Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

What type of toothpaste did your child use?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Postby GreenQ » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm

nmhmum wrote:
GreenQ wrote: "It will taste hot but we are going to brush quickly. I will count to 5 then it is done!" .


If count to 5, will it be too fast that they may not clean their teeth properly?


I played trick with them. I count slowly... :wink: "One....one....one one one one one one... Two! Two... two... two.. two.. two.. two... Three! Three three three three three. Four! Four.. four.. four.. four......... four! Five! Five... five......five........five...............five!" Sometimes I tell a short story in between counting, juz to drag it longer... haha. Of course after that make sure they gurgle properly.

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:32 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby nmhmum » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm

GreenQ wrote:
nmhmum wrote:
GreenQ wrote: "It will taste hot but we are going to brush quickly. I will count to 5 then it is done!" .


If count to 5, will it be too fast that they may not clean their teeth properly?


I played trick with them. I count slowly... :wink: "One....one....one one one one one one... Two! Two... two... two.. two.. two.. two... Three! Three three three three three. Four! Four.. four.. four.. four......... four! Five! Five... five......five........five...............five!" Sometimes I tell a short story in between counting, juz to drag it longer... haha. Of course after that make sure they gurgle properly.


Haha, very smart of you. :D

nmhmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby autumnbronze » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Okie, pls excuse my ignorance .... :oops:

My 2 and a half is currently using a non-flouride toothpaste cuz he tends to swallow sometimes ... I was under the impression that we should only introduce flouride toothpaste when they are old enough to 'understand' that they cannot swallow while brushing cuz flouride is bad (isn't it some kind of chemical)

Can someone enlighten???

BTW, I have just introduced mint flavour to make the transition into flouride toothpaste easier ... DS didn't like it at first and I took a break, then tried again. This time, it was successful :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11875
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Postby nmhmum » Tue May 11, 2010 1:28 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Okie, pls excuse my ignorance .... :oops:

My 2 and a half is currently using a non-flouride toothpaste cuz he tends to swallow sometimes ... I was under the impression that we should only introduce flouride toothpaste when they are old enough to 'understand' that they cannot swallow while brushing cuz flouride is bad (isn't it some kind of chemical)

Can someone enlighten???

:D


Hi Autumnbronze,

So sorry I also not sure whether it is good to swallow flouride . Anyway, I think it will still be best if your kids already know how to split out the toothpaste before you introduce them the flouride toothpaste :D .

nmhmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby autumnbronze » Tue May 11, 2010 1:32 pm

nmhmum wrote:Hi Autumnbronze,

So sorry I also not sure whether it is good to swallow flouride . Anyway, I think it will still be best if your kids already know how to split out the toothpaste before you introduce them the flouride toothpaste :D .


Okie, thanks :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11875
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63



Postby nmhmum » Tue May 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi,

Just to share. My dd is finally using the flouride toothpaste ( colgate brand) to brush her teeth. Initially she was not used to it, but now she can take the "hot" feeling in her mouth already. But my ds still refuse to change to flouride toothpaste :cry: . I guess I will try to persuade him again. Anyway, thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. Without your contributions, I won't know that flouride toothpaste is infact much more better than non-flouride one in terms of the cleaniless. :D

nmhmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby nmhmum » Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
nmhmum wrote:Hi Autumnbronze,

So sorry I also not sure whether it is good to swallow flouride . Anyway, I think it will still be best if your kids already know how to split out the toothpaste before you introduce them the flouride toothpaste :D .


Okie, thanks :D


U are welcome! :D

nmhmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby agnesost » Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 am

My DD is using Oral B toothpaste.

agnesost
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby minnie2004 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 am

My 6-yo DD's dentist says it's better to use kids' toothpaste with fluoride to prevent cavities. However, adult toothpaste is not recommended as it contains too much fluoride which may cause white spots on teeth. I did a bit of research and found out it's called "dental fluorosis". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fluorosis

I think my kids didn't use any toothpaste before the age of 3. But since they rarely eat sweets, their teeth are still pretty ok. Now my 4 yo DS is using non-fluoride and DD is using the non-fluoride in the morning and fluoride for kids before bed.

minnie2004
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby julia.sadie » Mon May 17, 2010 1:34 pm

According to experts, when choosing a toothpaste for a child, parents should remember a few things:

*Choose a non-abrasive toothpaste because it can damage the enamel.
*The fluoride level should be low, especially if the child is too young to learn to spit out the toothpaste.
*Get toothpaste in flavors that they will like, because adult toothpaste may be to strong for their liking.
* Make sure that it doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) because it causes canker sores.

julia.sadie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 1:13 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to Health

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres