All about Cancer

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:197

Re: All about Cancer

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:16 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:I never thought women are so 大方 :)

Personally, I don't think I'll remarry. Love is what brought us together and remarrying just makes a joke of the years we spend in our marriage.
I guess it depends on how you regard "Love", and whether it's only once in a lifetime. I expect the love for a 2nd wife will always be somewhat different, although not necessarily less, simply because of different stages of life, different shared experiences etc. As a wife, I would want my husband to continue to have a life partner to share with if he so wishes, rather than live alone simply because he doesn't want to "offend" me or "replace" me. We've been married over 30 years, and I think he would find it quite hard to be alone, especially once the kids are grown. My neighbour, now over 70, lost his wife more than 10 yrs ago to cancer. He remarried about 5 yrs ago and we are happy to see him have someone to talk to, go out with, travel with, with etc. His children have their own lives and are busy with careers etc, and although they visit etc, they don't live with him.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Post by MrsKiasu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 am

slmkhoo, that is about how I feel too..of course in heart I hope for my husband undying love..but what can we do if we ourselves couldn't accompany them, we dont want them to be alone especially when the kids are independent..maybe unless they have very active groups of friends/activities/job to keep them fully occupied..let's pray it wouldn't need to happen and all of us could live into our ripe age.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:197

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am

MrsKiasu wrote:slmkhoo, that is about how I feel too..of course in heart I hope for my husband undying love..but what can we do if we ourselves couldn't accompany them, we dont want them to be alone especially when the kids are independent..maybe unless they have very active groups of friends/activities/job to keep them fully occupied..let's pray it wouldn't need to happen and all of us could live into our ripe age.
Given our families' history, it's more likely that I will have a long widowhood. And I don't think having a second spouse means that the love for the first has "died". The human heart has a large capacity to love. Fidelity to a spouse during that spouse's lifetime is as much a matter of commitment as love.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by janet88 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:38 am

mommyNg wrote: When he relapsed about 1 year later, he was put on a stronger course, and this time he went weak and lost his taste of food. After a few months, he decided to stop all therapy, stayed at home and not see a doctor at all. He wanted quality of life in whatever remaining time he had. But he deteriorated quickly (went very thin), and within 2-3 months, he’s gone.... :sad:
when a relapse happens, the patient is put on another round of chemo. he/she finds it meaningless to suffer the side effects during the course of treatment. I guess this is why he wanted quality of life instead of suffering the treatment.
I really hope scientists would be able to find a cure for this dreadful C.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 am

Loosely speaking, cancer is cells growing out of control and form tumours. Scientists yet to find out the cause when and why cells grow out of control.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Loosely speaking, cancer is cells growing out of control and form tumours. Scientists yet to find out the cause when and why cells grow out of control.
wonder how cousin is...chemo started 3 days ago for his lymphoma.
there is a jab to prevent vomiting. hope he recovers fully.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am

Janet
Chemo is drugs running round the body, aim to kill the bad cells but inevitably killing the gd cells too. Appetite will be affected as this is one of the side effects. Pple say chemo drugs are heaty and need to drink plenty of water.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Janet
Chemo is drugs running round the body, aim to kill the bad cells but inevitably killing the gd cells too. Appetite will be affected as this is one of the side effects. Pple say chemo drugs are heaty and need to drink plenty of water.
chemo is aimed to reach almost all parts of the body to kill the cells...both bad and good ones.
taste buds also lose ability to taste anything...and patient loses interest to eat because of nausea and/or vomiting.
I will never forget how my relative suffered during that period (30 years ago). each time she came home after the treatment, she was suffering the side effects.

back then, she ate birds nest daily....however, recently doctors said birds nest has high level of protein and not advisable for patients undergoing chemo.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, I heard bird nest soup is not recommended for chemo patients

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Yes, I heard bird nest soup is not recommended for chemo patients
there used to be a horse brand birds nest store at jem. it has closed down.
birds nest supposed to nourish the lungs. patients with C would eat this to cool down their body as chemo is heaty.
birds nest is very dirty and now it is bleached...unless one buys top grade and be prepared to remove the tiny bits of black stuff.