Secondary school tuition/enrichment

Use this forum if you are looking for individual services (eg. Part-time maid, tutors, plumber) KiasuParents.com takes no responsibility for any transactions that take place here.
Last post expiry: 21 days

Secondary school tuition/enrichment

Postby lexis » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:14 am

Hi, just curious, do most secondary school kids have tuition/enrichment classes? And if so, what subjects and is it group tuition or private tution? what made you decide to get tuition for your child?

is there time for play/relaxation after school and tuition for sec school kids? From what I've read, sec sch kids come back late afternoon most days, so how do you fit tuition/enrichment into their schedules?

Thanks!

ps. my son is in p6 this year, just kpo-ing and thinking if it's possible to do without tuition next year ! TIA! :smile:

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Secondary school tuition/enrichment

Postby webcastuition » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:16 am

According to sunday times poll in 2008, about 97% of the students have some forms of tuition (private tuition, tuition centre...etc)Read article.

Most probably the competitiveness level is high nowadays since many parents want their kids to start ahead of others. Less fortunate for those who have financial difficulties:(

They do have many activities to attend after school, my students always feeling tired and can't really focus during their tuition session with me. So make sure you spend your money wisely when come to tuition.

webcastuition
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Fruitart » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:25 pm

my nephew goes for tuition either late evening or on weekends. He tried to study on his own for first 5 months...couldnt adapt to the increase in subjects. Need tuition which is seeing him improving and maintaining at As.

Fruitart
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 33mama » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Personally, I would like my child in sec to improve on independent learning. As such I did not start him off with tuition. Subsequently I find that he struggles a bit... as such I relented and sent him for Maths tuition. ﹰ

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KM-heart » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Any Chem tutior for Sec 4 and Eng tutior for Sec 2 can recommend ?

KM-heart
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lisayvonne » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 pm

For tuition/enrichment, I think it depends on kids. My daughter is using this tuition beestar for math and ELA, two worksheets per week. She does it every weekend to review stuff learned at school. It's an effective way to encourage her to learn.
Lisa

lisayvonne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby webcastuition » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 am

Adam Khoo. Get motivated first before going for strategies.

webcastuition
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby smum » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:13 am

Those average primary school students need tuition for all 4 subjects. Do they need to continue with tuition in sec school? There are so many subjects so not possible to have so many tuition, right? Will the children be mature enough to study on their own?

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:18 am

smum wrote:Those average primary school students need tuition for all 4 subjects. Do they need to continue with tuition in sec school? There are so many subjects so not possible to have so many tuition, right? Will the children be mature enough to study on their own?

I can't answer the question about how much tuition an average child should have. However, my kids, even the one with learning disabilities, have been studying on their own with minimal supervision since Pr school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smum » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 am

slmkhoo wrote:
smum wrote:Those average primary school students need tuition for all 4 subjects. Do they need to continue with tuition in sec school? There are so many subjects so not possible to have so many tuition, right? Will the children be mature enough to study on their own?

I can't answer the question about how much tuition an average child should have. However, my kids, even the one with learning disabilities, have been studying on their own with minimal supervision since Pr school.

That is so good. Singapore has become a tuition country. Hope we will move towards less tuition. But it is going to be very difficult.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Looking For...