many paying passengers as possible. If they are going from Yishun to Woodlands and back it seems easy to figure out a way to pick up a child closest to Yishun, last. Instead they want to charge the highest price for the closest child!

I understand that schools each have their own bus company. But just like they pick up children all over, thought maybe they would consider dropping off a child at a school about 2 blocks from another primary school. That is not crazy is it?

Anyway, not arguing with the bus company over their policy. Just surprised no other options besides taxi. Are there no other parents in Singapore who have a problem getting their child to school b/c of bus drivers with fixed routes? There must be at least some working parents who run into this problem.

Ah well. All okay as long as I don't hear any bus companies complain about not making money :)

mcnb
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby alng » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am

Hi, it is not all about convenience and money. The private school bus operators belong to an association and they agree to follow the rules set by the association. On top of that, schools also set rules for their appointed bus operators.

Firstly, no school will allow other buses to enter. If they do, what security do they have? And as parents, we should be worrying. Secondly, if any school bus operator can pick up any student from any school along the way, what kind of competition will this lead to? Thirdly, there is insurance issue to take care. If a bus operator picks up someone whom he is not supposed to pick, the insurance company will not compensate if something happens. You cannot even complain to the school since this is not the designated bus operators appointed by the school.

My dd's school bus passes by one road on the way to send my dd home. I ever requested for the bus driver to let my dd alight along that road once a week for her to go for tuition. The bus driver said no and told me that that road is not his "teritory". He said he could get into trouble with the school and insurance company. But the bus driver can send my dd to anywhere within his "teritory" which he did as sometimes, I asked the driver to send my dd to my office instead of home.

You are not alone in this transport issue. I hope you can find a solution soon.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:57 am

alng wrote:
Firstly, no school will allow other buses to enter.

That is a very impt point, I feel.

As you mentioned, the school will not allow the bus to enter.

And if the student were to drop off OUTside the school, there would be safety concerns, and school buses would not allow students to alight outside the school except if they are going home where the guardian would be responsible to pickup the student. What if something happened to the student on their way to the school? If they alight outside the school gate, would is going to be responsible?

Anyway, the the parents willing to shoulder the responsibility, just train them to take SBS bus lor.. :wink:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddad » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi, do u have the lobang for school bus transporter ?

Daddad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Daddad » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:20 pm

I also face such problem where school bus refuse to fetch him from Serangoon north to sengkang. Don't know what to do.....

Daddad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Looking For...