High Fever

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

High Fever

Postby super_dad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:15 am

I think every parent will sure to encounter this during the growing up days of our children. It is definitely very worrying when you find the fever shooting up to 40C. My girl herself was warded in the hospital for 6 days due to high fever on her 7th week.

How do you people cope with this? I think the sharing would help all new parents.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: High Fever

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am

super_dad wrote:I think every parent will sure to encounter this during
the growing up days of our children. It is definitely very worrying when you find the fever shooting up to 40C. My girl herself was warded in the hospital for 6 days due to high fever on her 7th week.

How do you people cope with this? I think the sharing would help all new parents.

Oh dear...touch wood, the highest my boys ever reached is 39.5 degrees. I used brufen, paracetomal and fever patch. plus sponging throughout the night to bring down the fever. the worse ever is when i was down with fever with my infant. tiring, but have to wake up at night every 30min to monitor the fever and do sponging cos at night is where the temperature fluctuate the most.

I am into cold treatment...no covering with blanket, have to sponge with slightly cold water. However, i mix the cold treatment with some 'warm treatment' (last time i fever, my parents use the warm treatment..ie to cover me in blanket to make me sweat to bring the temperature down) - my ex-colleague used to tell me that when a kid is down with fever, it is important to keep the temperature of the hands and the feet warm. This is so that the heat will not escape through the head to aggravate the fever. Dunno how true, but i will let my boys wear socks if their feet is too cold, and when it is too hot, i will remove.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: High Fever

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:38 pm

The highest my daughter got was 40.1 degrees. It happened when we were in the car quite close to home and she was having a slight fit. We decided to rush back to lower her temperature first instead of going to the hospital. Went for the most effective: brufen oral and paracetamol insert. And sponge with ice water. Fortunately, temperature went down in 10mins to under 38 degrees.

So at home, we must keep the essentials - brufen and paracetamol. The good thing is that you can use both together, but do that only as a matter of last resort. The other things are fever patches (I'm actuallly skeptical of their effectiveness, but when you are desperate, anything goes), and I found a great use for the gel-based "cooling cushions" which you can buy from supermarkets and petrol kiosks for your seats. Put it in your freezer for 20-30mins and take it out when it is slightly hard. Wrap it in layers of towels to prevent moisture condensation and let your child lie on it. It is actually more effective than a sponge because it is able to continuously cool the child for a few hours.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:40 pm

I hope I never get to see 40 degree on the themometer. The highest I was is 39.5 .... used blufen insert then together with the cooling cushion. But I never freeze it. But one thing about the cooling cushion...my boy dont like to sleep on it. will make a fuss and roll to the spot without cooling cushion despite the fever. The blufen alone wil bring the fever down about 1-2 degree for the night.

But I hear blufen insert is not advisable to use regularly, so now I use paracetamol and neurofen only. I also wet a small hankie, fold it into a size that covers the forehead and put it to the freezer. Then when the temp goes too hight I take one of those out and wrap another towel over it and put on the forehead area.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:37 pm

I believe brufen is using the same active component as nurofen, which is ibuprofen... ie. they are all the same using propanoic-phenolic acid. Paracetamol is based on acetaminophen.

That is why you can safely use brufen and paracetamol together in controlled quantities. Just don't use brufen and nurofen together, or panadol and pacofen together. That would be overdosing.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Got one time thermometer showed 42....but then discoverd battery weak....keke.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:54 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:That is why you can safely use brufen and paracetamol together in controlled quantities.

Ya. but my GP suggested that we use in staggered intervals in case the temperature shoots up a few hours after the adminstering of one medication, at least you still have the other medicine to try to bring the temperature back down since the interval between the medication is 6 hourly.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mintcc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:24 pm

same with my GP. Had been able to keep his fever under control that way so far. Touch wood.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sTresSmUm » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:46 pm

I had a really bad experience with my son last year. Fever run up to 40 deg with severe shivering. Whenever i think about it, i will asked myself...why it never occured to me to send him to the hospital??

1) Alternate the ibuprofen and paracetamol every 3 hrs if the temperature is below 39.5 deg

2) Once it goes hit more than than 39.5, doctor might advise to use voren. That is the insert, it will bring the temperature down within 30 mins or so.

3) Sponging is good. Lukewarm is sufficient..Couple of areas that need consistent sponging is not only the forehead. Also the armpit and neck area...

4) I am a die hard fan of the cooling cushion (i do freeze it but will lay another towel on top before putting the child on it. Remove the towel when it's not so Freezing!) and the cooling patch for the head.

5) Called me OLD FASHION, the GOOD old porridge water is another trick i learnt eversince that incident. Whenever my child is down with a fever, first thing i do is let them drink the porridge water mixed with milk or ???? Old folks believed porridge water is cooling.

6) I dun believed in warm treatment, but i do cover him with a thin blanket if i feel that his feets are cold.

Hope i dun have to go thru it again. Simply too stressful and draining for the caregiver.

Speaking of that, anyone has encountered with HFMD?? My son is in nursery now, i am so worried that he will being it BACK and my twins could be one of the victims.

sTresSmUm
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mintcc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:31 pm

My son got it twice when he was in infant care. Both times he had mild fever the first 2 days but is generally active and eating as normal.

The problem is once he have that he can't go to school for a week and we have to keep him home all day in case he spread it to other kids. Of course, there is also the worrying on how he react to HMFD. While his syptom was mild and most kids recover with no problem, there is no medicine of HMFD so anything can happen

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Health