University application

Use this forum if you are looking for individual services (eg. Part-time maid, tutors, plumber) KiasuParents.com takes no responsibility for any transactions that take place here.
Last post expiry: 21 days

University application

Postby labore » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:02 am

Hi parents and students,

Apologies for 'hijacking' this thread as I do not have enough K$P$ points to start a new thread, and my topic is relevant to the title of this thread.

A little bit about myself: I am a scholarship and US/UK/SG universities' admissions consultant as well as a private tutor teaching O and A Level (H1/H2) Chemistry. I was from Dunman High and VJC. I spent more than a decade in the US earning 3 degrees (BS, MS and PhD), plus a stint as a postdoc and also as a lecturer in MIT for a year, teaching freshman Chemistry. I have also taught in two local SG universities upon my return from the US (again, in Chemistry). I also sat as a panel member on various local university scholarship boards, and am a former scholar.

I am looking to tutor about 3-4 students (Sec 3 - JC2) in Chemistry on weekends and at the same time, help them to polish their CV and build up their portfolio if they are aiming to gun for the competitive and prestigious scholarships and universities/courses/majors after their A levels. The second part on CV polishing is optional; am just providing it as a value-added service.

Many scholarship boards and universities are looking for candidates who have that "holistic development and all-round excellence" factor. While academic excellence is important, the 'best' candidates need to also have leadership positions in their CCAs or secure prestigious internships or even run their own startups after JC and NS.

In Singapore, RI, HCI and the other top JCs (including my alma mater) have dedicated tutors to guide their 'best' students through the admissions process to OxBridge and Ivy league universities or locally prestigious courses like medicine or law, training for scholarship interviews or advice from successfully admitted alumni. These help to facilitate and smoothen out the throny and complex process. The students thus have a degree of informational and educational capital that their 'less-elite' peers would unlikely have access to.

Internal differentiation within the elite schools also exist. I know that students in some of the top JCs are excluded from these preparations if they were deemed by the school or teachers to be not academically strong.

So if your school doesn't offer the help or opportunities you need to strive for scholarships or university admissions, or if you want to push yourself, feel free to send me an email:

labore@hotmail.com or pm me.

labore
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: University application

Postby labore » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:23 am

Bumping up this thread again since the A level results were just announced last week and some parents are looking for guidance for their kids' post-A level plans.

labore
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby justMommy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:57 am

What are your charges like?

justMommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby labore » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi, I have pm-ed you.