Living with Depression

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Re: Living with Depression

Post by MrsKiasu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 pm

heard from 972 this morning on stress related/to help rebound..things to do..loosely summarized..

1) breathing focus exercise..close yr eyes and focus

2) walk - go walk at park etc

3) health - healthy food/diet

4) do opposite type of exercise eg if you always jog then do the opposite slow ones like yoga

5) hug - hugging make you feel being loved not alone

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Janet, maybe let your girl plan her own schedule and don't check whether she has completed her homework and revision. At least until your girl sees a psychologist and the psychologist found the root cause.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:54

Post by Estéema » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:20 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 pm
heard from 972 this morning on stress related/to help rebound..things to do..loosely summarized..

1) breathing focus exercise..close yr eyes and focus

2) walk - go walk at park etc

3) health - healthy food/diet

4) do opposite type of exercise eg if you always jog then do the opposite slow ones like yoga

5) hug - hugging make you feel being loved not alone
Janet,

When you next hug your gal, please give her an extra one from me. I’m the feely type who loves to hug my kids whenever. Just feels right to be connected w/o too much words.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am

Janet, hope you are hanging in there. Do take care of your own moods also.

It is never easy when the one struggling is your own child. Give her lots of assurances, have a sleepover in her room this weekend, get out of the house, have picnic right in the middle of your living room, go kite flying or spend the afternoon at Gardens by the Bay and smell the roses, whatever, just break away from your usual routine.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

Funz wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am

It is never easy when the one struggling is your own child. Give her lots of assurances, have a sleepover in her room this weekend, get out of the house, have picnic right in the middle of your living room, go kite flying or spend the afternoon at Gardens by the Bay and smell the roses, whatever, just break away from your usual routine.
Funz,
looks like I need to let loose of myself too. my brain has always been so fixated on her revision.
for the 2 days I had to refrain myself from asking if she has done her homework...it feels so odd when I see her free.
I think she is able to read my mind...she said the teachers are not teaching anything and no homework as such.
told her to enjoy the OBS camp next week and have fun. I will give myself a break in the meantime.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am

Nebbermind wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm
I heard from friend that about a third or so of the students in a certain IP school needs counselling!!
Stress in school really no joking matter these days!
stress from school...peer pressure, teachers' expectations and homework is really a pressure cooker.
daughter used to enjoy school...but she wrote on the whiteboard on my fridge (which is meant for me to know what food is running out) that she doesn't want to go to school. hope she sweats it out next week and come back as the happy girl I used to know.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 am

Janet
hang on, she will return from OBS camp stronger.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 am
Janet
hang on, she will return from OBS camp stronger.
starlight,
that's what I am hoping for...happy and resilient.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am

janet88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am
Funz wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am

Funz,
looks like I need to let loose of myself too. my brain has always been so fixated on her revision.
for the 2 days I had to refrain myself from asking if she has done her homework...it feels so odd when I see her free.
I think she is able to read my mind...she said the teachers are not teaching anything and no homework as such.
told her to enjoy the OBS camp next week and have fun. I will give myself a break in the meantime.
They need free time to do nothing also. Sec sch hours are long. By the time they get home, it is late afternoon or evenings already. If they have school work to complete, that is another hour or so of work. They barely have any time to truly unwind on weekdays if we still cram in revisions and tuition. How much can the brain absorb if it is constantly put on work mode and not given any time to process what was loaded?

I truly believe that for a healthy mind, we need physical activities, preferably outdoors and we need adequate time to vegetate.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:54

Post by Estéema » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:18 am

janet88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am
Nebbermind wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm
I heard from friend that about a third or so of the students in a certain IP school needs counselling!!
Stress in school really no joking matter these days!
stress from school...peer pressure, teachers' expectations and homework is really a pressure cooker.
daughter used to enjoy school...but she wrote on the whiteboard on my fridge (which is meant for me to know what food is running out) that she doesn't want to go to school. hope she sweats it out next week and come back as the happy girl I used to know.
Let her go free. After OBS , I’m sure she’ll appreciate coming home to mummy & a wonderl & confortable home. She needs her space to grow & stretch too. So does you, need yr own time not to hv to worry abt yr kids. For once tellbyrself yr girl will enjoy OBS and learnbto be independent, so u’re gradually graduating fr right parenthood.